Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I get an older, male dog to get along with a new, female dog?

echo1002
October 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
I currently have a black lab/chow mix male dog, who is about 5 years old. I have had him for about 3 years. I am adopting a female pup, who is about 11 months old, and I am due to pick her up tonight. I have babysat her before, but my current dog, Loco, growls and gets very territorial whenever she is around. This surprised me, because he is usually a lot more calm around a female than he is a male. She is very playful and jumps around a lot, which leads me to think that he may be annoyed with her. I am having him neutered next week (Stella, my new adopted dog, is spayed), but I would like some advice as to how to make these two dogs the best of buds. Thank you!

IRENE ORTIZ
October 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
I have five dogs and they range between 10 years old to 2 years old. Some older dogs do not have the patience with young pups. Since these two dogs arleardy know each other they might not need introducton, but it would a good idea that you stay with them for about 30 minutes when you first bring the pup. When you leave, separate them, keep the pup away from the older dog, a good size kennel would be great. Everyday open the kennel and let the dogs fellowship with each other. Do not show preferanace for the pup but do correct your adult dog if he is being mean to the pup. A simple "No" to the older dog would be fine. Also correct the pup, if he is being to jumpy with the older dog. Do this routine for about a week and they should be fine.