Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swiffer

MartiniGIrl
October 2nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
Has anyone had any problems with their pets while using Swiffer WetJet or the Swiffer Wet Cloths to clean your floors?

mastifflover
October 2nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
No I use one on my floors and they are pet friendly. I was also concerned but was told they are safe. Buddy has had no problem with it other than he has to move when I clean.

jawert1
October 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
I use the wetcloths in the kitchen, and neither of my 2 dogs has had a problem yet (going on 3 years now). I also ban them from the kitchen while the floor is wet, just as a precaution (same with any chemical cleaners)

Violeta
October 2nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have this also but I stopped using it for now, at least until the puppy is bugger and not licking/chewing everything in site.
New place lots of excitement probably :rolleyes: .

Prin
October 2nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Chemical cleaners in general shouldn't be around your animals, but the Swiffer is no different (no worse) than anything else. There was a scary email send around that was just a load of bull, if that's what you're referring to.:shrug:

chico2
October 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I use the wet and the dry cloths,the dry are a godsend with 3 cats...

dakar
October 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
The biggest problem I have with the swiffer is finding a time to do it when non of the animals is watching. Otherwise I have both dogs and the cat trying to catch it/pounce on it/kill it while I 'work'! I think it's as safe as anything else and safer than some.

dtbmnec
October 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
The biggest problem I have with the swiffer is finding a time to do it when non of the animals is watching. Otherwise I have both dogs and the cat trying to catch it/pounce on it/kill it while I 'work'! I think it's as safe as anything else and safer than some.

ROFLMAO I've never had to use the Swiffer stuff but I've tried cleaning portions of the floors and well I know what your talking about....ugh sweeping is the worst! "hey let's drive Megan insane and jump in the pile of dust she's collected! See Megan how good we clean?!" lol

I was told not use the swiffers because some pets got sick from it....and well while I'm sure it'd be helpful on my hardwood/linoleum floor I really don't want to pay that much for cleaner...that's what a mop is for! :p

Megan

Hunter's_owner
October 3rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
I use both Swiffer wet and dry as well. It is great for quick clean ups with dog fur everywhere :rolleyes: . I haven't had a problem, there was an email going around some time ago about how harmful it was, but after doing some reading about it, I think it was all false.

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
I was told not use the swiffers because some pets got sick from it....and well while I'm sure it'd be helpful on my hardwood/linoleum floor I really don't want to pay that much for cleaner...that's what a mop is for! Yeah that's the part that's not true.:shrug: They said it was one molecule or element away from being antifreeze. One element is a huge change in a compound and makes it nothing like antifreeze.:rolleyes:

chico2
October 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
I was going to clean my floors right now,because the cats were sleeping:cat: well,they are asleep no more,so no cleaning floors:D instead I'm here:thumbs up

MartiniGIrl
October 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM
thanks for the responses. I guess I should have been more specific. I know that email that went around was false
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

One of my cats who always has a beautiful coat has been constantly licking her right side to the point where she's got 3 or 4 small patches of fur missing. She was at the vet for her annual check up a week or so ago and hechecked her for ringworm, fleas, mites etc. and didnt see anything.

I thought maybe it could be an allergy, maybe to the Swiffer floor cleaner I started using a couple of months ago and wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

I cant think of anything else that could be causing it.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I would stop using the Swiffer cleaner to see if that's the problem. I don't have a Swiffer but can't you just refill the bottle with water and vinegar with a few drops of dish soap?

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Could also be the food she's on and not necessarily something that comes in direct contact with her fur. You're just going to have to eliminate things one by one to figure out what it is. Good luck.:)