Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a ? about dog sniffing to greet each other

dogcatharmony
September 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
hi everyone! i just wanted to know if anyone could help me out on how to get my dog comfortable letting other dogs sniff her rear end. when she was a puppy she was bitten by a golden retriever twice ( once at six months and the other at 12 months) same dog and same place.......the dog bit her right smack in the rear end.......the second time he caught a peice of her privates. needless to say she is very timid to let another dog sniff her and i know this is important because that is the way dogs greet each other. she doesnt even sniff the other dog.....she waits till they pee and then will sniff that, or if they sit for a moment then she will sniff the place they sat. she behaves very well around other dogs.....she was socialized well as a pup....two levels of obediance....has many dog friends but just lately things are getting a little tense when the other dog goes for a sniff. she will either sit flat down on her bottom and if it is total stanger dog there is a growl and she hops around like a deer. it seems that just recently everyone in the neighbourhood is getting a dog so there are alot of new faces and she wants to play.....she just doesnt like being sniffed. oh and i should say touched on the rear either........i am the only one who can check out her rear....even the vet can't since she got spayed. i would really like to hear any input, i dont want this behavior to continue.

jessi76
September 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
oh dear! well... I can't say I blame her one bit! honestly, I'd let it go, but if you notice her letting another dog near her rear, I'd praise her. but not coddle her, you don't want to reinforce her behavior... basically don't say "ohhhh it's ok, let fido sniff you...", rather, if Fido gets near the rear, say "good girl!" in a quick happy tone, and leave it at that.

hopefully in time, she'll allow another dog to sniff her. But I wouldn't push it. I think you're very lucky to have such a tolerant dog after being bitten in rump.

dogcatharmony
September 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
thanks for the suggestion...........its okay if she meets another dog on a leash i let people know and they can control their dogs but lately i cannot believe the people who dont have their dog leashed and have no control and no verbal control over their dogs. i get scared then because if they try to sniff and she growls i dont know how the other dog will react. the one loose dog last night didnt even have a collar on........and a guy and his two daughters where walking behind and he couldnt even tell his dog to come. i too am surprised how good she is playing with other dogs and even cats.........we have a big tom on our road and they give each other kisses everyday. its funny she will sniff the cats rear which in my mind is kinda dangerous ( lol i have two cats of my own)

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I think you just have to work on desensitization... Like touch her hiney and praise her like crazy and then give her a break and then touch it a little longer, tons of praise, then another break and so on. My big Boo used to turn around and snap when you touched his hiney (he was kicked in the hiney before), but now after desensitizing him gradually, you can grab his hiney and shake it and he doesn't care. :shrug: Just always make it a good experience from now on.