Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training by accident

dakar
September 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM
It is amazing the things our dogs can learn without us even trying (good and bad, I guess but we're going with good here) My 1 yr old, Brie, has sticky 'fingers'. She just seems to pick up things as she walks around the house. It's handy having a mouth at table height! When she walks by with something she shouldn't have I always laugh and say 'that's not yours!' then I take it from her. Today she walked by with a rubber ducky from the bathroom. I said 'Hey you, that's not yours' and she dropped it and waited for me to come and take it away. It made me happy :D I did something right and I wasn't even trying.

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Doggies can be like that. They make links when you least expect them to.:)

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Hee hee hee......that made me laugh. My lab is always picking up stuff...socks and slippers are his favourite. He has never chewed any of them which is really surprising because of all the trouble we've had with him chewing the deck. :frustrated: He knows it's wrong but he just picks these things up and lays beside them. :shrug:

dakar
September 29th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Lol, Rainbow, sounds like yours and mine are cut from the same cloth. I think she does it for attention. She just picks things up, holds them in her mouth and walks back and forth until someone notices and makes her give it up. Sometimes, I swear, I can see the giggles in her eyes while it's all giong on.

cpietra16
September 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I wonder if it's a lab thing. When Winnie needs to go out she gets excited and when she is excited she picks things up off the floor....kids toys, kids underwear, socks....and most of the time I don't notice until I go out the next day and find underwear in the garden:rolleyes:

Lissa
September 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
OMG Dodger does the same thing, he's a hound though not a lab. He will retrieve anything, whether he's asked to or not! His favorites are bringing dish towels, remotes and coins... I suppose I did intentionally teach him this so I am not allowed to get frustrated when he brings the dish towel dozens of times throughout dinner! Dodger's thinking is - I brought you this now its your turn to give me something (treat please):p!! We always have to say "Thank-you for helping" otherwise he gets really offended!:crazy:

Melei'sMom
September 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM
LMAO!

too cute.

I wish Melei did that to help like dodger. She picks up something and then will go get a kids attention becuase they will chase her for it. I think 'keepaway' is one of her fav games. whether she has the dishtowel or sock or the kids get it started with one of her toys and she gets to do the chasing. Great fun for both.

She doesn't do it to me though casuse I just say Drop it! and she does. I refuse to play keepaway.

Lissa
September 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM
At least Melei knows when she can and can't play keep away! I bet the kids enjoy it too!:D

I like watching other dogs play keep away:p. Dodger doesn't do that but when I looked after his friend - WOW. His friend took off with a whole packaged of Rollover and I HAD to chase him because he was eating it and the packaging!! I ended up having to throw a pole (from an agility jump) behind him which distracted him enough for me to pounce on the food - VERY humiliating/humbling day for me! Especially since he ate nearly all the rollover before I figured out how to stop him:o