Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think that I need a daily housetraining/feeding schedule

Violeta
September 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
What to do first?
At 7 or 7.30 to take the pup out of the crate outside to pee for 10 minutes then inside, serve food, them some play and then sleep and / or playpen until 12? :shrug:

Is this a good routine? (I am not a morning person but I will wake up :p )

mummummum
September 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I am soooo not a morning person either but I always find I don't mind the morning walks provided I am properly dressed for the weather as I don't actually wake up until about half-way through the walk!! You will of course have to find something that works for the both of you but I can tell you what I do. (Timing depends on whether or not I've slept in :D )

1/2 to 1 hour walk when I get up. Breakfast. I get cleaned up and am more or less ready for work. Then depending on the weather either a 1/2 hour walk or playing ball/ frisbee off-leash in the park. Your pup will need a rest period between eating and playing/ strenuous exercise so that you don't end up with a sick tummy or worse case, bloat. Their dogwalker comes between 1 and 2 but when they were puppies they were our at 10 and at 12 and again at 2 until they were 6 months. After that the dogwalker came at noon only and I was generally home by 5:30.

dakar
September 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
How old is your pup? The morning schedule looks OK but I think puppy will need to go out to pee etc more than once. Depending on if he/she is house trained and how old, the trips outside may have to come every 1/2 hour or so, and especially after eating and exercise. This time will increase as the pup ages. Also if the pup is quite young, lots of short play and naps between is best.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I'd go before eating and again about 1/2 an hour after eating.

Violeta
September 30th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I was giving a very rough idea of what I understood by daily schedule, I would like you guys to give me one :king: .

She will be 9 weeks and I would like to put her on the raw diet :fingerscr .

dakar
October 3rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
It's hard to give you a rigid schedule because some of that will come from the pup. You'll learn pretty fast how much play time she will tolerate before she needs a nap or how much exercise is enough. At 9 week you will likely have to get up in the night to take her out every 2 - 3 hours because her bladder won't take much more than that. So it will depend when the she went out last, when she will need to go out in the am. She probably won't be able to walk for a half hour all at once when she's that young (Even my high energy large dog could only walk for about 15 minutes at a time at 8 weeks) but you will want to get her used to going out on a leash for a while each day. Also if you take her to puppy classes, she won't have much energy the next day and you may need to modify. Don't stress about it too much and play it by ear. You have a good idea of the things that need to be done. Work with your puppy to make a schedule - and realize that these babies grow so fast, the schedule will change every few weeks according to the puppy's needs. Enjoy her and let her feel your love and follow your instincts. You have good resourses here. Don't be afraid to use them. You will do fine by your baby!

Violeta
October 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
After only 1 day we already have a schedule, she needs to go out every 2.30 3 hours so I guess this is it. She took care of it :rolleyes: .