Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP...my 7 month old lab pup is eating my cable connection

Toby
September 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train my puppy to not eat my cable connection? Our cable connection is on the deck where he tends to sleep during the day...beside the sliding door. We have tried the "bitter apple" and "yuck" sprays but it doesn't seem to be working. Should we just build a makeshift cover for the cables? In our view, this doesn't teach him that he is not suppose to touch something like this. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

mona_b
September 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Have you taught him the "leave it" command?

Everytime he goes for it,say "leave it"..When he does,praise him and give him a treat or his favorite toy.

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I'd build the cover too. Teach the leave it, because that's so useful and important, but cover any and all wires too.

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Teach the "leave it" command but also build a cover as you can't watch him 24/7.

Daizy
September 29th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Tabasco Sauce always worked for my dogs - I found they didn't even like the smell let alone the taste. You do have to keep reapplyling it though - but is works & is alot cheaper than Bitter Apple.

LavenderRott
September 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Don't leave him outside unattended.

mummummum
September 30th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I agree with the puppy proofing and "Leave It" is a blessing but I also have to agree that a seven month old puppy is really TOO young to be left outside unattended.