Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canada needs petfinder

t.pettet
September 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Canada needs its own petfinder, animals in rescue and shelters in the US are too difficult to access (distance, foreign country etc.) Anyone else feel the same and how would one go about setting up such a site? Ideas!

jiorji
September 27th, 2006, 07:37 PM
shelters from canada post on petfinder too. But not enough posts are set up I find. I guess they all have lack of volunteers.

rainbow
September 27th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I think it's lack of volunteers too. :sad:

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Canadian shelters are on petfinder... I don't know if separating them is a good idea- some US rescues do adopt to Canadians and vice versa. Better for the beasties to be all in one place, IMO.

BMDLuver
September 28th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Petfinder is a wonderful tool for both US and Canadian Rescues. If it weren't for petfinder there would be even more homeless pets. It's really a way for us to connect to so many other areas. It's widely used and very effective. I don't actually see a need for a Canadian specific site, but that might just be me, lol.

Inverness
September 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I don't actually see a need for a Canadian specific site, but that might just be me, lol.

Except for the special offers that we can't benefit from... :D

PetFriendly
September 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I think petfinder should have the option for us to filter out the american hits. When you're looking for something as generic as I (small male dog) you get overwhelmed with hits from American places and trying to keep track of who adopts to Canadians is kind of tough.

I've emailed them and asked them to do it but the sort of suggested it was too much work and wasn't worth it right now.

BMDLuver
September 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM
True Inverness, forgot about that...

As for filtering out the US rescues... doesn't the search engine allow you to search within a certain radius of your postal code? I thought it did.. :confused:

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, you can search "nationally" which, in theory is only Canada... Sometimes it doesn't work well though.

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2006, 07:33 PM
It hasn't worked well in a really, really, really long time.
I'm bad, and I window shop for cockers. I still really want a second one to add to my home.. And I can type in anything I please for location, and how limited I make my search, and often I get hits from new york, jersey, etc before I see the few hits in quebec or ontario. It doesn't work right.

And about american adoptions.. I have talked to a few rescues about their fur adoptees.. and most want nothing to do with me when I mention I'm cross border. Doesn't matter how great my references are, or anything else, I'm 'too far', or I need a rescue in my area to be my liaison, etc.

I love the rescues that only adopt out in stuff like a 63 mile radius myself. Really helpful towards trying to get great homes for the animals without.

PetFriendly
September 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
As for filtering out the US rescues... doesn't the search engine allow you to search within a certain radius of your postal code? I thought it did.. :confused:

It does search winthin a radius... Which is great if you live in northern Alberta ;) ... There are a number of towns in the US that are close to me (apparently) that places in southern Ontario

ByronsMum
September 29th, 2006, 09:54 PM
ByronsDad and I found our furbaby, Byron, on Petfinder.com. We found the resource to be amazing because it gave us access to shelters that we otherwise would not have been aware of. If you make your search Regional, it will limit the first few results to your vecinity (it even listed dogs that were up for adoption in our tiny blip of a town!!). We were not afraid to travel to adopt our pup, so it worked out well for us! :thumbs up We ended up travelling 2 hours to Whitby to get Byron. And the rest is history! :D

t.pettet
September 29th, 2006, 10:35 PM
There seems to be some miscommunication by the responses. PetFinder is great, has made many matchups but for Canadians being directed to US rescues & shelters even after using 'regional' based on your Canadian addresss, is frustrating. Who is going to travel from central Ont. to central US to attempt to adopt a pet when the rescue and shelters specify they only adopt out in their general area or state, let alone cross-border, and what costs would be incurred transporting said pet on top of the adoption fees? So why are we being unendated with the unobtainable? A Canadian (only) site needs to be set up as many future adoptees aren't fortunate enough to have found a pet they're interested in the same province and only 2 hrs. away.

Prin
September 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I don't know- I saw a dobie I liked in NY, and they adopted to Canadians... I wasn't allowed to adopt him (bf still doesn't want a 3rd) but if I could, I wouldn't have wanted to miss him.

This was him:

angeldogs
September 30th, 2006, 01:41 AM
He's cute.love the droppy hears.

mafiaprincess
September 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
There seems to be some miscommunication by the responses. PetFinder is great, has made many matchups but for Canadians being directed to US rescues & shelters even after using 'regional' based on your Canadian addresss, is frustrating. Who is going to travel from central Ont. to central US to attempt to adopt a pet when the rescue and shelters specify they only adopt out in their general area or state, let alone cross-border, and what costs would be incurred transporting said pet on top of the adoption fees? So why are we being unendated with the unobtainable? A Canadian (only) site needs to be set up as many future adoptees aren't fortunate enough to have found a pet they're interested in the same province and only 2 hrs. away.

That was what I was trying to say.. you just said it better :)

LL1
September 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
You can try this site: http://adoptananimal.ca/

on petfinder you can click shelters and rescues in the blue area and only look at your province's rescues and shelters