Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

1st day off lead

x.l.r.8
September 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Well it's been a month since we got our boy home (he's 10 months and wolfhound mix), he walks well and we keep to a strict pattern around the garden. Weve also been working a LOT on 'come comand and 'lets go'. So I took the plunge and half way around the garden I let him go (I say garden, its 25 acres and only 14 is mowed, the rest is wetland). We always stop half way down the drive (about 100 ft from the road) and do a large circuit around the house. Well at first I thought what a mistake, he charged straight for the road down the drive, got to out turn mark and it took him 20 ft to turn around and came charging back, straight past and galloped around the garden, i tried a 'come' and it took a while to change directions but he did it, came to my side and sat (just like we have rehearsed it), so we played fetch and for a while he dissapeared in the wetlands out of sight, I walked away and said 'lets go' and within seconds he was by my side. I let him have a good old romp without the confines of the lead and I'm happy to say he is back inside without having to arrange a search party:D, I knew if he took off I'd have no chance but he was great, he came back and wanted to run around my wife and I all afternoon. This was a breakthrough for my wife as he always plays around when she walks him and he can pull hard at times, but letting him run and having him return to her on his own without calling him was great. Now if only he would repair the carpet he ripped, or left the cats alone things would be perfect. :shrug: oh well, one thing at a time.

jessi76
September 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I just wanted to say congratulations! That's a wondeful accomplishment, you should be VERY proud!

HunterXHunter
September 29th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Now if only he would repair the carpet he ripped, or left the cats alone things would be perfect. :shrug: oh well, one thing at a time.

Congrats!
Oh, and let me know when you've successfully trained him in repairing the carpet ;)

Lissa
September 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM
YAY!!! That's wonderful! I hope he continues to prove he can be trusted off-leash! Good for you and your wife and of course Riley! :highfive:

rainbow
September 29th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Congratulations and I hope the off-leash trust continues.