Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the right age to get a puppy ?

Violeta
September 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Some say 8 weeks some 9, 12-13 or even more. Iím a little confused about this :frustrated:

mastifflover
September 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I would say 8 weeks is the minimum I would really like at least 10 weeks and for large breeds 12 weeks.

Angies Man
September 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I would say no younger than 12 weeks (about 3 months.) It's important for the dog's socialization, yes, but also the dog's personality & energy level tends to reveal itself, so you know what you're getting.:thumbs up

mona_b
September 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I'm with mastifflover.

8 weeks is fine.12 weeks is much better for a small breed.

My breeder didn't let her pups go untill 12 weeks.And I'm talking about GSD's.

Violeta
September 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
is there a big difference between pups that are taken at 8 weeks and the pups taken at 10 weeks letís say? what would be the difference :rolleyes:

dakar
September 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I'd say it depends where you are getting the pup from. If you are going through a breeder that will keep the pup with it's mom and do some basic socializing with the pup then 10 or 12 weeks is great! We got our first one from a breeder that had him paper trained and obeying basic commands (sit, off, etc) when he was 6 months and that was such a treat. Our second we got at 8 weeks and I wouldn't have wanted her to stay where she was any longer. She was from an unwanted litter and was basically just hanging out in a cage waiting for someone to take her. So think about the pup's situation as well as it's age. If it's in a good place with Mom and maybe other litter mates then it will learn invaluable lessons from them during those first few months of life.

OntarioGreys
September 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Unless you have dogs at home already it is better they stay with mom and littermates till 10 or 12 weeks so they can learn needed dog socialization skills

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
The longer it's with the litter, the more likely the dog will be less bitey (they learn bite inhibition) and just have better manners with other dogs.:shrug:

Angies Man
September 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
My last Std. Poodle was bought and brought home at 6 weeks. 6 weeks, 6 inches tall, 6 pounds. He was tiny and very much a baby. First nite, he slept on my forearm for several hours-he was so afraid!

Amazing how fast he grew--and as someone with a background in grad level psych. I realized how fast his brain was wiring, too. In human babies, the neural connections in the first year are literally numbered in the millions. I suspect that baby dogs and cats have similar neural growth.

Charlie, my first poodle, was a baby. Basically a nest creature for the first month I had him. I have pictures of him when I got him and some after a month or so, and the physical difference are striking! At 6 weeks, he was definitely a baby, at 10 or 11 weeks, he would have been able to keep up with a pack on the move, and within a few weeks we started his obedience classes.

Angie, my current poodle, was bought and brought home at 14 weeks. She'd had an extra 8 weeks with her dog family (which was rather sizeable) to learn to be a dog! I know that a lot of what makes a dog's disposition is genetic, but this dog is so much more calm and confident, easy to live with, and obedient. She came home able to ride in a car, knowing that the human voice meant something, able to sleep the night quietly, and somewhat house broke. She doesn't growl, nip, snap, or bite even when I handle her feet and tail during grooming. She doesn't bark a lot, and I've never heard her growl even in play. And she comes when she's called--even away from home.

Charlie on the other hand was rambunctious, always, a real pest about jumping on strangers. And he had a bad rep with the groomers--he'd get aggressive when they tried to groom his feet and tail and try to bite. He bit me a couple of times and would growl if I made him do something he didn't want to (like get off the bed.) In retrospect, I think he was needing a lot more socialization in his "formative" weeks. To be honest, Charlie had other problems too--including seizures and trouble keeping weight on him.

Both dogs were/are loved in extremis. Both got the best care I could buy, lots of attention, and a comfortable, safe life. Both got basic obedience training. Comparisons between the two are hard to resist. Angie, my current pup, is just a lot better adjusted dog, tho. I think letting her grow up with her mom and dad, siblings, and the rest of the dogs in the breeder's home made a difference.