Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cleaning up after raw meal

ByronsDad
September 29th, 2006, 02:57 PM
As my wife and I are new to this raw thing, Iím sure we are taking the long way to disinfect things after the dog has eaten. Currently we are using a rubbery-plastic roll-out mat to put over the kitchen floor, and Byron understands that it is his eating area. After his meal we then disinfect with a bleach based cleaner, and then rinse that with water. Itís a bit labor intensive, and can take about 10 minutes (mainly due to my paranoia about leaving bleach residue that Byron might lick up). Does anyone have a faster and healthier way of disinfecting after a raw meal? Frankly, Iím almost tempted to have him eat in the bathtub. :rolleyes:

Lissa
September 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Sorry can't help you here! I don't do any special cleanup:o Dodger is a lazy chewer so I have to cut his bones up pretty small - everything usually fits in his bowl.
When he gets a recreational bone or is in the mood to chew, he eats it outside or on half a dozen towels on the ceramic floor (not for cleanliness but because he doesn't appreciate the uncomfortable-ness of ceramic tiles:o). Otherwise, I just clean his bowl and the scissors/knife/spoon in soapy water (although these utensils are specifically for Dodger so don't come near the human stuff).

technodoll
September 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM
i feed the dogs outside on the balcony... and let the rain clean it up, whenever it comes :) and there is carpet on the balcony, too. i never disinfect, figure let nature take its course... it's great in the winter, with the snow :thumbs up

sometimes maika will eat RMBs in the house on the "magic carpet" - i call it magic cuz the dirt doesn't show, LOL! - and sometimes i *may*, if i remember to, spritz some vinegar/alcohol mix on the spot... most of the time not even. i steam-clean the carpet about three times per year, max... sometimes a dog will carry a piece of meat and plop in on the wood floor, i just pick it up and put it back in the bowl, sometimes i remember to wipe the floor with hertel & a papertowl... but not always... after 2.5 years of feeding raw, never any problems with "bacteria" :p

i sound like a really bad housekeeper, don't i? LOL just wanted to show you that, with time, you will relax and not worry so much about stuff. you can always feed byron on an old towel, when it gets cruddy throw it in the wash, with some bleach if you like.... :pawprint:

Scott_B
September 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I think i read, two spray bottles, one with vinager, the other with peroxide. Works better then if you mix the two. Just spray down and wipe up!

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I ust do a vinegar spray on the floor, and put the food mats in the rain, or if no rain, in the shower.