Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my cat fat?

LM1313
September 28th, 2006, 11:38 AM
How can I tell if my cat is fat? Sometimes I look at Booster and think, "You are a chunky monkey." But other times I look at him and he's very obviously muscular and is doing these stupendous leaps after the kitty wand toy and I think, "No, he's fine." Booster's coat is more dense Remy's, which is very sleek and smooth, and I really am having a hard time judging whether he's at a healthy weight. :(

Booster weighs a little more than 11 lbs. Remy is more like 9 - 10 lbs.

The kitties get a set amount of food every day (between three quarters to not-quite a cup each of Natural Balance), which I put in their bowls in the morning and let them eat throughout the day. (Of course, I have no way of knowing how much each cat eats.) Usually they leave a little in the bottom of each bowl.

Can you tell if a cat's overweight by feeling their ribs? Help!

Edit: Here's a picture of him . . . His stomach looks pudgy to me.

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/09_23_06/Drawer2.jpg

Golden Girls
September 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I think Booster is just big boned - he looks purrfect :)

LibbyP
September 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I think he's just a big healthy cat, my chunky monkey 'Ruby' weights 13.6lbs(she was 9.8 when I got her Feb 05') but she is very short and squat in body, where as my boy is very trim, long and muscular, as long as you think he looks fine and the vet doesn't see any problem, then let it be, we all come in different size packages:D

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM
ok ignore the word "purina" :yuck: but anyways, it's a handy guide... just like the one for dogs: http://placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm

complete with visuals! :)

also from http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/93/Is-Your-Cat-Overweight.html:

The Ideal Weight for a Cat

Having settled that a cat is better off not being overweight, we now must decide what is the ideal weight for our cat. This varies from one cat to another, depending mainly on two basic factors:

Breed
This is the fundamental parameter in assessing a cat's ideal weight. For the larger breeds, such as the Maine Coon, a large fully-grown male can weigh 18 pounds (8 kilos) without being the least overweight. A female of a smaller breed, the Singapura, may actually be overweight at a mere 7 pounds (3 kilos)! You can find the weight ranges for different cat breeds at PetsMart cat breeds directory. Cats that are not purebred should usually weigh between 8-12 pounds (3.5-5.5 kilos), depending on the cat's bone structure.

Sex
There is a noticeable difference in weight between males and females of the same breed. Males are usually 2-4 pounds heavier than females.

Note that whether a cat is neutered or not should not affect its weight. The only difference is that, in order to achieve the same weight, neutered cats require about a third less calories. If they eat as much as they did before the operation, they are liable to experience a serious weight gain. You should not accept this weight gain as "natural" or "expected." It must be dealt with like any weight gain and treated accordingly.

Assessing Your Cat's Weight
The best way to tell if your cat is overweight is by checking the cat. Move your hands along the sides of the body and gently try to feel the ribs. If the cat is within range of its ideal weight, you should be able to easily count the ribs. The ribs should be covered with a layer of fat, but not to an extent that would make it difficult to feel them.

With obese cats it is easy to see that they are larger than usual, have a large abdomen, and experience difficulty walking and grooming themselves. Obesity can sometimes be a side-effect of a more serious disease and requires urgent veterinary attention.

Hill's has a special web site dedicated to pet weight control. If you visit PetFit.com, you can access a special interactive weight check for cats (a similar check for dogs is also available). This easy-to-use illustrated check leads you step-by-step to determining whether your cat is overweight.

chico2
September 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
He looks beautiful to me,not fat..
My Rocky,Chico and Vinnie(a little too round)all weigh 16-17lbs.
Rockys paws are twice the size of the other two's and I can actually feel his hip-bones and ribs at 17lbs,he could still use a few lbs.

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Do you have a side view pic, just standing, with the 4 feet on the floor? :o

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 10:34 PM
He just looks like a "big cat" not "fat cat" to me. :shrug:

jiorji
September 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM
you have the same concerns I have with my cat.....I don't know what to say, he just looks "big boned" hehe.

are you brave enough to ask your vet about his weight?

catsnatcher-CDN
September 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I've never seen a skinny cat in a household

LM1313
September 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I'll try to get a picture of him standing on four feet . . . he doesn't always cooperate with the camera, though! ;)

Well, he was at the vet's a few weeks ago and he said Booster was a "beautiful, healthy cat" . . . but I didn't think specifically ask him about his weight, he was there for a scratched ear.

He does seem to be bigger boned than Remy . . . More stocky with a thicker (though shorter) tail. I guess part of the problem is that I've never had a DSH before, just fluffy cats who look big but are really small and light. ;)

I'll take some pics and check his ribs and let you guys know what I find!If he is overweight, it'll be easy to give him more exercise, as he goes nuts over kitty wands. :D

dtbmnec
September 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I was worried about Pawz and Leo's weight but was told that they were fine...I was really worried about Pawz cuz I look at him and think he's a stick but he's not! :D

I think that Booster is just built like Leo....built to take a beating! lol He looks kind of farm cat-ish. :) I suppose they are the Eastern European versions of cats? :D

Megan

LM1313
September 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
It could partly be his fur, too . . . as you can see from the picture, Booster looks like he has NO NECK. Or a neck like a bull, at least. Does that make him bull-headed? :D

dtbmnec
September 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
It could partly be his fur, too . . . as you can see from the picture, Booster looks like he has NO NECK. Or a neck like a bull, at least. Does that make him bull-headed? :D

Dunno how stubborn is he? :p

Megan

Cinnabear
September 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM
No, he's beautifully big boned. :crazy:

LibbyP
September 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM
First(IMO) I'd call him a flame/peach pt siamese, from other pics you've posted he has a apple shaped head, and yes with no neck,;) my Ruby has the same 'no neck' thing going on, we call her our 'line backer' and she is by far not a quiet cat, when she jumps down from something you hear it LOUD and CLEAR:D , I think if your vet had any concerns (he/she) would have told you, don't worry I think he's very handsome.

HunterXHunter
September 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I'm not really much of a cat person (even though my family had a couple of cats when I was *really* young), but he looks pretty sexy to me :thumbs up

I think it's mostly the fur that's making him look fat...take a picture of him when he's wet/drenched :D , then you probably won't think he's a "chuncky monkey" anymore :D

Lissa
September 29th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Aside from Prin's request for side pics of him standing - do you have any of him from above so we can see his waist?

He certainly doesn't look fat to me in that picture. Although I think most cats could lose a pound or two to be at their perfect weight (Minnow too!). Her perfect weight is 7.5-8lbs (she's a Siamese too) but right now she is just under 9lbs:eek:...she has now earned the title "fat cat" and is no longer being free-fed. Most cats (or any creature for that matter) will gain weight as they age which is why you want them at their perfect weight when they are young.
Sometimes its hard to pick up on the slight changes with a cat - I have an extra cat harness that I keep to compare the changes in Minnow's girth/neck measurements. I marked out where I want it to be (where it fit when she was at her ideal weight/fitness) and that's the goal. Right now her neck is perfect but the girth strap still needs to be lengthened:o. It's quite useful because I can see that she's slowly losing the ounces and I know exactly where I want her at! I follow that more than the scale BUT seeing 8.6lbs on the scale as Minnow's weight did cause a minor meltdown:crazy:

LM1313
September 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Okay, after following him around with the camera (I think he thought I was crazy :crazy: ) I got some side and above pictures. :D

Here he is from the side:

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/2006_09_30/BoosterFromTheSide1.jpg

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/2006_09_30/BoosterFromTheSide2.jpg

(He's trying to bury his food in the second picture. :rolleyes: )

From above:

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/2006_09_30/BoosterFromAbove.jpg

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/2006_09_30/BoosterFromAbove2.jpg

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM
There's a little pooch under her belly, but really nothing that bad. :)

LibbyP
September 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I am going to repeat myself when I say he looks wonderful, puuurfect boy. All of my cats(present/past, boys/girls) have that little 'belly hang' regardless of their weight, cats express their energy and exercise very different from a dog, since they have tiny frames with loose skin to begin with alittle weight gain and loss is noticeable in the 'belly hang':D

HHUUUMM does your belly hang low,
does it wabble to and fro,
can you tie it in a knot, can you tie it in a bow.....:D

LM1313
September 30th, 2006, 01:14 PM
ROTFL!!!!!

You know who REALLY has a belly hang is my other cat, Remy! It's so weird! But I know he's not fat, he's always been a lean cat, despite his paunch. :p

jiorji
September 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
he just looks "big" to me. My cat's bigger :(
kicking up the diet.

chico2
September 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Awww,he is a beauty,certainly not fat...If you look at a cat from above and you see the belly sticking out on both sides,like my Vinnie,then you know he's fat:D

LM1313
September 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Big is beautiful! :D

Oh, Chico, you have to see Remy when he was ten months old! He was very skinny, but it was like he hadn't grown into his skin, so it was weirdly pliable. I called him my jelly cat.

These pictures were taken the same day.

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/04_30_06/Remy.jpg

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/04_30_06/JellyCat.jpg

:eek:

LibbyP
September 30th, 2006, 09:18 PM
OH MY GOODNESS, FLAT CAT ALERT:eek: ;) tabbys are so cute, and their coats are sooo shiny, way to go LM1313:thumbs up

chico2
October 1st, 2006, 06:14 AM
I've never seen a flat cat before:D Remy is really sweet,LOVE them tabbies!