Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Son's female doberman is sick!

adamc
September 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM
:sick:
My son's female doberman, age 2, was recently moved from one location to another, the last being in a kennel located at the edge of the woods. I have to say that there are lots of mosquitos here in Louisiana this year. She has been in this kennel for about a week, with my son spraying the area with mosquito spray and him tending to her daily. He was looking for a better place to keep her, and just today, found a place at his grandmothers house. The problem is, this morning, he found her to be humped in the back, not wanting to eat, no poop in the kennel in two days, and a clear drool coming out of her mouth from time to time. She is definitely not her normal self, and he is convinced that she is dying. Does this sound like an indigestion problem or something worse? He has no money right now for a vet, altho I offered to pay for it. He has been trying to tend to her himself. Do theses symtoms sound familiar to anyone? thank you so much.

jesse's mommy
September 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM
The only advice that can be given is VET, VET, VET! If your son does not want to accept your money for help that's fine, you need to go get the dog and take it to the vet yourself.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I think this dog needs to be removed from your son's care. Leaving a dog unattended for 2 days is not a nice thing to do at all. :mad: It's abuse. Dobies NEED people. All dogs need people, but dobies are velcro dogs and really, really NEED people around all the time.:mad:

OntarioGreys
September 30th, 2006, 06:15 PM
She may have swallowed something that has caused a blockage or she may have bloat(common in dobermans) and could very well die if she is not rushed to the vet asap

adamc
September 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your replys...and I agree with you. But, to the one who said that the dog has been unattended for two days...that is not what I said. He tends to her several times daily...she just has not pooped for two days. Noticed it first yesterday, and then again today.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Regardless, she should be in a house, not kenneled up outside, IMO. Dobies are not outside dogs.

Excessive drooling can be nausea. She really needs a vet right away. Nobody here will give you home-remedies for this kind of thing, so it's not worth waiting around to see what other responses you get.:shrug:

Please post an update after seeing the vet.:fingerscr:

BMDLuver
September 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Ummm... I'll just point out one thing first... the OP lives in Louisianna... very common for dogs to live outside all year round there. May not be what we would consider suitable but it's common practice there...

Now... if he used a product that had deet in it then most likely she has been somewhat poisoned by it. Definitely I would suggest taking her to the vet as this could end up being very serious and catching it quickly could be most important.

adamc
September 30th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your quick responses. We are going to seek immediate vet care for Bella. And, what BMDLover said is true...people in the south are able to keep their pets outside almost all year... mild weather permits that, and given a choice, most dogs prefer to be outside where they can get plenty of fresh air, sunshine, and healthy exercise. Our dogs love the outdoors...and it is difficult to even get them to come inside. Also, his response about the Deet product makes a lot of sense...my son did spray the area around her pen very thoroughly to keep her from getting attacked by mosquitos. BMDLover, your remarks were kind and helpful. Ontario Greys, thank you for the info about the bloat..I had not heard of that before. To Prin, thank you for your comments..perhaps you are right about Dobermans needing people..as do all dogs to some extent, but after reading about them, it appears that they are not so much inside dogs as you suggest. On the contrary, they adore the outdoors. They have always been keen hunters, have been outstanding search and rescue dogs, and running and exploring the outdoors has been a long established way of life. So much of what I have read about them suggests that they are dogs that especially love the outdoors...not being cooped up inside a house. We all agree with you, that the kennel is not the right place for the dog...personally, I don't like to see dogs in kennels, INSIDE or OUTSIDE the home. Unfortunately, my son lost his home in Katrina, and it has been a struggle to find a place to keep her, while he is still having to live with family members. Sometimes, we just cannot have things exactly as we would like them to be. Perhaps you might try to be a little more gentle with your comments. But, I still appreciate your help.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Sorry if I'm being harsh. I grew up with dobies so I have a huge soft spot for them. One of my dobies was tied up outside his whole life before we got him and he stuck to us inside the house till the day he died (velcro). All dogs like to wander outside, and that is not necessarily what is best for them. Some dogs don't end up doing well without the human contact (for example, dobies and labs, IMO, among others). They might seem to do ok outside alone, but give them human contact and they grow and flourish.

I'm sorry for your son's loss. It must have been devastating to lose everything like that.