Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Holistic Blend has let me down

vfrohloff
September 28th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Oh man, now I have to switch foods too! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! Ok, so here's the deal with the Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice. On their package the ingredient list in English is different from their ingredient list in French. In the French one it lists farine d'agneau (lamb meal) as the first ingredient. In the English one it lists lamb as the first ingredient (not lamb meal) which would bump lamb way down the list and make this food basically grains for the first 3 or 4 ingredients. I guess I just always read the french version because it wasn't until yesterday that I discovered the different ingredient lists on the package I just bought. I emailed the company (they have excellent customer service BTW) and they wrote me back saying that the english version is correct and they will be changing all of their packaging to make the ingredient lists the same. However they did say that they use salmon meal and not just salmon (I think salmon is the 4th or 5th ingredient, I can't be bothered to check at the moment). So now what? :mad: No wonder poor Benny has wicked gas some days.

So, I guess I am changing foods, but to what? :( My Benny has the same problem as Prin's Boo has, he can't have poultry or eggs. I spoke with the guy who owns Global near me yesterday about carrying Evo RM but he says he's stopping Innova products altogether in his store because they keep upping their prices which makes it impossible for him to keep selling it at a reasonable price. AAACCCKKK! He also doesn't carry Canidae Lamb and Rice but I think he'd order it for me if I asked but I find it a little grainy and would prefer to go higher protein than that. Any thoughts? I am so not looking forward to switching them. :sad:

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
well a few petshops in Montreal carry EVO RM, or can order it for you... maybe a trip once per month into another neighborhood would be the best thing! :)

vfrohloff
September 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I was thinking that, I think Woofer's carries it. It's about 45 minutes away though which is quite far and I like the convenience of the Global store near me. The other thing is that I'm 5 months pregnant and I'm not sure how often I'll be up to driving 45 minutes to get dog food in the last months of my pregnancy and after the baby is born. If I stick with something at Global at least DH can pick it up for me on his way home from work. I also like the frequent buyer plan that Global has, where if you buy 8 bags the 9th one is free. I dunno, I can't decide what to do. :frustrated: Pregnancy hormones don't help my indecisiveness either.

vfrohloff
September 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Ok, thinking out loud here...Maybe if I did 2/3 Canidae Lamb and Rice (which I can get at Global) and 1/3 EVO RM added in then I wouldn't have to go to the West Island quite as often. I could go in for the EVO every 6 weeks or so instead of every 4. That would work. Hmmm.

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Woofers doesn't have the RM in stock. You have to order it but I ordered it yesterday and it came today. Where are you? Little Bear had some in stock, but sold out yesterday. Nutriville on Rene Laennec in Laval has tons of the little RM bags, and will order the big bags if you want them to. :)

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 08:03 PM
prin how much is your big bag of EVO RM? my store here wants $74.99 :eek:

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I don't know yet... I haven't picked it up yet. :o

I have two ordered- one from Woofers and one from Nutriville. :o I don't know- they're both great stores, and I want to support them both...:o

OntarioGreys
September 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM
My bag of EVO RM was 74.99 as well

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
plus taxes... sigh. i'm thinking of all the fresh meat and RMBs I can get for that money :eek: thank god the kibble is only half of dakotah's diet, and like 1/20th of maika's! :dog:

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, but you're supposed to feed less... WK was $67-$68 (before taxes) for 33lbs and IMO, a lot more expensive meat goes into Evo.:shrug:

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
dakotah needs a LOT of food to keep any kind of weight on... and evo rm has less calories per cup than the regular evo, so right off the bat that's a big 1 cup more per day for him to get the same # of calories...

right now he gets, per day, 2.5 to 3 cups of regular evo, 1 cup Fromms, mixed with about 1 to 1.5 pounds of raw ground beef and an egg, sometimes we add a raw green tripe patty to the mix, sometimes a can of salmon or sardines... all kinds of things. two days ago he had 3 cups of kibble for breakfast and plowed through a 3.5 pound of raw, bone-in pork roast all to himself :eek: he was supposed to share it with maika, LOL! :frustrated: piggy :frustrated:

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
So we still haven't figured out why we need more evo than regular. :o

My doggies eat so little compared to yours.

vfrohloff
September 29th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I live in Tres-St-Redempteur which is near the Ontario border. Basically in the middle of nowhere. :( So Laval is further for me than Pointe-Claire or DDO. I also really like the guy who owns the Global store in Vaudreuil, so far he has bent over backwards to make me happy. He already orders the large bags of Felidae just for me, so I'm thinking I will just ask him to get me the Canidae Lamb and rice while he's at it. The EVO RM is really expensive, that's why he won't order from Innova anymore.

I know you guys are all down on SG these days but I just checked the ingredient list on their website for Hund N Flocken and it looks pretty good. Someone said they were changing the recipe on that one too? The guy at Global seems to think the recipe changes won't last too long because most folks who feed SG know a lot about dog food. He thinks their sales will go down and they'll have to bring the original recipes back. I guess we'll see.

technodoll
September 29th, 2006, 08:47 AM
doesn't matter if they bring their "old recipe back" (which they won't, most probably) - the betrayal is still there and they can't take that back. Also, their entire dry line is very grainy and, for the price, just not worth it IMO. :shrug:

ps prin: maika eats very little for her body weight, she's very efficient at managing calories, LOL! dakotah's got the crazy metabolism... like those skinny guys who can eat pizzas and fried chicken all day and never gain a pound! :D

Prin
September 29th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah, the betrayal and also the fact that a lot of our dogs are sensitive and we can't keep switching them around, hoping that SG won't change their formula again one day.

btw, I was told that along with Wellness enhancing their formula, a couple of years ago, Innova changed theirs too... :frustrated:

technodoll
September 29th, 2006, 03:07 PM
good lord! did either warn the public before the formula changes?... or did they also wait 6 months before changing their bags :eek:

Prin
September 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The woman who told me about the Innova thing said that she had heard about the Wellness one long before she got the bags, so she could warn her customers and they could switch gradually. The innova one was just a fiber addition, and she said it wasn't a big deal at all. Can't depend on anybody though.

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Someone on another forum told me something interesting.. She was feeding the millenia SG formula.. She has to order it.. the box said something about new formula.. the bags did not..

So on the packaging none of us would ever get to see there was a warning. hmmm great.

Prin
September 29th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Nice, eh? :rolleyes:

technodoll
September 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
they love their customers! :thumbs up

rainbow
September 29th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Is there any pet food manufacturer out there that is honest? :yell:

technodoll
September 29th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Is there any pet food manufacturer out there that is honest?

yes. me! :D

rainbow
September 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM
LOL....yeah, you and your one man show.....lucky beanies. :D

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I was gonna say, "Techno!" but I thought everybody would have thought I was nuts.:crazy: :D

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM
yet nobody wants to eat my burnt meatloaf... :rolleyes:

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
or blood pudding. :D My old lab would eat ANYTHING, but not blood pudding.:D

technodoll
September 30th, 2006, 10:21 PM
is it really made with blood? :eek: :yuck: :confused:

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I believe so. :sick:

vfrohloff
October 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, it is. :yuck: A friend of mine used to make it all the time, she said it was delicious. You take blood and cook it I think, then you stuff it into those sausage wrappers that are made out of intestines. Disgusting IMO.

Puppyluv
October 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM
YUMMMMMMY!!!
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 quart pig's blood
* 12 ounces bread crumbs
* 1/2 lb. suet
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 quart milk
* 1 cup cooked barley
* 1 cup dry rolled oats
* 1 ounce ground mint
* Sausage Casings

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl; pour into a large kettle or Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Pour into a wide shallow bowl and season again if necessary. Fill sausage casing with mixture. Chill thoroughly, until firm. When cold it may be cut into slices and fried.

technodoll
October 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM
thanks alot for ruining my appetite, now i can totally skip breakfast! :yuck:

perfect for my diet though :)

erykah1310
October 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM
That totally turned my stomach, im just trying tohave my morning coffee and BAM!!! recipe for Blood Sausages!:yuck:

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Have you guys actually tried it? Or are you just knocking it because it sounds gross?

technodoll
October 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
yep, mom tried to feed it to us when we were kids.. liver, too :yuck: but we loved fried bologna and hotdogs... go figure! :D

Prin
October 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, my dad made us eat it a few times. I preferred the pig feet.

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
That's when I first had it too...as a kid. But I loved it then and we only got to have it on special occasions so it was a real treat. Oh, and I like the pickled pigs feet too :D