Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Problem

IRENE ORTIZ
October 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
I just recently adopted a 6 year old spayed female cat. The previous owners had her living outside. I have two other cats, a male and a female, both are neutered and spayed. My new baby's name is night. She seems to be getting to know my other two cats and seems to be doing okay, they will hiss at each other every know and then and she does tend to isolate herself from them. My big problem is that she does not want to use the litter box. She likes to spend most of her time in my daughter's room and she has made it a habit of using the restroom in a corner. I have one litter box for all three cats, but she seems to be afraid of the box and refuses to use it. What can I do to motivate her to use the litter box.

jawert1
October 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
First off, welcome :)

A good rule of thumb, as many of the cat owners here will say, is one litter box per cat, so as to avoid any issues of scent avoidance, sharing problems, etc. The new cat is adjusting, so if it's possible, confine her to a much smaller space (like a bathroom) until she gets the hang of the litterbox (her own - no sharing). For removing the smell in your daughter's room, give Nature's Miracle a try, it's an enzymatic cleaner that will pull up what we humans can't detect, but our furries can. Good luck, keep us posted and feel free to post pictures :)

IRENE ORTIZ
October 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks

I think the bathroom downstairs will be just fine for her, and I will be moving a new litter box to that bathroom. I appreciate your help. Will keep you posted.

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your kitties. :cat:

Jawert1 gave you some good advice. Good luck with your new cat and keep us posted. :fingerscr