Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ontario Restricted APBT Service Dog

Conners
September 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Wahoo! For those that knows the long hard battle I have had trying to find a way to get Shasta certified as my Service Dog, well I found the answers and breed didn't even come into it...even though she must still wear her muzzle in public.
This new found freedom has been quite the adventure for me as well as a learning experience for Shasta. We are on a brand new mission as people approach us asking mt why my service dog has to be muzzled. I explain it's Ontario's Law that requires all bullie breeds to be muzzled, and service dogs are no exception.
I have the 'Ask To Pet' patch on rather than the 'Do Not Pet', as I WANT people to see how mannerly, friendly and calm a bullie can be. A few minutes with her and they are angry about the muzzles.
They ask questions, like are Pit bulls too strong to be Service Dogs? I ask them, does it look like she is pulling me or am I in control? I tell them that bullies can take the abuse of an accidental wheel chair bumping or in my case, grocery cart bumps. She has learned to walk beside me behind the cart rather than to the side of the cart. LOL
When they talk about in the media, I tell them that the media has been their worst enemy next to the Ontario Liberal government. How many times had they seen in BOLD headlines, Pit Bull Attack, which after reading the rest of the article, Pit bull sticks out in your mind. Yet in the article, it says it's a pit bull/bull mastiff/lab mix. That makes it a MUTT, plain and simple, yet the Pit bull bad rep continues. How many news casts and newpaper articles did the read where it said Pit bull attack, but they show a house and a victim, but no dog? How do we really KNOW it's a pit bull? There is no proof to show us that it really is.
What really get's them is when I tell them that Hellen Kellers companion dog was an American Pit bull Terrier, as was Stubby, a decorated dog for bravery in the U.S.A. in World War 1. Remember Petey, our beloved bullie in Lil' Rascals, and so many other bullies used in Search and Rescue, Bomb and Drug Sniffing and Therapy Dogs. One of the Bullies breeds are commonly named the Nanny Dog. This leads to why dogs (any dog) is attacking and biting at a higher rate now. Irresponsible owners and criminals are to blame, not the dogs or the breeds.I tell them prior to Shasta how I've been totally housebound and afraid to talk to strangers, but through her, she has brought me this far. I also them them she is an 'alert' and 'responce' dog and will alert me prior to me going into high enxiety and panic attacks and should I go into a panic attack, she can bring me out of it, but that requires her mouth, which she can't do with the muzzle on.
I'm still awaiting the verdict, but once I give myself a bit of a rest from some of my health battles, I'm going to continue to get her resgistered through Canada, same as the Guide Dogs of Canada are and then I'll be able to try to fight the muzzle law since it's a requirement that she isn't able to do her complete job with.
Last week we brought two people that were against the bullies to our side. I'd say that's quite an accomplishment. Perhaps once I'm nervie enough to try to take the bus and we have more area to cover, it would be nice to have A Channel news or the London Free Press get a view of Shasta at work. :thumbs up
Here's a pic of her getting ready to work. Don't mind the bumps on her face. We were camping and flies bit her and I forgot to bring the Downy Sheets. (bad mama):rolleyes:
http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/86/3719/400/IMG_6.jpg

~michelle~
September 28th, 2006, 06:03 AM
thank you so much for you and your dog and how much you are servicing the breed. Although you may not get the london free press or the a channel to cover you right now, write letters to the editor telling them of your great dog and how much she does not fit the stereotype. It maybe hard to get alot of news coverage, especially in London, its a pretty conservative town, especially when it comes to the pit bull laws, many of them are behind it, but please keep fighting the fight. I dont own a pit bull but i do believe this law is a precedent that will affect dog owners everywhere. This pitbull law is driven by fear and ignorance, that the news corporations are exploiting. this opens a dangerous flood gate, and we need to take a stand now.

twodogsandacat
September 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Great work. Keep it up. You are the walking talking truth that people need to see.

jesse's mommy
September 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Conners, glad to see you back.

Your post is absolutely wonderful. Keep up the great work in educating people. Your story is an inspiration to all. :grouphug:

wdawson
September 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM
conners

that great to here shasta is giving you confidence and the ability to get mobile. i have posted my thoughts on the media not posting photos of a supposed pit when an attack occures......case in point , the sudbury story posted yesterday.......and today turns out to be a bull terrier....but the first headline sticks with the general public.

good luck........keep up your fight:fingerscr

babyrocky1
September 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Thats great Conners! Congratulations! Way to go Shasta!

Conners
September 30th, 2006, 04:32 AM
If we can get any kind of POSITIVE PRESS out there, every bit helps. I'm not sure about how to go about emailing the press and asking them to do a story to get the word out. Any idea's?

~michelle~
September 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
just call the lfpress and A channel. they probably have a number on their websites, and also if you write a letter to the editor and it does get published (almost all of them do unless they are rude or vulgar) it will definately peak some interest. thank you so much for promoting a change of though amungst the public. you will make a difference

Prin
September 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I can't see the pic...:(:o

Good luck with all her future certifications. :fingerscr

LM1313
September 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Good for you, what an inspiring story! :)

You might try writing in to your local paper OR a specific reporter, if there's one that's been pit bull friendly, and asking them if they'd be interested in doing a human interest piece. A lot of media types are "against" pit bulls for the same reason other people are, they're misinformed (ironically.)

babyrocky1
September 30th, 2006, 07:43 PM
If we can get any kind of POSITIVE PRESS out there, every bit helps. I'm not sure about how to go about emailing the press and asking them to do a story to get the word out. Any idea's?How about e-mailing Animal House Calls? Its at City T.V. They kind of like us.

mummummum
September 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
That's great !!! To pique media interest what about shopping it around ...a radio piece - CBC ? Local TV cable channel ? Neigbourhood newspapers ? Writing a letter to the editor of the London paper is an excellent idea - be certain to include several photographs with and without muzzle. You may also want to send your story and photo to Clayton Ruby along with any provincial and municipal politicians who have come out publically against the ban.

babyrocky1
September 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Great Ideas 3X mum lol You might want to include my hero, Peter Kormos, in that list as well !