Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat - problem with jaw twitching

MegFahren
September 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM
When i pet my 10yr old cat on the left side of her face, her jaw begins to twitch. The twitch is similar to when my other cat sees a bird or squirrel and starts to "chatter". The difference is, my 10yr old cat is in obvious discomfort. She moves her had from side to side trying to make it stop. It has only been happening for about a week. It started out being random, it would only happen once in awhile. I thought that maybe she has a hair on her tongue or something in her mouth that was uncomfortable. It has been steadily becoming more frequent, and today when she was being pet it was almost as though her jaw was locked in the twitching mode. Other than this evening, it would only last for a few seconds. Tonight it lasted for almost 30 seconds and she began to cry because she couldnt get it to stop.

Before tonight I passed it off as random, it didn't seem to affect her that badly, and otherwise her behavior seems normal. But seeing it stuck like that for made me a little nervous. Has anyone had experience with touching the side of your cat's face and having their jaw start to twitch?

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks in advance,
Meg

jesse's mommy
September 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM
First, welcome to the forum. We love pictures.

Have you been to or spoke to a vet yet? It could anything or nothing at all from a bad tooth to a neurological problem. It might be worth a trip.

badger
September 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Is it possible they are small seizures? I'd whisk him off to the vet right away, cats don't cry out unless there is something really wrong.
Please come back and tell us how it went.

MegFahren
September 29th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Thank you for your quick reply!

I haven't taken a trip to the vet yet. As it turns out, I'm pregnant, and I'm having a hard time differentiating between whether I am over-worrying or being cautiously concerned!

I'll try giving a call down to them first thing in the morning. I guess it is always better to be safe than sorry!

I'll be sure to get a picture of her up. Shes a cutie :)

MegFahren
September 29th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Here she is! This is in a non twitching, "pay attention to me" mode.

jesse's mommy
September 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
She's gorgeous.

rainbow
September 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the forum and love the pic of your kitty. Glad you are taking her to the vet for a check-up. Please keep us posted.

MegFahren
October 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM
We took Chloe to the vet on Monday. To make a long story short, we'll be bringing her back to the vet on Friday for a deep cleaning of her teeth. She also needs to have at least one tooth pulled because of an absys. He said that cats teeth sometimes eat away at themselves, which leaves a whole in the tooth that exposes the nerves. While she was there on Monday he was able to see the tooth that was causing the twitching. After the cleaning on Friday, he'll be able to see if there are any more teeth to be pulled.

I'm glad I listend to my gut and took her in to get checked. My husband thought I was being over-worried, but is now happy we know whats wrong!

I'll let you know what happens on Friday!

badger
October 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Ouch! I'm so glad you are taking care of this little girl's mouth. She will be sooo grateful. For a long time I thought tooth-cleaning for cats was just another ploy to line vets' pockets. Now I realize that plenty of things can go wrong in their mouths, all of them painful and debilitating. She's a cutie btw.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Aww, poor Chloe :grouphug: but she will feel so much better after she gets her teeth fixed. :thumbs up

Glad you went with your gut. Hope all goes well on Friday. :fingerscr Keep us posted. :cat: