Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could my cat be pregnant?

KMM17
September 29th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Hello! I am a brand new member and look to all you experts for advice. I adopted a beautiful litle Siamese girl at the end of August from a cat rescue. She was spayed prior to my adopting her. When I picked her up, she was skinny to the point of bony. Now that she has been with me for a month, she has a huge belly. She is constantly hungry these days. Is it probable that she is pregnant and this was not checked or caught prior to spay? HELP!

Kris

badger
September 29th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Welcome!
Your kitten is probably just catching up on her calories. Are you feeding her kitten food? It's usually richer. But don't go overboard (been there, done that); feed her the recommended amount and maybe a few treats on the side. No milk - they have a hard time digesting it.
Try to buy the best quality food you can afford, preferably the kind you don't find in grocery stores but at a pet supply store. Typically, better quality food has lots of meat and no filler, like corn, or additives. It is more expensive but they eat less and it's well worth it for their overall health.
If your kitten is active, does not vomit or have diarrhea, eats and drinks normally, there's probably nothing to worry about.
If you haven't taken her to the vet yet, I would do that, just in case, and at the same time have her poo checked for worms, always a good idea with a new cat.
We love pictures!

KMM17
September 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM
My bad. Martina is an adult cat. I might have left the impression she was a kitten. Is it possible that they couldn't tell she was pregnant when they spayed her?

OntarioGreys
September 29th, 2006, 06:39 AM
A spay is a complete hysterectomy, no womb = no kittens

vfrohloff
September 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM
It could be that she's just gained some weight, but I would take her to the vet for a check up. Has she been wormed? Often a distended belly and extreme hunger indicate worms.

jawert1
September 29th, 2006, 10:08 AM
As others have already said, she's likely catching up on caloric intake. Many shelter adoptees go through a period of extreme eating - one of my dogs *still* eats like he's been starved for years and going to be jumped for eating (and he's perfectly healthy). A vet check is always necessary, take a litter box sample with you so the vet can test for presence of worms or other parasites. Good luck, keep us posted and we'd love to see pictures of your girl :)