Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about Itching

choiceMN
September 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hello, I'm new here and hope you good folks can provide your opinions/advice.

My boarder collie has been itching her (what I call) front elbows to the point that she has itched the fur off. It looks like a human's elbow that has extremely dry skin. She has not broken the skin and when I touch the area, it does not seem to cause pain.

She also itches quite a bit under her chin (if a dog has a chin). She hasn't itched the fur off, but the fur feels a bit wax-ie.

She also has a smell about her. I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a normal doggie smell, but I am not sure how I would describe it.

I'll be bathing her tomorrow and am wondering if there is anything OTC product I can use to help relieve this?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

choiceMN
September 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I am able to post a picture of her elbows if that will help....

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Please do.:)

papillonmama
September 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Have you shown this to the vet yet? How long has it been happening?

Don't forget to show another pic with the whole dog, hehe. ;)

choiceMN
September 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I hope I did this right....

choiceMN
September 30th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Those are both front elbows......

papillonmama
September 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I have to stress that my dog didn't have itching in one particular area, it was everywhere, we fixed it with a food change, my dog is allergic to chicken.

Just to be safe you should take your dog to the vet to make sure it's not turning into a hot spot, or something else. It's always tough to say, it could be allergies to fleas or to something in the food. Certainly there are skin problems, the reason that I'm saying that the vet might be good is because you mentioned a smell.

Oatmeal shampoos can be helpful, but if it's serious enough that your dog is loosing fur to this, I don't think oatmeal bath will be enough.

This site gives good ideas on what to look out for and things you can ask your vet and information on treating itchy skin in dogs. http://www.macatawa.org/~wilcox_k/skin.html

Good luck:)

Welcome to the board

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, that's a lot of fur missing. I was sort of hoping they were just elbow calluses. :o I think she needs to see a vet first and then maybe a diet change second (an elimination diet).

rainbow
September 30th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I agree with the others. What are you feeding her?