Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat's passing gas, bloated

back36
February 16th, 2004, 06:39 AM
:confused: What could be causing my cat's tummy to bloat, and also, she's passing gas. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain, is eating and drinking normally. But I did find a pile of baby moles that she and her kitten (they're barn cats) caught. I thought maybe worms, and am getting her worm meds today, but don't really know if that's what it is or not.

Lucky Rescue
February 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Yes, she could have worms or other parasites. This is very common in cats who eat wild animals.

I hope you are NOT getting her deworm meds from the pet shop. They are not adequate, and will not kill many parasites.

You must take a stool sample to the vet to find out what is wrong with your cat.

back36
February 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info--I scheduled her for this afternoon with the vet. I didn't know that otc cat dewormer wouldn't kill all the worms/parasites.

Lucky Rescue
February 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I had a cat who was a hunter, and needed deworming every year at least!

BTW, while you have your cat at the vet why not have her spayed, if she is not already?

1john44
February 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Also one stool sample will not always show the worms. Some worms are detected by the shedding of the old from the stomach. As this isn't a constant thing sometimes you can have a stool sample come back clean.