Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ailing Cat. 8 yrs old.

Cold-comfort
October 2nd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Recently, I noticed that my one cat has been drinking water excessively. The evidence showed in the litterbox. He's urinating in large amounts where it actually doesn't clump. It sits like a puddle on the top. The one day I saw him run from the box and his back is arched and he's using the whole bottom half of his rear legs for propulsion. You may wonder why I don't take him right to a vet. I don't believe on spending massive amount of money on a pet. He's not complaining terrlbly about this at all. No vocalizing during urination. It just seems odd to become like this over the last month or so.

Prin
October 2nd, 2006, 12:18 AM
Sorry, but it sounds like either diabetes or kidney failure, and both cost money. Pets in general cost money. :confused:

mafiaprincess
October 2nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
He's 'not complaining terribly' so of course he's not suffering enough to do anything.. smooth....

Think you are on the wrong board.. to have a pet means sucking it up and dealing with the vet costs. If you don't it sounds like cruelty and abuse.

From the Pets.ca rules "Most people on this board will beg, borrow and max out their credit cards to see a veterinarian when their pets are ill."

That's the type of people most of us are. I'd suggest payment plans.. but from your post I'm not sure it matters,

LavenderRott
October 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Well, your screen name is appropriate.

A year and a half ago, I lost my rottweiler to cancer. She was taken to the vet at the first sign that she had a problem.

She had osteosarcoma in her shoulder to the point where the shoulder blade was completely calcified and was collapsing in upon itself. I would imagine that it was quite painful. And yet, the day before she couldn't put any weight on that leg - she had been running around the house with my other dog.

All domestic animals are descended from something wild. In the wild, to show pain is to show weakness and to show weakness is to become prey. In all our years of domesticating dogs and cats - that is the one thing that we have not been able to breed out of them.

Take your cat to the vet. From the sounds of things, you have had the cat for years and what could at this point be something simple to be treated with antibiotics could become life threatening if not treated.

Sweetgrass
October 2nd, 2006, 02:56 AM
My cat is a diet controlled diabetic....the total for insulin, glucometer, so i could testblood sugar at home....urine strips called ketostix so I could check for ketones, (these are a by product of diabetes and can be deadly really quickly...) was about $100.00 including the vet visit.....

You can do a lot to treat at home after the initial diagnosis.....but you need to know for sure if this what you are dealing with by seeing a vet...

Home testing and doing your own curves, saves on vet trips and money....
I called in my own numbers and conferred with the vet that way....

2 months into it...and a complete diet change after learning the benefits of a low car,, hi protein diet, now eats all canned food, no dry ever......I had a diet controlled cat who no longer needs insulin....7 months later and 13 years old...she is healthier than I have seen her in years...

I hope it is okay to refer to a website for this...the Feline Diabetes Message Board literally saved my cat's life..they are knowledgable and work with you, to work with your vet and your cat to really make a difference,...

I understand about being broke but let me tell what is happening to your boy...

The diabetes...if that is what is going on here.....is slowly starving your cat to death....the cat cannot metabolize food properly and the body uses up all the calories.......it is slow and horrible, the back leg issues could be from diabetic neuropathy, it affects muscle in its back legs and you see it walking on its hocks.......and can turn around with a supplement...

and I understand that without pain at urination time,you might think it's not bad like UTI.....but all that pee is dehydrating your cat and it cannot keep enough water in its symptom to balance the dehydration.......that is why you see so much drinking and peeing....

It is starving and can't get enough to drink...that is no way to be feeling!

I will help introduce you to the board over there......

Please at least find out what is going on......Your cat only has you to fight for it, it can't speak for itself...feel free to private message me and I can steer you to the website if you are having trouble finding FDMB.....

Kimmee

Inverness
October 2nd, 2006, 06:28 AM
Don't get worked up here. The OP obviously went looking for symptoms to describe and is waiting for our uproar...

:troll:

Pike
October 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
A pet cannot be diagnosed over the internet, please seek immediate veterinary care.