Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! My dog is vomiting blood but not feverish

tinam
October 1st, 2006, 12:26 AM
I have a little 16 lb terrier mix that is really sick-This morning he jumped up on me & was trembling- we watched him for a while and because he's been scratching a lot lately-got him into see the vet at about 10:30 am. The vet gave him a "CapStar" tablet and sent us home, thinking the trembling was a reaction to the fleas. (He had vomited once-very little- the night before). The vet also gave us "Knockout" flea spray for our house, which I sprayed on the sofa at about 5:30
Later tonight, he started acting funny, clingly, and trembling and started throwing up again. At first the vomit was bile, then frothy, now its pink/red. My first reaction was that he ate the berries that are in the backyard on our neighbors fence. Then I thought maybe a reaction to the pill- He's drinking water, his nose is "cool" and moist, and about 2 hours ago, I tested him with "wanna go for a walk??" and he was his springy happy self. ( we went ouside and he sniffed aroung & peed like normal) He's now back to being a little lethargic but hasn't vomited in about 1/2 hour. I/m terrified, but keep thinking that since he's drinking and not feverish, he'll be OK. Does ayone have any suggestions before I take my little boy to the ER ?
Please!

Prin
October 1st, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'd say at least call the ER. It does not sound good.:o

tinam
October 1st, 2006, 12:41 AM
I did, and they were so busy she barely heard my spiel. He's sleeping now-but one more episode & I'm taking him in immediately.
Thanks for being here!

badger
October 1st, 2006, 02:00 AM
I wonder if that flea spray had anything to do with it. Was he on the couch with you?

BMDLuver
October 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM
Just a warning... sometimes when dogs are very ill... they don't have a fever but quite the opposite, a lower body temperature. Sounds more like more than just some fleas to me but I'm not a vet.

tinam
October 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who "cared enough" to reply to me that scary night (and after). After I logged off, I went in to check on my little Oliver, and he was sleeping peacefully-and never threw up again that night. The next day he was much better (thank GOD) :angel:
He's back to himself-must have gotten into something really poison-still not sure...
-and I totally thought it was the flea spray too, or that pill, but he had thrown up a little the night before (???) Probablt never know....

Anyway, thanks again for your advice, etc.
It really meant a lot