Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I wonder what we should do

capergirl73
September 30th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well, hello everyone.
I am a first timer here. I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I have tried to attached a picture of my dog, Popcorn, but I don't think that it worked. She is 16 months old and is in her second heat. Now, we were going to get her spayed but we really wanted her to have puppies and I had a dog of her style picked out for her to breed with. But this morning, I woke up and looked out my kitchen window and I saw the neighbor's boxer with her. They were stuck together, and I know I was too late to get them separated. I never thought that they would breed together, she is only 50 lbs and he is about 120 lbs or so. I just know I was too late. :sad: So, my question is. What will my dog's puppies look like and should I get her to a vet to be spayed after her heat is completely over? I know she would be a good mother to her puppies, she is a great dog, but I do not want her to have puppies that may be too big for her. Maybe I am a bit nieve in thinking that her puppies are going to be too big for her. What advice to you have for me??? :pawprint:

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I suggest you bring her to the vet right away and get her spayed. She is too young, a mutt herself and probably pregnant with even more unwanted mutts. This is not a good situation at all.:frustrated:

You have no idea what kind of mother she will be.

You have no idea what the puppies will look like- mutts can look like anything.

mesaana
September 30th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Definitely get her spayed.

LavenderRott
September 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM
If your neighbor's boxer weighs 120 pounds, he is grossly out of standard and should be neutered himself!

With the MILLION PLUS dogs put to death every year in North America - why do you think it is a good idea?

I know a couple of dogs that are fabulous with people, children and other puppies but have killed entire litters of puppies after giving birth. BTW - these dogs were shown to championships, had obedience titles and had had all of their genetic tests done ie: they were bred by responsible breeders who knew what they were doing.

You should call your vet and see about getting her spayed ASAP.

BTW - a determined chihuahua could mate with your girl - the size of the male is less important then the stage of her heat.

LibbyP
September 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Welcome capergirl73, Cute pic of Popcorn (yes you did it right)
Depending on your vet, he/she might spay her during her heat cycle, if not make she you make an apt and have it done as soon as she finishes. The procedure will possibly cost you more as she has already gone through a heat. I agree with the others, you have no idea what type of mother she will be based on her personality, many things can change, are you ready to handle hand feeding every couple of hours(lets 5 puppies) because the mom has rejected them? Do you have a large set amount of $ put away in case something goes wrong(needing a c-section, as the puppies are too big),getting them all vacc. and finding new homes? (IMO) I think the cons on letting her have this litter or any for that matter far out way the pros. From now on (I) would go outside with her on lead to do her business, and that's all the outside time she gets until her cycle is done, if the neighbours dog caught her who's to say another dog won't get into your yard and try it again:eek: . You said you had a dog of her style to breed her with, what would that be:confused: ?(Just a question) Good luck with Popcorn

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 11:06 PM
why would anyone breed a mutt? :confused: and there is no such thing as a 120 lbs boxer unless it is also mixed and/or fat. get that girl an abortion & spayed asap for both her health, and the health of your overcrowded local kill shelter.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 11:30 PM
get that girl an abortion & spayed asap for both her health, and the health of your overcrowded local kill shelter.It's only an abortion if she's preggers, which we don't know yet (don't freak her out!:o).

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yes I would have to say not a good idea to breed your fur baby. Why would you want to put her through that? :confused: