Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hole in dogs tail

ashmel
September 30th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Okay, first a couple of days ago I found a bump on my dog's tail. It was big and looked black but my boyfriend said it looked kind reddish to him. He also thought it could be a blood blister. I began to look EVERYWHERE online of what it could be. Found nothing. Then the other day I was giving her a bath and the "blood blister" was a bit bigger and more spread out. It kinda looked crusty too. I thought maybe since it was crusty I could just scratch it off. It was coming off as I was scratching it. It was also bleeding as I was still bathing her. It looked like something had taken a pea-sized chunk out of her tail. Afterwards I cleaned it out put ointment on it and wrapped it up just like if you were to get a scrape and put a bandaid on it. I've been watching it for a while and cleaning it and putting ointment on it and it seems to be doing much better. My only question is.. what could it have been!!????

wdawson
September 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
only a vet can answer that.......nobody can diagnose over the internet.

Angies Man
September 30th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Probably a vet would only speculate after the fact. Sounds kind of like your dog had a boil, usually a staph infection under the skin. I've had a few over the years (always on my back where I can't reach!,) they're like big painful pimples, very red, quite hot, and sensitive to the touch. If it was scabbed over, it resolved itself, drained and bled a bit.

If it isn't weeping and your dog isn't chewing at it, leave it alone. Neosporin and a bandage for a few days won't hurt, but probably at this point won't help much either.

If it is weeping, I think I'd take her to a vet. She may need some antibiotics to help her deal with the infection.:sick:

wdawson
September 30th, 2006, 03:26 PM
i think a vet would take a culture and send to a lab..... rather than just speculate.....at least that is what i would expect from my vet .....imo

OntarioGreys
September 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
You should go to a vet, it is possible it could have been a cancerous growth, surrounding tissue should be checked for cancer cells as there are a few types that can appear black, if caught early they don't have to be lifethreatening especially those appear on the skin

ashmel
October 3rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
If it is weeping, I think I'd take her to a vet. She may need some antibiotics to help her deal with the infection.:sick:

What is weeping? And I have been putting neosporin on her tail ever since I found it. Seems to be healing. I mean it doesn't look worse. The hole is still there but all in all the look of it doesn't look bad. Doesn't seem to be bothering her though. I touch it and she doesn't flinch or anything. If anything she only bites at the bandage that I put in after putting neosporin on.

How long do you suppose it might heal, if it even heals?:confused:

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 01:00 AM
Weeping is the same as oozing. I would take your dog to the vet for a proper diagnosis. It could be cancer or it could be a bite that got infected. Please post with an update after you take her to the vet. :dog:

Angies Man
October 3rd, 2006, 01:42 AM
Weeping is the same as oozing or draining, it's an indication that the dog is fighting an infection at the site. If it's dry & scabbed over, I wouldn't worry about it, but do keep an eye on it.

I'm sorry, I know I'm in a minority here, but there are some of us who can't go running to the vet (who charges a minimum of $30) every time our pets have a pimple, cut, scratch, sneezes, or has a loose bowel movement.

I was suggesting that the dog's owner exercise a little judgement--if the wound isn't healing then by all means head to the vets, but it it seems to be doing well, don't worry, just keep a watch. She didn't describe something that resembled cancer, she described something that looked like an infection.

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 01:48 AM
An infection needs antibiotics.

OntarioGreys
October 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I was suggesting that the dog's owner exercise a little judgement--if the wound isn't healing then by all means head to the vets, but it it seems to be doing well, don't worry, just keep a watch. She didn't describe something that resembled cancer, she described something that looked like an infection.

No maybe read again and the read about the following skin cancers that occur on dog many ulcerate which is what the hole could be from, but if she follows your advice just to save a few bucks a few months from now she could be posting about how her dog is dying.
I found a bump on my dog's tail. It was big and looked black but my boyfriend said it looked kind reddish to him.

One of my foster's did have Hemangiosarcoma a bump showed up on his rib cage the new owners waited a bit to see what it would do, a couple months later they notice he tired easy and was having problems breathing, so they took him to a vet who did some tests and referred to onocologist, they did a surgery when they opened hime up they realized another tumor was inside the ribcage, they cut out 2 ribs removed both tumors and patched him up again the biopsy showed Hemangiosarcoma, for 4 months things appeared okay then they found it reappeared in his lungs, 3 days after his 3rd birthdate he lost the fight, all because of what appeared to be a harmless little lump and waiting to see if it would change, just maybe he would be alive today and could be looking forward to his 6th birthday next month. The clock can never be turned back by a wrong decision, some cancerous lumps mestasize very quickly but grow extremely slow in size

Basal cell tumors Cancerous, slow-growing tumor which rarely metastasizes; seen in older dogs Single, sometimes fluid-filled nodules, which may ulcerate; usually on the head, neck, and chest; may be hyperpigmented

Hemangiosarcoma Malignant, invasive tumor more common on sun-damaged skin Blue to reddish black nodule; usually on chest or abdomen; often ulcerate

Histiocytosis There are several kinds of histiocytosis: Malignant, which is a cancer that affects the skin and internal organs; Systemic, which is a rare disease which affects skin and internal organs; Cutaneous, which is a benign disease affecting the skin All cause nodules with hair loss; malignant and systemic also have ulcers

Mast cell tumor Common cancer which is graded from 1-4: Grade 1 is slow-growing tumors, and Grade 4 is rapidly growing malignant tumors with metastases Tumors may be of various sizes, appearances, and numbers

Melanoma Malignant tumor of older dogs Usually single dark-colored nodule, which often ulcerates

then there is one gland on the topside of tail just below the base

Sebaceous gland tumors Common; rarely spread or recur; several types Nodules, which may ulcerate; usually on the head and legs Biopsy Surgical removal, if invasive; if a benign lesion, removal is optional

Hopefully it is none of these, but I sure would not take the gamble but then I have a reason. I am a 24 1/2 post cancer survivor, so I know first hand how important it is to get things checked out

wdawson
October 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
i think that after 4 days with no change and oozing,you should have had him at the vet on monday at the latest.........we don't want too here about anything bad happening........and the last thing ........don't get a pet if you can't have him checked out at the vet........sorry to be a little harsh....but these posts are becoming too frequent.........if its an infection the antibiotics are really low cost,compared to leaving untreated and be faced with higher treatment costs later.........my 2 cents worth.

ashmel
October 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I might add that it is no longer a bump. it is flush with the skin now and looks actually quite better than it did in the first place. It has been looking like it is oozing. Though there is a scab over it currently it hasn't necessarily been oozing. But when I either clean up the scab or she licks herself it oozes a little.

And...
don't get a pet if you can't have him checked out at the vet

little harsh that was but thats totally wrong. :yell: You can't just go to the vet for every little thing. Now if my dog was not getting better or if I wasn't seeing improvement, I would take her to the vet!! No questions asked. Don't even begin to say that I don't care enough about or for my dog til you have seen. Reason why I came here instead of the vet first is, one, my dogs vet is a retard and I don't like his judgement all the time about things and he upsells himself, wants me to get all this stuff done on her when most of the things I can do myself (and very well I might add). And two, I'm a little tight on money right now. And 30 bucks is NOT "a few bucks". Maybe for you rich people. But one thing you gotta realize is there are some poor people in the world. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have pets. We can still care for our pets just as much as they deserve. My dog loves me, I love her. She absolutely despises the vet and I hate the vets judgement. When he is looking at her he automatically grabs the muzzle and an assistant. Now that is just not right. I hate muzzles when it is 99% known that the dog won't bite. And why have an assistant when I am right there and she likes me and will cooperate for me?

Further more, she is doing well, her behavior has not changed, she isn't having any complications with anything, she is 8 years old and acting like a puppy. Her tail is looking better. If at anytime between now and when it fully heals she does not look good I WILL TAKE HER TO THE VET!

Thanks for all the input minus the few unneccary comments I have quoted here.:thumbs up

White Wolf
October 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Rudeness will not be tolerated. This dog needs to see a vet. Thread closed.