Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fish oil capsules not sitting well???

ByronsMum
October 1st, 2006, 09:54 PM
Our pup Byron has been on fish oil capsules (1000 mg/day) since this past wednesday, as per vet's instructions to deal with dry skin. She also prescribed Revolution as a topical solution to ensure that his scratching was not due to fleas (we were 98% sure it wasn't, but just to be 100% sure)... Since that day, he has had very loose poop...and then this morning, I woke up, took him out because he was doing the "I need to go" whimper and it was super cannon-butt!! :( Then he came inside and threw up twice and did a few dry heaves. And when I took him out, he was scooching his bum across the lawn afterwards (probably cus it hurt?)

We have been feeding him raw for about 2 weeks now and he hasn't shown signs of upset tummy. In fact, his poo was down to 1-2 times a day and it was firmer than before.

Our best guess is that the fish oil capsules are just not sitting well on him tummy, so we did not give him any today. His poo has firmed up a tiny tiny bit, but he is still scooching afterwards. On the other hand, could it be the Revolution??? We researched and found that one of the possible (yet apparently rare) side effets is diarrhea.

He needs the fish oil capsules to deal with his dry skin...but if his body is rejecting it so much, then would it be a better idea to put him on something like Canidae (that has all the necessary omega 3's, etc already in it) and give up on the raw?

Prin
October 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'd cut the fish oil dose in half for a couple of days to see if that helps. And then if the stool firms up, gradually increase it. IMO, there isn't enough omega 3 in canidae or most other non-fishy foods to help really dry skin. :shrug: If he's allergic to it, it could be making his anal glands itchy.

You could maybe try flaxseed oil instead and see if that helps.

(btw, either oil (fish or flax) should be kept in the fridge).

ByronsMum
October 1st, 2006, 10:05 PM
Should we call the vet and make her aware of what is going on? Or is this something we just shouldn't worry about?

Prin
October 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM
Might as well. She/he might have a different take on it.:shrug:

ByronsMum
October 1st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks Prin! Much obliged for the speedy replies! :)

technodoll
October 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM
cannon butt is not an uncommon reaction to fish oil capsules, specially if it's a very new element in a puppy's diet :)

as prin said, i would cut down on the amount for a few days and see if that helps. even better: do not give any FOCs for two or three days and when Byron's poop has firmed up, then slowly re-introduce it (you can pierce the capsule with a needle and drizzle a few drops on his food).

raw diets take time to work, they are not miracle drugs. byron's dry skin will slowly improve with time, you must be patient. have you added any oily ocean fish to his diet yet? whole raw sardines and mackeral are great, as is canned salmon for a change. maybe chicken is making him itchy... it happens! try lean ground beef with a raw egg & crushed eggshells for a few days, or any other cut of beef you find appropriate (you can drizzle olive or flax oil on the ground meats too, or mix in canned fish).

you are treating your puppy from the inside out, and i promise you that switching him to a lesser-value diet will not cure his dry skin... in fact i can almost promise you that down the road, it will only get worse if he has a predisposition to it.

i know it's hard, we all want to see immediate results but don't give up! byron is getting the best nutrition for his little carnivore body, he loves mealtimes and his poop proves the diet is being absorbed - if he doesn't tolerate the fish oil in capsule form, try sneaking it into him "au naturel" via fresh or canned fish, add flax or olive oil to his food, feed fattier meats as you slowly add protein sources (goat, lamb, beef, pork, etc).

hang in there :grouphug:

ByronsMum
October 2nd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Why would chicken be making him itchy? (Just curious)...

pitgrrl
October 2nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Why would chicken be making him itchy? (Just curious)...

Because he could be allergic to chicken, basically.

When I started giving fish oil I had to slowly introduce it, as at first it caused really soft stool. Now they get 2000mg a day and are fine though, it just took a slow intoduction at first.

Angies Man
October 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Walnut meats are a good source of Omega 3.

LL1
October 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Poor pup,could be the revolution,I would let the vet know.

Prin
October 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Allergies in dogs can do many things- itching, ear infections, excessive shedding.. :shrug:

ByronsDad
October 3rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Well the fish oil seems to be the culprit. After several days off of it, Byronís poop seems to have firmed back up again. We will try the oil again, in smaller quantities this time. And thankfully, no need to call the vet Ė she called us. She was checking up on how Byron was doing with his itching (the oatmeal shampoo we used seems to have helped a little). We are quite happy with our vet. They do lots of follow-up calls to make sure things are going well, and when I mentioned the raw diet, she didnít seem fazed by it. I expected she might blame the dry skin on it, but she didnít, and just continued on with her exam. They also have puppy training classes, training videos you can borrow, and when you start with them they put together a binder with lots of info, web site links, and ways to track the progress of your animal throughout their life. :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
October 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
I think that increasing the amount of oil over time will help.
We gave our dog Omega fatty acid supplements last summer and that is what out vet suggested. She told us to start with a little bit and increase it every couple of days by a little bit until we were up to the recommended dosage. Good luck with it.