Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Litter Recommendations Please

Daizy
September 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I took my new little kitten to the vets for her check up and shots - when I mentioned she doesn't seem to like doing her business in the litter tray the vet suggested changing the litter.

At present I am using 'The World's Best' cat litter as it is made from corn and bio-degradable. Apparently, cats like the texture of sand. So I need a fine textured, clumping litter.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received :) Thank you in advance

Lissa
September 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Minnow is the same way - I tried to use healthy for her and the environment litter and she refused!

We do use clumping but I wish we didn't - it can be quite dangerous/unhealthy and cause blockages among other things if ingested. Kittens are at the biggest risk so you have to be careful.

Is she still using the litterbox even though she doesn't like it?? If she is, it might be best to stick with it.

mona_b
September 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Lissa is right about the clumping litter.It can be very toxic.And not only to kittens but cats also.And also dogs who like to eat kitty poop.:eek:

I posted this here 2 years ago.

http://www.thenaturalhealer.ca/mag/04/01/toxic-litter.php

I have actually talked to my vet about this when I read this in the magazine.He said he actually had 2 cases.Both were young cats.The blockage takes time.And in time it builds up.

Maybe it's the litter you are using that she doesn't like?

LM1313
September 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I would definitely continue with a biodegradable litter. How old is the kitten? My kitty boys were 7 weeks old when I got them and at first didn't like World's Finest, but they still used it. Eventually they got to like it.

I now use a pine litter. I've also tried a wheat litter, Swheat, but I don't like that one at all . . . Not much odor control and it gets stuck on the bottom of the box in gross lumps that are next to impossible to chisel out.

Avoid clay litters with a kitten--it can be risky because kittens can be clumsy and get pee/litter stuck to their feet and then ingest it when they groom it off.

Daizy
September 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input. She used it when she first got it and now doesn't. Though when I took her there this morning to do her business she did use it.
I would rather continue using it as it a natural product. It is clumping though. She is only 10 weeks old so she is still very young.

I personally seem to think that she is mimicking my two small dogs. I leave paper out for when I am at work and she has been doing her business on there. In other area's too she copies them - its quiet cute really! I personally wonder that as long as she is eliminating in an appropriate place is it worth worrying about!?

badger
September 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I think you need to encourage her to use the litterbox in a fairly consistent way. Start by switching to another, equally healthy brand of litter and just keep putting her in there several times a day. Even if she clambers out again immediately, it doesn't matter, she's been there. You could even throw in a toy. Sooner or later she'll get it.

Daizy
September 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I'll give it a try - thanks!

cpietra16
September 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I use SImply Pine. It is very soft to the touch, it clumps, it's flushable and everytime the cats use it, it smels of pine:D

LM1313
September 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Clumping wheat, pine, and corn litters are fine for kittens because they break up in the stomach. (Or even in the toilet, if you choose to flush it. ;) )

Good luck with your kitten! :)

Daizy
September 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks Everyone:)

mummummum
September 30th, 2006, 07:37 PM
A question from someone who knows nada about cats. As Daizy didn't mention that the dawgs are snacking on kitty's poop, I'm curious as to why the kitty has to use a litterbox if she is willing and able to use the paper like her "big brothers" the dawgs?

Daizy
October 3rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Too be honest I think the same way as I know just as much about cats as you do ... but eveyone I have asked all say she SHOULD be using the litter box ... so I'm just following people that know what they're talking about's advice. I'm still having trouble getting her to use it. She starts wanting pee or poo and I put her in the litter box and then she leaves immediately goes to the paper and does her business ... I'm really at a loss ...:cat:

Lissa
October 3rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Perhaps you can encourage her to use the litter box but putting some newspaper in it, either shredded or how its left for the dogs. It may help to put a soiled piece (either by the dogs or her) in the box to help her get the idea... Keep the little in the box and just put the newspaper on top.

Another idea is that like puppies, cats shouldn't get the run of the house until they are using the little box in 1 room. Keeping her in a room with some newspaper in her little box and NOT giving her the option to go where your dogs go is another option (until she gets the hang of the litter box!):fingerscr

Daizy
October 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
Great idea thanks, I'll try the newspaper on top of the litter and see what happens.

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Perhaps you can encourage her to use the litter box but putting some newspaper in it, either shredded or how its left for the dogs. It may help to put a soiled piece (either by the dogs or her) in the box to help her get the idea... Keep the little in the box and just put the newspaper on top.

OOOH, yeah, try Yesterday's News litter, I've never used it, but it probably smells like newspaper (since it is!), it's not clumping though.

Here's the website http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/GetPage.aspx?D=7539509&T=3553144

Daizy
October 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Well - it works! I put the newspaper on top of the litter and when she was ready to do her business & she did it. It has worked 3 times out of five. Since last night. Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone.

I assume I just keep on putting her there until she realises that is where she should be going all by herself?! She is only 11 weeks old so maybe being so young she hasn't quiet cottoned on yet.

dogmelissa
October 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Well - it works! I put the newspaper on top of the litter and when she was ready to do her business & she did it. It has worked 3 times out of five. Since last night. Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone.

I assume I just keep on putting her there until she realises that is where she should be going all by herself?! She is only 11 weeks old so maybe being so young she hasn't quiet cottoned on yet.

This might sound totally dumb... but why not train the dogs to use a litter box as well?? If they're paper trained, it's simple enough to do the same thing you're doing with the kitty and pretty soon all of your creatures will be using a litter box.
I'd train my dog to use a litter box (he often refuses to go outside to pee or poo if the weather isn't to his liking) but he wasn't properly kennel-trained and doesn't understand the "denning" concept. I've tried to fix that, but had to give up, so I've been forced to modify his outdoor environment so that he can go out there.

Here's a link to litter-training dogs (not the only method, but the best concept I've seen): http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm
Here's another one: http://www.showpaps.com/litterbox.htm

And please, if this works, I *have* to see pictures (videos?) of the cat going in and then the dog(s)!

If you really don't care if the kitty uses the litter box (ie, you're ok with all your creatures using a paper pad), then there's not going to be any harm in it. The general concept with cats is that it's their instinct to bury their wastes, and they can't do that on a piece of paper. But then again, I've seen people who had their cats toilet-trained, so maybe you should try that will all your creatures, instead of the litter box. :D

Good luck, though it sounds like you're doing fine.
Melissa

Lissa
October 5th, 2006, 08:50 PM
YAY I am so glad its working! I hope she is soon using it all the time!:thumbs up

Daizy
October 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Re: the litter idea for my dogs - I did try it when I got my first one but ... she didn't like the idea. Thanks for the thought though.

Re: the kitten - last night I came home and she had peed on the paper all by herself in the litter tray - I'm so proud! But then late on in the evening, I put her in there (a clean litter tray/newspaper) and then she ran away and proptly did both businesses behind the bedroom curtain .. Uhmmmm!

Oh well, at least it is working a little bit:)

dogmelissa
October 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Daizy,

Perhaps you need to put the kitty's litter box (with paper) next to the place where the puppy papers are. Then when the kitty is consistently using it, you can slowly move it away to the place where you want it to be.

Maybe you should try the doggies again... even if you can get one of them using a litter box, then there'd be less mess on the papers for you to clean up. That link has lots of things that you could use to adapt and go very slowly towards it. Or at the very least, it has a suggestion for paper-users that might save your floor (unless you've already got that part figured out).

:offtopic: Why are your doggies paper trained? Do they use the papers all the time, or just during the day when you're not home?

Melissa

Daizy
October 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks that's a good idea, I'll try that, I never thought of that.

They are paper trained for when I am at work, as I live in an apartment & also I'm not going down all those floors out into an unsafe middle of the night where goodness only knows what can happen, if they want to go pee.

dogmelissa
October 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
They are paper trained for when I am at work, as I live in an apartment & also I'm not going down all those floors out into an unsafe middle of the night where goodness only knows what can happen, if they want to go pee.

Yup sounds like another attempt at the doggy litter training might be in order. I can understand about the apartment-living... been there done that (without a dog) and with the dog I have now, I honestly wonder how anyone could do it (my dog wakes me up at 4-5am to go pee, and I sleep naked!).

It can't hurt to try litter training again, can it? I'd say just go very very slowly.... get one of those flat-ish large rubbermaid bins (the kind for under-bed storage) and cut one edge out, and put the paper in there. After a couple weeks, add a small handful of litter to one corner... build from there until you've got them (all) going on a very thin layer of litter with newspaper overtop, and then start reducing the size of the newspaper until all you have left is a tiny little scrap. Or you could just shred the newspaper.... or even just to have a bin with full sheets in it, would technically be considered litter trained. :p

Boy do I wish that I could get my doggy trained like that. I leave him at home during the day with a puppy pad, and he pees in the middle of the living room floor. Move the pad to that spot, he pees on the rug next to the pad. *sigh* I can't cover my whole living room (and the rest of the carpet in my house) with puppy pads. Have you tried puppy pads rather than newspaper? (I'm a big fan)
Melissa

Daizy
October 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I find puppy pads are expensive compared to free old newspapers I get from work and the corner store (the old ones he doesn't sell he kindly gives to me, I believe he's quite pleased to be shot of them) - And because its free I can put a whole thick wad of paper down, so its like a puppy pad really. And then in the morning & evening it gets thrown away. I really like the idea of moving the litter box as the dogs dont' eat her poo now, so it would be okay, brilliant idea - thanks :thumbs up