Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Irish Setter nose infection

martin.pete
February 15th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I have a nine year old irish setter that we rescued from a rescue sheleter. About a year after we had him he started to develop a constant runny nose. I took him to the vet and he said it was a possible sinus infection. He put him on antibiolics and after about a month it did'n work. The vet gave him an xray and said he had a syst in his nose. The vet discourage us from surgery because of his age he might not make it through it. It has been about 3 months now that our dog is on the antibiolics. Th runny nose is not as frequent as before but it is still a problem. Every once in a while he vomits a foamy white subsatance, but the vet thinks it is from the medication. Any suggestions?

1john44
February 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Cysts can burst and cause a lot of drainage. THis may be what is happening to upset his stomach and cause the vomitting. As to whether the drainage is dangerous or not, that is a big question. Some doctors say yes some say no, some say it depends on the nature and area of the cyst! Sorry that isn't any help, but That is all I know about them!

amaruq
February 16th, 2004, 05:02 PM
How far up the nose is the cyst? Maybe its affecting swallowing????
Poor doggy :(

1john44
February 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Maybe you should see another vet. I don't know about the lifespan of sitters, but I thought I read somewhere else on here about someone having some surgery done to a dog that was that old.

Micheline Moncu
February 18th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I recently had to put down my 11 year old Siberian Husky. The cyst that he had was cancerous and not treatable. However, I did find a Holistic Therapy vet that was able to make him comfortable and extend his life. Originally my dog had the same runny nose and would occassionally vomit bile/foam. My vet said it was a virus/cold and gave me antibiotics. I really recommend you try another vet!