Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swtich to Canidae and Felidae

Skryker
September 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I just bought Canidae and Felidae for my furries to try out. So far, so good!!

I wasn't so worried about the dogs liking it as they aren't fussy at all but I gave them a little to try-and nearly lost my fingers since they couldn't get at it fast enough. Cool! Hopefully the switchover will go smoothly. I just wish the kibbles were a bit larger-I'm afraid of Fingal choking on them if he inhales his food literally (which he used to do :frustrated: ).

I was thinking my fussy cat might not appreciate the switch but as soon as I got the bag open she was right at my feet meowing for it, eating out of the scoop before I could put it in the bowl. Yay!!!!!!!! Now, the question will be, will she eat the remaining Performatrin?

So although I had to go to a different pet food store, it works out that the new stuff is roughly the same price as the Performatrin Ultra, no brewer's yeast or Menadione AND they have a "Buy 10 bags get one free" program. :thumbs up

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM
:thumbs up Great! I hope the switch goes smoothly.

Smiley14
September 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
That's awesome! How does the Canidae seem to be sitting with your doggie's tummy?
I've been doing the slow switch for a week now and adding a tiny bit more of canidae each time. Petey LOVES it and now picks out the Canidae first and then eats his old food last. But he's been awfully gassy lately! Normally, he has a stomach like iron and can eat anything without problem. I'm not sure if I should slow down the switch or just hold at where I'm at for now until he better adjusts. So anyway, just curious if you were noticing similar symtoms or not! :)

Skryker
September 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
So far, so good, but this is just the first day. They've been mostly sleeping since suppertime and there have been no room-clearing gas attacks so far. :fingerscr

The cat has decided to completely ignore the old food in favour of the Felidae. :frustrated: She has a nimble mouth-she picked out all the new stuff and left the old in the bowl. Of course, tomorrow it could be the other way around.

Smiley14
September 27th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Hopefully you won't have the gassy problem with your doggie! :) I'll be glad to get past that stage. :eek: Good luck! :)

Skryker
September 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Smiley, the odd thing is that they had sudden become super gassy on their old food, with no changes in diet. :mad: Don't know why it happened but it was part of the reason for the switch.

Things have been super so far. Bronny had a little upset yesterday but otherwise we have very happy poop (a phrase only other pet people get, I'm sure!) and no gas. Yay!!!

And they like it so well I can't feed 'em fast enough. We have a baby gate in the door to the computer room which they can easily jump but respect. It keeps them seperate when they eat since Bronny eats way slower than Fingal, so she eat in peace with the gate between them. The food bin is in the computer room; the last few feedings Bronwyn has leaped the gate to try and get her food faster! :crazy: girl!

Smiley14
October 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
So sorry for the late response...busy week! But that's great to hear the switch is going beautifully! Yay for happy poops! LOL!

Petey had a few gassy days, but now he's doing great as well! And he definitely loves his food as well! He's always been...enthusiastic when he knows it's time to eat. Now he's downright hyper! He runs up and down the stairs back and forth between his bowl and me in a mad dash until I finally get up and follow him. :) I've been putting his kong in his bowl as someone suggested, to slow him down from wolfing his food, and it's been working great as well. :thumbs up So far I'm loving the Canidae! So happy to hear your success story as well! :)

Steph