Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Health concern about dog food

Jani
September 30th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I have my new puppy on Iams and was told to take her off of Natural choice Nutro. She has been on the Iams for about 4 weeks and in the last few days she has had runny poop with what looks like mucus. There is no blood or vomiting and she is still very active. Could this bee a food thing or something else? She was born July 12 2006 and is a purebread golden labrador retriever.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Why did you take her off Nutro?

Have you talked to the vet about this problem? It could be a serious issue, like giardia...

OntarioGreys
September 30th, 2006, 08:55 PM
The mucous is a sign that something it irritating the bowels or large intestines, it could be as a result of something in the food not agreeing with her,

did your pup have a fecal exam? this site explains the reason for an exam and what the vet checks for http://www.centralbarkusa.com/hpc/vet_articles/fecal_exam.htm

once that is ruled out then it is probably the food, and you can do a slow transition/ change over (so as not to shock the bowels and cause diarreaha) back to Nutro if she was doing good on it, if she was only doing so so on maybe give Canidae All Stages a try http://canidae.com/ a store locator is on the site , per bag a bit more expensive but your getting 10 lbs more, there is more actual meat in the food a lot more than in either nutro or Iam which are mostly grains, and you will need to feed a bit less since it is nutrient dense, so it is more cost efficient per meal. If still problems you may need to try single meat - single grain foods to try and figure out what ingredients may be causing the problem, for example I have a dog that does not handle grains well and corn in particular really causes problems, so instead he is on a kibble that contain meat and potato only (no grains) other dogs are intolerant or allergic to some sources of protein like chicken

Jani
September 30th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I took her off of the Nutro when I was recomended by the breeder. I am going to take to the vet to get the test done to find out for sure.
Thank You.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Nutro is sort of the bottom of the holistic foods, but is still better than Iams... Iams is definitely not a food I'd recommend.:shrug:

But first thing would be to get a stool sample tested.

rainbow
September 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum. I also have a yellow/golden lab and would love to see pics of your girl.

I agree with the others that Nutro and Iams are not very good foods. Please check out the food forum here for some better choices.

Glad that you are going to the vet to get her poop checked out. Don't let them convince you to feed her Medi-Cal or Science Diet either as they are just as crappy as Nutro and Iams. Please post with an uopate after you've been to the vet.