Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The new puppy is doing great but Ö.she is not perfect

Violeta
October 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Fist, the good things: she asks herself out to go potty!! Pee and pop, I am very happy about that. Yesterday she had very soft poop and I noticed that it was full of undigested corn and other stuff (probably the canned Pedigree and the bad dry food that she was being fed), last night I gave her some boiled chicken and this morning her poop was perfect :fingerscr .

She loves people and children and animals (the breederís mom has a beagle and a rottweiler so she is also ok with bigger dogs) but she seems a little rough to me, she constantly uses her teeth and I do believe that she is a dominant dog :evil: .

How do I deal with that? I need to make her understand that she is not the boss and to teach her to stop biting Ė I really think that this is because she was rough played with by the 2 brothers, she is very smart so I believe that I can teach her to not be so rough I just donít know how to approach this so she getís it but not get scared, I want her to remain happy.

The second question that I have is housetraining related: should I play with her at night after potty or just put her back in the crate and let her cry? Last night she woke me up 2 times, at 2.30 am and then at 5.30 am. After I took her out to pee the first time(she did it right away, so she was crying to go outside) I actually got her tired for about 30 minutes, after that back in the crate and slept till 5.30. This time, after potty, she played a little bit then I put her back in the crate, she cried and tried to get out for just a few minutes after that she settled down and slept till I woke her up at 9.

Is it ok for me to play with her to get her tired? or that teaches her a bad habit? :confused:
Yesterday was a little different because she got fed very late (we got home at 10.30 pm) so she needed to go potty but tonight I will not feed her that late.

:dog: :pawprint:

jessi76
October 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
but she seems a little rough to me, she constantly uses her teeth and I do believe that she is a dominant dog :evil: .

How do I deal with that? I need to make her understand that she is not the boss and to teach her to stop biting Ė I really think that this is because she was rough played with by the 2 brothers, she is very smart so I believe that I can teach her to not be so rough I just donít know how to approach this so she getís it but not get scared, I want her to remain happy.

how old is this pup? you need to teach bite inhibition. there are many threads on this - search the training talk area.

The second question that I have is housetraining related: should I play with her at night after potty or just put her back in the crate and let her cry? Last night she woke me up 2 times, at 2.30 am and then at 5.30 am. After I took her out to pee the first time(she did it right away, so she was crying to go outside) I actually got her tired for about 30 minutes, after that back in the crate and slept till 5.30. This time, after potty, she played a little bit then I put her back in the crate, she cried and tried to get out for just a few minutes after that she settled down and slept till I woke her up at 9.

Is it ok for me to play with her to get her tired? or that teaches her a bad habit? :confused:

BAD habit. stop doing this. Puppies need to go out during the night, there's no way around that, BUT do it very "business like" - out to pee/poo, back to bed. NO PLAY TIME. you want to enforce night time is for SLEEPING, or she will be waking you up to just play for a very long time. When my dog went out in the night to potty, I softly praised once.. a very calm "good boy" - then right back to bed. If he whined, I told him to settle. bed time is bed time.

mummummum
October 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Most puppies are very "mouthy" anyway and when they start teething it gets worse. She's just 9 or 10 weeks right? In addition to training her not to bite, make sure she has things other that you to play with that she can mouth such as a small kong. Stay away from the toys shaped like recognizable objects as she won't be able to translate between the two ie. toy shoe and real shoe. When she starts teething, you may want to soak clean and well-rinsed washclothes and freeze them for her to gnaw on.

Violeta
October 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
she is 8 weeks going on 9. We got her a few days faster because the breeder had a baby and it has some health problems, she was doing well there, her medical exam was good, plus the mom didnít want anything to do with her babies since they ware 6 weeks old Ö
Yes, I know that that may be too young but itís done Ö

Ok, I will not play with her at night, I will feed her at 8 the latest. Tonight I will probably not sleep, I donít know how much will she cry :yell: .

This morning at 9 am, I took her out for 15 min then feed her and played a little, after this, in the playpen and she was there until almost 1 pm, no crying (she really whimpers a few times than she gets quiet). Right now, I took her out again, did her business outside then we played in the sun on the driveway so she got a little tired and now I feed her and sheís in the playpen again. :highfive: