Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New cat

Furby
October 1st, 2006, 08:32 AM
I just brought a new cat home from the shelter yesterday. When I first got home, she explored for awhile, played around, then went into the bedroom and curled up on the bed. Then she slept on the bed for the rest of the day (And I mean the rest of the day and night). I figured it was just because she had had a big day. Then today she is still just in the bedroom sleeping.

She's only a couple months old so it can't be age. But she should have more energy, shouldn't she? She doesn't seem to be sick in any way - no panthing, no vomiting, and going to the kitty litter pan normally. But I am worried.

badger
October 1st, 2006, 01:24 PM
If she came from a noisy shelter, she's probably just exhausted from the stress.
Are you sure she didn't sneak a few bites while you were sleeping?
There's a difference between sleeping and lethargy. If she is hard to wake up or is floppy, race to the vet

Furby
October 1st, 2006, 01:57 PM
She isn't hard to wake up at all - if I even whisper in her direction she is ready to be petted for as long as I can.

I think I may have figured out what is going on. One, she did go through a rather big change in her life yesterday. Two, she seems to have a bit of a cold (I bought some really stinky "Scientific Diet" canned food for her today and she fell upon it like she hadn't eaten in years). And three, when she was rolling around on her back this morning, waiting for me to scratch her belly, I noticed that the stitches from where she was spayed haven't completely healed yet. They are getting there, but not completely gone yet. So I sort of figure that the combination of those three things have sort of put her out of sorts.

I know she was a lot more energetic in the pound - she was VERY playful there. So I don't think she is particularly sick in any way...

Maxine
October 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Congrats for your new rescued kitty!! I hope everything will go well and don't hesitate to post more and also, we want PICTURES:D

She seems very lovely by the way:cloud9:

Maxine

Furby
October 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM
Here's a picture

chico2
October 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
What a pretty little girl and very lucky to be the one you chose:thumbs up
Give her a little time to adjust to everything,if she eats canned food,let her eat it.
Maybe leave some dry food for snacking,as I do...

cpietra16
October 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM
she looks like she's a little scared. Give her time to adjust. My little Tess looked just like that when she came home .

Furby
October 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM
I'm figuring if she doesn't start being slightly more active by the middle of the week, I'll take her to the vets. I don't have enough money to take the day off work to take her just on general purposes, but if she doesn't show improvement, then I can cough up the money.

She sort of warmed up today - she was just wandering around the living room this afternoon. Of course, she immediately jumped on my lap and tried to suckle my shirt and when it didn't produce milk she sort of gave me a look that said "Well, what are you worth" and went back into the bedroom...

jiorji
October 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
(I bought some really stinky "Scientific Diet" canned food for her today and she fell upon it like she hadn't eaten in years).

you're right. As much effort and care shelters put into saving animals, sadly most of them never have enough funding to feed the animals as much as they should, or they feed them crap food because that is what they can afford. My cat did the same. She ate a whole portion of food in one sitting when i first brought her home.

Cats are normally lazy I'd think. I have young cats too and they sleep most of the day and through the night too, but they're always ready to eat or play, so you might just have gotten yourself an extra lazy cat :cat:

dtbmnec
October 2nd, 2006, 12:58 AM
Floppy and hard to wake up doesn't always mean something's up...Dart, Leo and Pawz can all be hard to wake up sometimes...in fact we've actually picked them up and they barely crack open an eyelid! lol Of course that's not all the time!

She's either really lazy or she's just recovering from shelter life...I bet you before you know it she'll be a terror on four legs! (In a good way of course :p) lol Just you wait!

Congrats and she's beautiful!

Megan

Sweetgrass
October 2nd, 2006, 02:37 AM
I adopted a 12 week old kitten in June...I realize this is younger, but we saw similar sleep patterns...She just seemed to spend the 3 days sleeping...couldn't really get t play her chase things or other seemingly normal kitten stuff...

I was worried too so I called my vet....she assaured this was a normal reaction to all the change and if it didn't improve by day 4 or she got other symptoms, not eating...sneezing or wheezing, to call her back....non of thse things showed up and nessa is a lovely, normal, six month old kitten now!

Looking back, it took about 2 weeks for her full personality to show itself....

hope things improve for you too...congrats on your gorgeous furry....Kimmee

Furby
October 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
I think she might be a little more brave in exploring today. I'm atr work until 5pm, so she won't have me to contend with a 6'3", low voiced male human thundering around in the living room all day. From the looks of it she seems to like me, but then again I'm sure she doesn't look at me and feel totally without fear yet.

My reason for worrying is that I just got done cat sitting a almost 2 year old cat that was a true terror by day two. Of course, he was also full grown and had known me since he was a kitten, so he wasn't quite as weirded out yet. Plus, that cat was not the smartest pin in the sewing machine - he has a tendency to stare at a wall, then run at full speed into it and then look at me as if to say that the wall jumped out in front of him.

Mothra (The new kitty) seems slightly smarter already. At least she isn't ramming her head into the wall for fun!

dogcatharmony
October 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
congratulations on your new kitty........she is beautiful. it might just be stress from the shelter. i adopted a cat eight years ago and she was crazy with energy at the shelter..........it took her six months to really get around to coming out of her bedroom. at least you are lucky that yours wants to be held.........it too mine a year to finally jump on a lap for loving. now she never leaves us alone..........and no one complains about that. good luck

Furby
October 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
So, how do I treat her? Do I pick her up and bring her out in the living room or do I just let her stay in the bedroom? I don't want to scare her or force her to do anything that will be more stressful...

Furby
October 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
So, how do I treat her? Do I pick her up and bring her out in the living room or do I just let her stay in the bedroom? I don't want to scare her or force her to do anything that will be more stressful...

cpietra16
October 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
I never picked up the cats until I knew they were ok to have me around. I would just walk up to them when they were on the bed and talk to them and touch them if they didn't move away. Then when they flipped over for a tummy rub, I knew they felt very comfortable. Keep rubbing and one day they will come looking for you to get their tummy's rubbed.Don't forget cats have their own personalitites and some like to be picked up and some don't. Most of my ferels tolerated the "pickup", but prefered to just get being petted. Don't give up, you're on the right track.

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Very pretty kitty. :cat: I agree with cpietra. Go to where she is and pet her and talk to her. Don't pick her up and try to keep her on your lap. It may take awhile but she should come to you eventually when you call her.

chico2
October 3rd, 2006, 07:38 AM
One thing I've learned after years of having cats,there are very few who like to be picked up,cats like to do things at their own pace.
One of my cats(Vinnie)got used to hanging over my shoulder as a kitten,unfortunately,now at 17lb's he still does and will meow for me to pick him up,but this is very rare behaviour.
Furby,you are doing good,just leave her be,cuddle,stroke and talk to her gently and like everyone says,she'll soon feel safe and secure and realize she's on:cloud9:

Furby
October 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
She seems to be slowly coming around. She hangs out in the living room with me at night - she doesn't want to cuddle yet or play, but at least she isn't spending all her time in the bedroom anymore. Hopefully sooner or later she'll actually warm up.

JoshLauraMcGirr
October 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Try getting her one of the little plastic balls that have a bell in it, this made my cat more energetic. I got Isabelle from the shelter and she slept for about 3 days. As soon as she heard the bell she was wide awake and smacking at it, we played for hours with that little ball.

Furby
October 4th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Hey - a breakthrough tonight! I was feeding Mothra tonight and she decided I was okay enough to rub her head against! That's a major breakthrough!

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Great news. One step at a time. :thumbs up

jiorji
October 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM
wooohooo!!!
she'll come around she's still new.:cat: