Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Riley has no taste!

x.l.r.8
September 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I'm sure he has no idea how much I have researched this stuff and still he eats what he wants. I heve been slowly transreferring him over to Canidae, he's not great at eating, he'll go most of the day and then eat a bowl and a half in one sitting. I put this down to not needing as much food. So today I put down in the mid morning a sample pack of Wellness Simple Food Solutions, Venison Formula. It didn't touch the sides. For the label readers like myself here's the low down:
Ground Brown Rice, Venison, Brown Rice Protein, Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Venison Flavor, Taurine, MINERALS: [Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], VITAMINS: [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin K Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement].

Nothing to bad but the Rice and then Rice Protein!, he venison is not meal so is way down the list. But it only lasted in the bowl for 10 seconds. So I guess this is on the short list, if he likes the EVO RM then these will be mixed and if likes it that much I will have another food for another day, I'd like to stick to the Canidae as it's nutritionally good and budget wise it's great, maybe it was just something different, i have a LOT of sample packs to go through so I'll try one now and then and see if it's just a different taste. However he starved for a whole day when the Wolf Cub was down, only when I put the Canidae down did he eat, he wouldn't go near it. I only wish that was the case for cheap, poor foods. We still have California Natural herring and sweet potato, Innova Puppy food, Natures variety Lamb and rice, Natural balance Potato and Duck, Merricks Puppy Plate, Evolve Puppy Formula and the Wellness Super5Mix lamb. I'm going to just offer one everynow and then as something different. I don't want to upset his system to much. But if he isn't interested in the Canidae as much, i don't want to make feeding a chore. I hear stories about how the dogs get excited when you put food down, Riley just isn't that bothered, he sometimes eats and other times just leaves it. But the Wellness vanished, so maybe I could mix it with the Canidae? I want a list of foods that he likes and that are good food for him, but he seems to be working down the list, i just grabbed the first bag I had, if I read the label I would have probably given the Innova (however that looks likes it's getting to be expensive) or the California Natural. I guess it's about finding what he likes.:shrug: