Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How will you honor Steve Irwin?

erykah1310
September 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
After the 20/20 interview that i am so happy I stayed up to watch, I cant help but replaying it in my head.
The part where Terri sais something along the lines of we have to continue Steves work, has been the most re runned part in my head. And thinking of that little Bear all alone in the field and NO one really is too concerned with him.
I cant help him now, but it has had me thinking a whole lot. A small wild life sanctuary/ temp home.
By all means I can not possibly catch and care for a bear right now, but I would like to in the future.

Just my little vision of the way I would like to carry on Steves Kind of work.
Have alot of work to do but I really want to do something, what have all of you concluded to do to "carry on for steve?"

The rescue people here are doing a wonderful job, as it is. Its not really steves work, but equally important.
Sorry if this post doesnt make much sence but I am on my way out, and had to post it.

HunterXHunter
September 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I will honour him by saying "croiky" (accent included) everytime I'm in a jam, sees something incredible, or narrowly escapes death :thumbs up

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I have no idea erykah. I've always given what I could to the WWF and Ducks unlimited, but that really doesn't seem like nearly enough.:(

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 10:29 PM
avoid fur! tell everyone you know to avoid fur and WHY. make intelligent choices in life and have eyes wide open, keep educating others as i myself learn....

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM
What if you inherit fur? What do you do then?
(sorry, I don't mean to hijack, but I've always wanted to know...)

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 11:20 PM
throw it in the trash... nobody needs fur... if you give it to a charity, someone else will wear it and continue the propaganda. :shrug:

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM
but if you throw it out, the animals died for nothing.:(

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 11:22 PM
prin, animals ALREADY died for nothing when their fur was used to make that coat... well not really, they died to line somebody's pocket :sad: that road has got to end somewhere!

erykah1310
September 30th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Tricky question Prin :shrug: :confused: I have no idea, it kind of like a " if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around" question, there is no right answer.

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah but wouldn't throwing the fur in the trash be a disgrace to their value even more? Everybody was already paid. :shrug:

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
if nobody saw anyone wearing fur anymore... the demand would taper off... saving innumerable lives and the accompanying cruelty... at least, that is my dream and, i'm sure, part of Steve's big dream too :candle:

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 11:41 PM
How would they know it's real?:shrug: :o

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 11:49 PM
you know, i just posted what i would do to continue Steve's amazing work, in one of the only ways i know how at the moment. if i can help change the world in any small way by doing this, i will have accomplished a lot. i'll focus my energies on that instead of dissecting the ands, ifs, or buts :)

Angies Man
October 1st, 2006, 02:39 AM
Crikeys! Oim goin out and riscue any Croc that needs riscuin in the district. An hoist a coupla beeahs with any available sheelahs. In Steevo's honah, I'll put an extra shrimp on the barbie and yell Ossie! Ossie! Ossie! Oy! Oy! Oy!

:crazy:

megan may
October 4th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Steve Irwin was a rare thing in the TV entertainment - he was a real person, no doubt about it. he probably seemed theatrical at times, even irresponsible on occasion ( that incident with his baby still gives me shivers )and that accent could curdle iguana blood. But in a shallow world thats gaga about airheads, bimbo's and brainless beefcakes, from Paris Hilton to Brad Pitt, Steve stood out a mile. For his sake ( and for all those politicians who are convinced they are going to heaven ) may there be many crocs in that lovely Nature reserve in the sky. Good on yer, mate

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I know there are a lot of us here that are against fur but how many of you would include leather as well?

chico2
October 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
:offtopic: The question of fur to me is a no-brainer,but we now know,most of the "faux fur"is often not faux at all but cat/dog fur from China,fur on jackets,gloves etc...nobody needs to wear dead animals.
If I inherited a furcoat,I would bury it!:rip:
As for honouring Steve,I do it by caring about all animals,big or small,helping where I can,educating people who will listen.

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm going to do everything in my power to get a Guardian Campaign established in my home town, and any other city I ever visit &/or live in. I may not be able to save wildlife but if I can help people understand that cats & dogs and "domestic" animals need respect, then there's hope that those people will apply the same thoughts to wild animals.

At the least, it's worth a try.

Melissa

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I know there are a lot of us here that are against fur but how many of you would include leather as well?

Hrmm? good point rainbow.

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
:offtopic:
I eat cows... I might as well give some use to their skin, since they died to feed me, and I don't like wasting things.
Though I knew a girl who was vegan and didn't know that leather was cow skin... she sure was proud of her new leather shoes, and I didn't have the heart to tell her. I found it pretty hypocritical; she didn't drink the milk from the cow, but was ok wearing it's skin. Weird.
Melissa

chico2
October 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Rainbow,it is a good point and it makes me a hypocrite,because I like good leather and suede.
I suppose in my defense I could say,it's made from animals we(most of us)already eat,not hunted or trapped like beavers,wolves,foxes etc...but yes,I am still wearing dead animals and the butchering is no less inhumane.

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
See I would have told her.
I too eat meat and do not like to waste either, we use cow hides for lots of cloting ( winter mits, boots jackets and so on)
It is different from fur a bit, but yet it isnt.
If I ate rabbits and wore their fur too would I fall into the "fur industry" category???

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Rainbow,it is a good point and it makes me a hypocrite,because I like good leather and suede.
I suppose in my defense I could say,it's made from animals we(most of us)already eat,not hunted or trapped like beavers,wolves,foxes etc...but yes,I am still wearing dead animals and the butchering is no less inhumane.

Actually some farmers are quite humane with their butchering techniques. But im sure its not the same as the fur industry. I mean really, snaring?? is there anything more cruel than that?

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
See I would have told her.
I too eat meat and do not like to waste either, we use cow hides for lots of cloting ( winter mits, boots jackets and so on)
It is different from fur a bit, but yet it isnt.
If I ate rabbits and wore their fur too would I fall into the "fur industry" category???

I thought about telling her, but she had one of those "I'm better than you because I'm a vegan" attitudes. We both worked at the animal shelter, and she had 3 dogs (vegans??) who were extremely poorly trained, yet it was always someone else's fault when the dog did something wrong. I pretty much avoided her as much as possible. I secretely laughed everytime I saw her in those shoes. (Me = bad, I know)

My dog eats venison food, and I have deer-hide cowboy boots. I don't regularly eat rabbits, or sheep, yet I have sheepskin gloves, too. My dog also gets canned food made from duck, but I don't think I have any duck-down items in my house. I do have feather pillows, but I have no idea where the feathers came from. Does that mean that I'm a bad person? :shrug:

I dunno.. my take on the "fur industry" is that if it's something taken from the wild (usually snared or otherwise trapped), I can't bear the thought of it. But if the animal (minx, rabbits, sheep, cows) was raised humanely, and then killed to produce something for us (fur clothing, food, leather, etc), then I'm ok with it. No, not all animals are killed in a humane way, but if they are treated nicely right up to the end, then how can I really say it's cruel?

Wow has this thread gone completely offtopic.... should all of these fur-related posts be moved to a new thread?

Melissa

poodletalk
October 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I heard of some rescue groups in the States that asks for donations of used fur coats. Sometimes they find hurt outdoor animals without their mother. They use the fur coats so the animal can cozy up to the fur, while it's getting better.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I agree with the "I eat beef so we may as well use the hides". Although I don't presently own anything leather.

Another good point although fur is fur. I don't eat rabbit but I have seen it at the supermarket. So, if we agree that we may as well use the cow hides, how can we not say the same for rabbits?

technodoll
October 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
the problem with the fur industry (as most of you know) is the inhumane, unregulated fur-farms that dominate the industry, the terrible, filthy conditions these poor animals are raised in, and the brutal, tortuous way in which they are murdered, beaten to half-death and skinned alive. most of what we inadvertently wear is racoon, cat, dog fur - excluding the super-expensive "animal specific" fur coats, what trims our hoods, mitts, cheap scarves and cushions on our couch is not minx. :(

i believe in humane farming practices for domestic animals, and let's use the whole animal to maximise the loss of life. i too eat meat on a small scale, and i feed my dogs meat on a larger scale, and whether the cow's skin goes to rawhide dog treats or shoes, at least all of it is being used (even the "blood plasma" goes into dog food, LOL). but is anyone eating all those raccoons, cats and dogs whose fur is brutally harvested for our superficial fashion fads?... that is where i draw the line :mad:

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Well, the coat I inherited is lambskin... Not sure if the lamb inside was eaten or not, but probably was, no?

I agree though- no fur or faux fur from china.:sad:

technodoll
October 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
yep lamb is on the same level as beef and poultry here (speaking about government-regulated farming practices... at least i :fingerscr we are that civilised!) so all parts of the animal should be used, nothing left to waste... just IMO. :o

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I couldn't wear fur, even if I inherited it, but that's my worst case scenario for the coat I got (does that make sense?). Fur reminds me of Jim Carrey throwing the woman over his shoulder like a fashion accessory.

technodoll
October 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Fur reminds me of Jim Carrey throwing the woman over his shoulder like a fashion accessory.

was this from a movie? :confused:

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Ace Ventura...

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I hear ya techno, I know what you are saying.

Why is it that fur has always been seen as a way to tell your status in society???
Because you're rich, you have to wear the pelts of innocent animals who were killed for the sole purpose of you to have that coat????

chico2
October 5th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Wearing fur is no longer a status symbol,unless your name is Puff Diddy or Jennifer Lopez,to name a couple.
Prin,I have a shearling coat which I love,certainly keeps me warm walking Bailey in the winter.
A friend of mine was given a fullength Muskratcoat as a gift from her exhusband several years ago,she never wore it.
Not because she cares much about the animals,but people giving her evil looks.
To make a Fox-fur coat,it takes dozens,if not more foxtails,meaning at least a dozen foxes are killed for fashion....

dogmelissa
October 5th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Wearing fur is no longer a status symbol,unless your name is Puff Diddy or Jennifer Lopez,to name a couple.
Prin,I have a shearling coat which I love,certainly keeps me warm walking Bailey in the winter.
A friend of mine was given a fullength Muskratcoat as a gift from her exhusband several years ago,she never wore it.
Not because she cares much about the animals,but people giving her evil looks.
To make a Fox-fur coat,it takes dozens,if not more foxtails,meaning at least a dozen foxes are killed for fashion....

Is it bad that the mention of a Shearling coat makes me edgy... cause I want one in the worst way?? I have a 3/4 length wool coat, but what I really wanted (and haven't been able to find something reasonably priced) is a 3/4 length, hooded "inside out" sheepskin coat. The kind where the wool is on the inside, and the seams show. I don't believe that these animals would be eaten, as they are adults, and I can't think of a single place that serves anything other than lamb (or do they serve sheep but call it lamb? and in dog food?), but in my mind, these are the older animals who've been sheared for a few years for their wool, and then they make coats out of them. They probably do use the rest of them for dog food... and just call it lamb, even though it's not a baby. Anyone know? Is it bad that I want a coat like that?

Do they really use only the fox tails to make fox-fur coats? My mom had a fox-fur trimmed coat (bought in the 70s), but I thought they used most of the animal, not just the tail?

Melissa

chico2
October 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Melissa,I don't know for sure,but if you look at a foxfur coat,it's thick like a foxtail and as far as I know,foxes are not generally longhaired.
I actually bought my shearling 3/4 lenght coat at Costco a couple of years back and it was not very expensive.
Sometimes Costco has special events,where they sell leather and this time sheep skin coats.
Any other store and they would cost $1.000 and up!

Prin
October 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, the fox ones really look only like tails, eh? :eek:

Poor guys.

technodoll
October 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.animalwritings.com/archive/2004_08_01_blog_archive.asp

:sad: sigh.

Prin
October 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM
So sad (and graphic!). Horrible, horrible humans.:(

joeysmama
October 6th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Did anyone reead "the story of Greta" in the link that Technodoll posted ??

That really got to me. I read a book, not long ago, called Before You Know Kindness. It's a novel but it centers around a man who is vegan, works for an organization that's similar to PETA. I think that it raises some good questions but it's not very flattering to animal lovers. The vegans and the animal rights activists are mostly portrayed as having compassion for animals but not being able to relate well to humans. I thought that was unfair.

But when I see some of these things about factory farming it makes me really want to rethink what I eat and wear.

Has anyone read John Robbins book Diet for a New America ?

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Has anyone read John Robbins book Diet for a New America ?

no, but i'm curious about it... is it good? :o

Prin
October 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
That really got to me. I read a book, not long ago, called Before You Know Kindness. It's a novel but it centers around a man who is vegan, works for an organization that's similar to PETA. I think that it raises some good questions but it's not very flattering to animal lovers. The vegans and the animal rights activists are mostly portrayed as having compassion for animals but not being able to relate well to humans. I thought that was unfair. That's a common outlook for non-pet owners (or people who just can't figure out how to relate to their pets). I've had that debate with my stepmother before. She's part of the group that feels that animal lovers are socially inept. To me though, it's just irrational. When she starts literally screaming about how I am NOT my dogs' mom and I should stop referring to myself as such, it makes me wonder. How is my calling myself a dogmom a threat to skinbaby moms? How is any outside emotional force a threat to anybody's perception of their own relationships?

I asked my dad to ask her again if she thought she could be considered a dog's mom after all they've been through with their dog recently (two surgeries and he's still not better). :evil:

joeysmama
October 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Prin, your step-mom would go nuts here. All you hear around this house is "where's the mama?" and "daddy's home" and that sort of talk. Sorry, but we take care of his needs, worry about him, arrange our schedules around him, give him affection and oh yeah--spend our money on him.

Sounds a lot like parenting to me.:shrug: (Except we're not sending this one to college--he can work with his paws:p )

Technodoll--it's not good in the sense that you'll enjoy it, like a beach read. But it's really interesting, and for lack of a better word, enlightening. John Robbins was the heir to the Baskin-robbins fortune I believeve, although he's now a vegan and doesn't eat the ice cream with his family name--or any other dairy. Someone told me he turned his back on his inheritance but I don't know if that's true or not. I don't think it's important anyway, if he did or didn't.

But the book really exposes the horrors of factory farming. I said in another thread that I ate a vegan diet for 2 years. This book is one of the things that made me give that a try--for health and humanitarian reasons.

Another one that people have told me they liked, but I haven't read it, is Fast Food Nation.

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Another one that people have told me they liked, but I haven't read it, is Fast Food Nation.

it's a fascinating book..! alot of facts & figures, but it pulls you in and makes you feel glad to have all that info... the section on "flavorings" specially got me! :thumbs up

phoenix
October 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
The vegans and the animal rights activists are mostly portrayed as having compassion for animals but not being able to relate well to humans.

Hmm
Well I'm not a vegan or an activist but that describes me pretty well. Have you MET humans? (lol)

joeysmama
October 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Have you MET humans? (lol)

Phoenix I got a good chuckle over that one. This has been one of those weeks where I'm not all that thrilled with the human race. Thanks for the laugh.

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
i second that! :o

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I have been looking throught that link, its sad.

Anyone see this one on puppy mills??? Its linked through that site.

http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
yes i saw that site erykah, the gut-wrenching photos and read the rescue's stories... that is why i vehemently oppose the sale of puppies in petstores and tell everybody in earshot about the horrors of puppymills. "where did you THINK those puppies in the window come from??!" :mad: well i say it nicely, trying to educate. i'm about to print flyers with facts and photos and carry them around in my purse for quick handouts... :pawprint:

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
i'm about to print flyers with facts and photos and carry them around in my purse for quick handouts... :pawprint:

I would, with lots of links to sites like that one.:frustrated:

Happy 2000th post too by the way

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
what? i hit 2K? :eek:

i think that deserves a glass of red wine, eh? :o

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Well yes it does ma'am! and im gonna join ya on that one K? ( I am such a threadjacker...:frustrated: I cant help it:shrug: )