Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

escape artist

tollerlover
September 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Hello: This is my dilemia. Last yr. we adopted a rescue Field English Setter. She is a dog that will not stop running. Keeps running along the same route over and over in the back yard. Now I have mud paths and no grass. If she gets loose she is gone. She is a field dog and that is all she wants to do is run the woods behind our house and will not come when called if loose. ( she does if she is in the back yard.) We have a 1/3 acre back yard and it was not fenced. So while we were making a dog run we had her on a 50' leash. Well we now have a circle path in the middle of our yard. So finally the dog run is made. We made it 15' x 20'. We made it a chain link enclosure. Well, after awhile she dug under the fence and got loose. So we put patio stones on the area around the perimeter of the dog run. Then she started pulling up on the bottom of the fence and manage to squeeze under the area. Oh, no now what do I do? So we put tent pegs all around the bottom to hold down the fence. That worked for about 2 months and she got loose again. She was chewing over and over until she finally could move it. Well ,now we have paid thousands of dollars to fence in our whole backyard. One side is wood and the rest chain link. Well it is just starting all over with this fence. My neighbor whom has paid for 1/2 on his side is getting a little annoyed about the dog getting into his yard, the dog digging holes under the fence and pulling the fence apart. What can I do? Do you know how much money we have spent in trying to keep this dog enclosed? Thousands. Now I think our last resort is a electric fence along the chain link. More money. Does anyone have any suggestions?

t.pettet
September 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Keep her inside unless you're out with her in the yard, she needs exercise (a daily long walk) or run in the fields with extra long lead. She sounds bored.

dakar
September 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Have to agree. Sounds like she needs more exercise and more to do. Have you thought about agility or flyball or something like that to channel her energy? Make sure she gets at least 1 (maybe 2) good runs every day and supervise her backyard play. Correct her if you catch her in the act of trying to escape. Correcting her after won't work, it'll just confuse her. Our Brittany was a fence jumper in his youth and he only stopped when we managed to catch him, literally, as he was going over the fence. Then he was able to understand that that was the behaviour we didn't want.

tollerlover
September 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Hi: She wakes up a 5 in morning to go to washroom so we just let her out. At 7 she is walked and also when we get home from work at 5. but that is only 3 days a week. the other days she goes out whenever she needs to go to the bathroom. We can be out there with her and she will run right over to the spot and do it in front of us. We yell and she stops.

OntarioGreys
September 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I had one dog that used to escape under the fence, even if I went inside just for a couple minute to answer a phone he was under the fence.

I finally bought several rolls of chickenwire and attached one side to the fence and the rest buried under the fence, so if he tried digging his paws would just catch on the chicken wire and it would discourage him

tollerlover
September 28th, 2006, 09:16 PM
did you have to bury the chicken wire very deep? because in front of the fence I have my garden and I guess that would have to be dug up to do.

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I think she needs more interactive play time... Letting her out to do her business isn't enough.:shrug:

tollerlover
September 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
This dog was trained for hunting before we adopted her. She does nothing to interact. She won't stop running. Even if we are outside working or sitting around she does not stop. We tell her to come and sit. But she will just do that for a minute and runs off to run around. But in the house so is just a couch potatoe and wants to be petted all the time.

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:51 PM
What I mean is when she's running, go out with her. You can just sort of hunch over and clap and encourage her in her running, but interact somehow. Don't sit on the sidelines and expect her to wear herself out on her own.

If she was trained for hunting, you could always hide some dummies or something in the yard and make her search for them. That wears dogs out quickly.

Smiley14
September 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM
My previous dog, Max, was a digger. I too paid thousands of dollars to have a wooden fence installed. They made it so the bottom of the fence only hoved an inch at most off the ground. I then had dirt trucked in and built up the ground along the inside of the fence. I then edged off all around the inside parameter, planted several bushes all around the fence, and then finally had river stones trucked in and put a 6 inch layer of river stone inside the edging. The dirt and stones cost about $400 to have trucked in and it took a good week to do all the manual labor, so not the best option, but it worked beautifullly. Three years later, my bushes have grown very thick and full and add another hedge layer to the fence and deep roots topped by several inches of stones kept him from digging. My backyard is also a third of an acre.
It worked beautifully and I got my backyard landscaped, but it definitely took a lot of time, work, and money. Perhaps the chicken wire idea would have been a lot simpler. :D

Fortunately, my current dog, Petey is a runner, but not a digger. But with free reign, he doesn't wear paths into the grass. Now I just have to find a solution for those urine burns. *sigh* LOL! I'm trying out new stuff I got from my garden center that is supposed to neutralize, so we'll see. :fingerscr

Anyway, good luck! I feel your pain as I've been there!