Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New activity with Vega!

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
We are starting Skijoring/Scootering lessons on Friday! I'm so excited! I was looking for an activity that we'd enjoy outside this winter (since I tend to hibernate...) and we will be starting classes to get us ready for Skijoring. Which means I have to get skis on top of the skijoring harness and lead because I haven't skied in a looong time! Oh well, this should be interesting! (I'm the ultimate klutz!) Vega loooves to run, so hopefully she'll take to this.

Here's the website:
http://www.awarenesspet.ca/

Any comments on this instructor/school are appreciated as well.

And yes, as soon as I have some, I'll post pics ;)

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Yes,pics,you better! I just find out Mafiaprincess is a ski instructor,she might be able to help you? Cool activity. For me,I think I'll just hibernate.

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
I know, I just read your post on the other thread... and that's exactly what I thought!!! I'll need all the help I can get!

mafiaprincess
October 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
OMG, that rocks, I wanna come and play with you!!
Why can't you all live closer!

I don't cross country ski anymore though.. I did as a kid.. I'm a downhill ski instructor.

Make sure you go to a good place for equipment. Both nordic and alpine equipment have changed a great deal in the last 5ish years. I've gotten some weirdo horror stories from students about going to purchase new stuff last winter and having sales people try to get them to buy the old standards.. like longer skis than people use anymore and stuff.

Man Cider is 7 pounds too light to skijor *pout*

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the advice on the equipment, Mafiaprincess! I think I'll ask my boss for her recommendations, she's an avid cross country skier.

As for downhill... well, I have a big problem with hills!!! I'm terrified of hills. Not of heights, of going down from heights. I've gotten stuck on house roofs twice, couldn't go down the ladder. And I tried to "get over it" and take a rollercoaster ride: I had a panick attack just walking towards it. Sooo, no downhill skiing for me!!! But I'm sure you're a great instructor :thumbs up

Oh! I really can't wait to try this, even with the scooters...

mafiaprincess
October 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
LOL, man, everyone seems to have a ski horror story, or issues with even the thought of downhill skiing lol.

It looks like a blast though, I hope you and Vega have a rocking time. I want pics of this since I can't go play!

Lissa
October 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Skijoring is so much fun! Dodger and I had great fun last year - although we pretty much went where he wanted to go:p!

Once your dog knows how to pull, you can find ways to do it year round - assuming Vega enjoys it of course. Dodger pulls the bike trailer and helps me pull up tree roots around our property. For conditioning in the non-winter months, Dodger pulls a tire! He took naturally to pulling:rolleyes: :angel:

Dodger and I bought the equipment and trained ourselves - its not difficult and since we have a golf course around the corner, it was perfect. Unfortunately, you won't be welcome on "normal" trails so I hope you can access the schools trails frequently!!
I have never heard of that school but I like that they do TTouch! I am in the other end of Ottawa though so that probably explains it!

erykah1310
October 2nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
A tad off topic again ( sheesh i go through stages where I can not stay on topic)
In highschool my good friend had horses and we hooked them up with a bareback saddle and rigged ourselves up just right and ski'd behind the horses. It was so much fun, wonder what that would be classified as??

Erika and Jackies new winter olympic sport

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Actually, skijoring is done with both horses and dogs!

Lissa: That's why I'm taking classes: I'd like just a bit of control on where she's going!!!

mummummum
October 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Mafiaprincess ~ "Dog Paddling Adventures" (I think that's what they are called) organizes skijooring, snowshoeing, hiking and canoeing trips in our part of Ontario.

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! I went camping/canoeing with them (and Vega) this summer!!! 9 people, 9 dogs, 5 canoes! We had a blast!

mummummum
October 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah - I think it's a great organization and everybody involved seem to be real dog-people. One of these days, I'll get my life organized enough so that we can do it...:cloud9:

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! I went camping/canoeing with them (and Vega) this summer!!! 9 people, 9 dogs, 5 canoes! We had a blast!
Wow,that sounds sooo cool! The doggies must be going :crazy: :party:

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
If you want to see some pics, they're on here
http://lynebrosseau.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_blogpart=myspace&_c02_owner=1&_c=blogpart

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Wow,it looks so cool.All the doggies playing around and it looks like you guys are very organize,do you have to put out the tents youselves ? (I never been camping :p )

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 11:16 PM
We had one guide with us (she was great!) and she's the one who is organized!!! All we had to bring is clothes, a sleeping bag and our dog's food. Everything else is supplied by the company.

But yes, you have to put up your tent. But you share it with another person, so you can choose someone who knows a bit how to do it. If you want to come next summer, you can bunk in with me!

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well it looks pretty cool and I didn't take any vacation this year so I should do something special next year. And my dogs could "take it" (older dogs) if it's mostly canoe,they don't have to do anything !

Lissa
October 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
Lissa: That's why I'm taking classes: I'd like just a bit of control on where she's going!!!

LOL - I enjoyed the rather random path we'd take - although going downhill into the creek was traumatizing! It's sorta depressing now that he actually listens to me - we had more adventures when he chose the way:evil:
I hope to see pics soon!:)

mafiaprincess
October 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
You know.. I was all whooo about the dog scouts of america till I figured out while in some provinces, they aren't here...
Then I found about 'dog camps' like you and your dog.. not just them going on a vacation and got all whoo.. but though talked about I could only find one in Ontario that was like I wanted.. but it's one trip in September to their location..
I can find places like that with sessions 4 days to a week in the states.. sounds like such fun though..

I'll go re look at dog paddling adventures if they do other stuff.. canoeing isn 't for me, but other activities might be. Thanks.