- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

cat's passing gas, bloated

February 16th, 2004, 06:39 AM
:confused: What could be causing my cat's tummy to bloat, and also, she's passing gas. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain, is eating and drinking normally. But I did find a pile of baby moles that she and her kitten (they're barn cats) caught. I thought maybe worms, and am getting her worm meds today, but don't really know if that's what it is or not.

Lucky Rescue
February 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Yes, she could have worms or other parasites. This is very common in cats who eat wild animals.

I hope you are NOT getting her deworm meds from the pet shop. They are not adequate, and will not kill many parasites.

You must take a stool sample to the vet to find out what is wrong with your cat.

February 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info--I scheduled her for this afternoon with the vet. I didn't know that otc cat dewormer wouldn't kill all the worms/parasites.

Lucky Rescue
February 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I had a cat who was a hunter, and needed deworming every year at least!

BTW, while you have your cat at the vet why not have her spayed, if she is not already?

February 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Also one stool sample will not always show the worms. Some worms are detected by the shedding of the old from the stomach. As this isn't a constant thing sometimes you can have a stool sample come back clean.