Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

im off to the vet

dogcatharmony
October 2nd, 2006, 09:46 AM
last night my dog and cat decided to get into some mischief. i woke up this morning to garbage all over the kitchen. there were chicken bones in there and now im so worried. neither one of them have ever pulled a stunt like this before. :( well its time to go.......have an appt. for 10.............wish me luck

Hunter's_owner
October 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah Good Luck for sure :fingerscr .
My parent's dog used to do this sometimes as well. But luckily it never caused any problems.

dogcatharmony
October 2nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
well i just got back in...........the vet said there is nothing he can do right now.........i have to see if she passes them by herself . he gave me a laxative/stool softner (tonic-lax is the name). he also gave me the overnight emergency number. so now im going to be worried all day...........oh boy i knew i didnt like mondays.:sad:

~michelle~
October 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
:fingerscr good luck and hopefully it'll just pass through.... keep us updated

SnowDancer
October 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
I went through this several years ago with a mini Dachshund - piece of a very thick thread from a blanket was hanging from his mouth. Went to emergency - they took X-Rays and gave us the stool softener etc. We were told to watch for any signs of vomiting and should this occur to get to vet right away. Fortunately he did pass the thread but it took 3 days. Had the thread not been hanging from his mouth I would not have known for sure that he had ingested it - it was a new blanket purchased day before - but I would have known something was up with the hole in it. My current dog, an Eskimo is a serious Hoover and I can't believe he has not had a blockage as yet - but when I suspect that he has picked up something it always seems to take 3 days to pass. Hope that the bones pass.

technodoll
October 2nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
total monday UUGGHH! :fingerscr the bones will pass by themselves, nobody needs this kind of "toilet watch" :frustrated: like they say... "one man's garbage is another dog's treasure"!! :o :grouphug:

dogcatharmony
October 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
3 days!!!!!!! oh my.....dont think i could handle being worried that long. i am already a mess. when i was a kid we had a cockapoo and he ate chicken bones ( we did not know.....he was a master escape artisit) and the next thing his intestines where coming out his rear. that is all i keep picturing.:yuck: thank you techno for some hope..........maybe they will pass right through..........geez im a mess

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
One of our previous dogs swallowed a fish hook when he was a puppy. We were sooo worried that it would get caught somewhere in his intestines but he pooped it out the next day. What a relief that was.

Fingers crossed for you. :fingerscr

BusterBoo
October 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
I think dogs have better intestinal systems that humans! Last month Buster (age 4 months then) got hold of my reading glasses! Yes, he ate one of the lenses, or pieces of it. It was not GLASS, just plastic....but I did worry for a few days. Never found anything in his poops, but it must have come out at some point.

Good luck!

technodoll
October 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
my dobie (RIP big boy) once at an entire cassette as a puppy... only thing left was a bit of plastic. no tape :eek: i never saw it come out despite the intense, week-long poop watch... unless i somehow missed "the treasure poop".. he lived another 8 years. :shrug:

Dog Dancer
October 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Don't panic too much. Just watch for blockages either way or bleeding. Most likely it will just pass through no problem though. Halo once swallowed a candybar wrapper. She'd eat and have her bm's like normal, but every morning she threw up. Just when I figured I'd have to take her to the vet she threw it up! Good Luck

dogcatharmony
October 2nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
two poops so far and nothing yet.....so sry to be telling u my doggies bathroom schedule:D her and the cat both are acting normal.........i dont think the cat ate any bones i just think she help clean the chicken off the bone and the dog cleaned up. she is drinking a bit more than she usually does but the stool softner the vet gave is quite gooey. other than that she is acting normal.......suppertime is soon so i will see if she is hungry. thanks for all the support everyone ........it really means alot to me.

BMDLuver
October 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
don't ya just love how owning pets reduces you to analysing and interrogating poop deposits? :D

Hope all turns out well!

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
LOL....yeah, and we certainly have lots of poop experts here. :D

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Oh yes,I had my share of poop watch ! Good luck :fingerscr

dogcatharmony
October 3rd, 2006, 11:48 PM
just an update on zoe...........so far so good. she is eating and acting like her usual foolish self. last night i got worried her belly was making really strange gurgly noises........and then the most wicked toots i have ever heard ( and stink.........im amazed i still have paint on my walls and that my cats are still breathing) my little mischief maker cat phoebe passed some bones today and she is behaving normal too. so hopefully i am out of the woods and everything will be well and i can abondon this poop watch and sleep in clean air. lol.............again thanks every one!!!!