Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 yr old choc lab

dog woman
October 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
I am trying to find out info for my sister she recently apoted a 2yr old choc lab from a humane society. So if there are any lab owners out there any ifo would be great thanks!

cpietra16
October 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well I have an 8 year old yellow lab. I can tell one thing about labs...they really have a bottomless pit for a stomach and they love to run and they love to swim. My lab matured to a level of "OMG what have you done?" to a level of "Good Girl" by the time she was 4 years old. I must say I did enjoy her 2 year old stage, although I lost many good pairs of shoes in the process:D

les
October 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm also in the lab club ;) I have a 2 year old female chocolate lab and an almost 2 year old black lab mix.

My female is like angel .. except that she needs to be reminded again ... and again ... and again (did I mention again??) not to jump! Although she mostly likes to jump up beside people not on them but it's still pretty silly :eek: On the bright side .. she's really small so people are usually so busy saying ... ohhh look at the puppy ;)

Anyways, she's never chewed anything she wasn't supposed to - and I've had her since 9 weeks!! Pretty good for a lab from what I normally hear .. but she does get 2.5-3.5 hours of running/hiking a day so she's probably too tired to chew anything =)

Prin
October 2nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
I used to have a yellow lab, and now I have two labbish doggies... :shrug:

worrier79
October 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
I used to have a yellow lab, and now I have two labbish doggies... :shrug:

Labs are so smart and so sweet and

WILL EAT ANYTHING!!!

Please tell your sister to be careful in the park with what the dog ingests!

Hunter's_owner
October 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
I have a 5 year old Black Lab. He is very sweet and loveable, but a lot of work. :D :o He has seperation anxiety, and I know it is our fault from when he was a puppy, so now we have to deal with it, but I love him more than anything in the world, so he is worth it.
Other than that, he loves to swim and run with other doggies. He also has to be reminded at times not to jump, but he loves to give kisses to some people...he has his favourites, he don't jump on strangers :shrug: ., Also, he has never chewed anything other than what he was supposed to chew, but we keep him well supplied with chew toys and a black kong.
Hope this is what you were looking for...enjoy your lab :)

Skryker
October 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
I have 2 lab cross pups. Don't know what to add to what everyone else has. They love to wrestle and play and run....and chew. Oh, boy, do they like to chew! Mostly, they chew their toys, but sometimes they forget. And jumping up is still a big deal. They love doing tricks, though.

Keep a lab busy, and then things are great! My 2 are crashed out in the living room with my husband right now, sleeping like the :angel:s they pretend to be.

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 01:19 AM
I have a 2 yr. old yellow lab that loves to chew. They also love to eat too fast so I put a kong in his dish so he has to eat around it to slow him down.

jiorji
October 3rd, 2006, 01:39 AM
well I don't have a lab but I want one :D

good luck with the new doggie
what color eyes does he have? Choc labs with green eyes are sooooooooo pretty :cloud9:

Furbaby Momma
October 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
I share my life with a beautiful Chocolate Lab, and she shares my love with three beautiful Golden's. Retriever's are very energetic and need lots of guidance for the first two to three years of their life, but when they calm down they become the most loyal and loving companion's. Retriever's need excercise for their body and for their minds, a simple walk will not burn enough energy they need to RUN to burn the energy. Then they need to excercise their minds, something I do is take a tape recorder and tape my voice, then I hide it somewhere and say "What's that?? Go find it!" and my Retriever's will search and find it, I tell them "Well done!" When training a Retriever it is good to excercise them first, then teach them a command and praise them for being good, trying to teach an energetic Retriever a command will be frustrating. First command to teach is come then when you let them run to burn the energy you will be confident your Retriever will return, then teach to sit when your Retriever has come to you this will help for the jumping up, and then teach down/lie down.
As mentioned by the other wonderful members above, Lab's love to chew so remove any items that you don't want chewed, and get lots of chew toys. It is a good idea to have a kennel of suitable size for your Retriever so that the Retriever can be safe from destroying household items, and harming themselves. Filling a Kong with some kibble is a nice thing to give your Retriever when you put them in the Kennel so that they have something to occupy their time with, and the kennel will be a happy experience for them.

Thank You to you and your sister for adopting a sweet Chocolate Lab, you will be rewarded 10 times over for loving a Retriever. :love: :pawprint:

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
This thread sounds like Labs-Anonymous.:D

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I have a 2 yr. old yellow lab that loves to chew. They also love to eat too fast so I put a kong in his dish so he has to eat around it to slow him down.

I just re-read this thread and I must have been more tired than I thought last night. :o My lab is not 2 yr. old.....he's 14 1/2 months old. I must be subconciously wishing he was 2 yr. old as that is when they just start to mature. :D

OntarioGreys
October 4th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I used to have a choco lab several years ago, he had green eyes as a puppy which turned to amber, he had lots of energy and as others mentioned loved to chew and chew and chew, I started him off in a crate and then gated him in the kitchen when I went to work, big mistake he gnawed on corners of the kitchen cabinet and table, chewed a hole thru the drywall, and the ripped up aboutl a 1/3 rd of the linoleum floor and shredded it, after that it back to crating so I would still have a house standing and from about 6 months to 2 1/2 years old needed to provide 4 to 6 hours a day of hard exercise like fetching swimming running and later sled pulling no matter what the weather in order to keep him settled down, simple walks would not have been enough exercise for him, I have had other types of hounds but he was definitely the most active dog I have ever owned