Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how long to bathe your pooch?

dakar
September 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
OK, color me stupid. I'm home today with a cold/flu and decided I'd had enough of lying around. So I decided to bathe Brie. She really needed it. So half way through I realized I was not up for this! But I had to finish anyway. She hates the water but will stand in the tub and then I haul the water in buckets from the sink to bathe her. 1 1/2 hours later she's clean and mostly dry and I'm done in! I still have to comb her out but that will have to wait till I have a nap :thumbs up Of course I might have been faster if I could stand up for more that 3 minutes at a time! How long does it take you to bathe your pup?

technodoll
September 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
about 20 minutes, or 30 if the dog needs two shampoos... we get in the tub with the doggy, close the shower curtains, and use the "telephone shower" to expedite coat wetting & rinsing, and use a great shampoo that lathers up just right and rinses off clean :thumbs up

we had dakotah done by a professional groomer once, and the job was so bad and took so long, i swore never again! :frustrated:

Golden Girls
September 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I definately leave that to the groomers 4 times a year but inbetween I give them a quick shampoo and hose them down outback which usually takes about 30 mins.

Sorry your not feeling that great. I couldn't imagine bathing them though with the flu :sick: you must be exhausted :dog:

Angies Man
September 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Less than an hour.

I have this fitting that replaces the aeriator in the sink faucet in the bathroom. It has the correct threads for a garden hose, so I connect a garden hose to the faucet, set the water temp to nicely warm (about 90 F) and wash Angie in tub. Me on my knees, she standing or sitting on a thick, wet towel (for non slip surface.)

I use baby shampoo and have a large pan of warm water with a cup or so of white vinegar in it to cut the suds if necessary.

She's a house dog, with a nice fenced & grassy backyard to play in--and I'm fairly careful about getting the poop out of the grass everyday, so she doesn't get really dirty. Standard poodles don't get to smelling too much, so cleaning her up is pretty easy.

She likes to swim, even play in the sprinkler in the yard. She hates bath time tho.

HunterXHunter
September 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I put more than an hour because it takes quite so time to dry off Hunter...especially when he thinkgs you're trying to play "keep away" with him using the towel :dog:

doggy lover
September 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
About 20 min or so, Tucker is great in the bath he just sits there.:D

Smiley14
September 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Poor Petey gets lots of baths. :) He goes to the groomers once a month and that takes about an hour, including "drying" time. Although he's scared of their dryers, so really he sits in their kennel and air dries for a while. Having a nice short coat that dries VERY quickly really helps! :) They do his nails for me too since I hate doing them!

I give him baths at home as needed, usually after a muddy run or a swim at the dog park. He hates it and puts up a fight until he's IN the tub, then he'll stand there perfectly still for me, giving me those sad puppy dog eyes, lol. So it takes about 10 minutes to get him in the tub (usually resorting to my picking him up and dropping him in...not easy at 60lbs!) and then only 10 minutes to rinse him, soap him up, rinse him again, and towel dry. I use the handheld shower on him, so it makes it nice and easy. A minute to dry him off with a towel and out he hops already half dry. :) Clean the tub, throw the towel in the wash, and I'm done in 20 minutes. :)
I give him a quick brush once in a while to get at the undercoat and reduce shedding, but really he's pretty much maintenance free!

Sneaky
September 27th, 2006, 07:13 PM
About 10-15 minutes.
My little dog is very good, s tands very still,
and gives me no trouble whatsoever.
I bath her bi-weekly.

jessi76
September 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
0 min. I don't bathe my dog. it's not necessary. but, on the very odd occassion he's actually dirty (that warrants a bath), it takes about 10 min.

phoenix
September 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
oooooooohhhhh when Maia rolled in long dead unidentified rodent, it was necessary!!!!! (and Sam has rolled on a fish before!!!!):eek: Disgusting.

I do it then with the hose. NO WAY they are coming inside smelling like death. I'd say it takes 20 minutes or so.

My guys swim a lot in the summer, so that takes care of that. I don't bathe them in the winter.

JoshLauraMcGirr
September 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I don't have a dog, but I bathe my cat and it takes about 15 minutes. She loves "Bath" time, she chases the bubbles around the tub. (i know its not really necessary, cause she bathes herself, but if she doesnt get a bath every now and then, then she tries to jump in the shower with me.)

jessi76
September 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I don't have a dog, but I bathe my cat and it takes about 15 minutes. She loves "Bath" time, she chases the bubbles around the tub.

that's hysterical! we need pics...

dogcatharmony
September 27th, 2006, 08:14 PM
takes about 15 mins for me. zoe cooperates but isnt happy and lucky me there is no combing required. she zips around the house and air dry herself. after working as a groomer i myself am not to keen on bathing dogs.........but hey it sure beats trying to give a bunny a bath...........bunnies dont like water....easier to give a cat a bath

Smiley14
September 27th, 2006, 08:43 PM
0 min. I don't bathe my dog. it's not necessary. but, on the very odd occassion he's actually dirty (that warrants a bath), it takes about 10 min.

He never gets stinky?! Wow, that's nice! I swear, Petey develops the worst body odor if he doesn't get bathed at least once a month. He has greasy skin and gets oily too if he doesn't get his bath. And this is a dog that only has access to the house and his fenced in, grassy backyard. He always gets a bath after special outing too.
Hmm, I wonder if that's a result of his previous dog food?? I just thought all dogs got stinky eventually and all dogs needed baths! He's only been on the Candiae for about a week now, so probably too soon to tell. Huh, interesting!

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 10:37 PM
My doggies get greasy after a while... Baths take about 45 minutes max for the two. Longer than that and my back hurts too much.:D

multifaxd
September 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I have a longhaired lab/chow mix..so you can imagine the hair:troll: His name is Dahbe and love the scrubbing, brushing, flossing and I love the just shampooed smell...so this is a long ritual that we both enjoy. My sister has a chocolate lab and she is strictly professional:cool: .

SunGurl372
September 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Just under an hour for Harley in the cooler months....15 minutes to bath her, and then the rest of the time to clean all the @!#$% hair out of the tub. And she gets brushed before going in!!! :evil:

SOOO thankful I'm in Florida, so most baths are done outside with a garden hose.

jessi76
September 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM
He never gets stinky?! Wow, that's nice! .....

I just thought all dogs got stinky eventually and all dogs needed baths!

not all dogs stink. My dog, Tucker, is a basenji-x. Basenji's have NO dog smell, and are very rarely ever "dirty".

There are those few & far between times though when he gets into something he shouldn't (horse field) which warrants a tub-visit. but for the most part - he's the cleanest dog I've ever known.

HunterXHunter
September 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I give him baths at home as needed, usually after a muddy run or a swim at the dog park. He hates it and puts up a fight until he's IN the tub, then he'll stand there perfectly still for me, giving me those sad puppy dog eyes, lol. So it takes about 10 minutes to get him in the tub (usually resorting to my picking him up and dropping him in...not easy at 60lbs!)!

Yeah, I can definitely relate...

The same thing happens with Hunter, and he's close to 80Lbs! But in the summer I give him baths on sunny morning/afternoons outside on the driveway (kinda like washing the car :D ) and he seems to enjoy that much more! It's getting cooler now his baths will have to be indoors until next spring/summer :frustrated: ...we at least I don't have to bathe him as much in the winter...:)

Lissa
September 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Dodger takes about 15 minutes to bathe and dry - Minnow takes 15 minutes to bathe but the drying part takes hours.
They'd freak out if I left them at a groomers - its just not an option:shrug:

Golden Girls
September 28th, 2006, 02:13 PM
They'd freak out if I left them at a groomers - its just not an option:shrug:Mine do too so I pull up a chair :o (royal treatment ;) )

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
If hubby's home and it's nice out we can do them outside and it takes about 20 min. each. Brushing/combing afterwards takes as long as my back can handle it. Otherwise they go to the groomers which I much prefer.

Smiley14
September 28th, 2006, 10:51 PM
not all dogs stink. My dog, Tucker, is a basenji-x. Basenji's have NO dog smell, and are very rarely ever "dirty".

There are those few & far between times though when he gets into something he shouldn't (horse field) which warrants a tub-visit. but for the most part - he's the cleanest dog I've ever known.

That settles it. If I ever get a second dog, it will be a basenji. :D

Smiley14
September 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I can definitely relate...

The same thing happens with Hunter, and he's close to 80Lbs! But in the summer I give him baths on sunny morning/afternoons outside on the driveway (kinda like washing the car :D ) and he seems to enjoy that much more! It's getting cooler now his baths will have to be indoors until next spring/summer :frustrated: ...we at least I don't have to bathe him as much in the winter...:)

So true! Winters are definitely easier as far as the number of baths needed. :) Dog park is usually covered in fluffy white snow instead of open pond and mud. :)
Great idea on the driveway though! I'll have to give that a try next summer. :)

pitgrrl
September 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM

I totally second this. I think I've given my dogs maybe 6-8 baths in the 4 and a half years I"ve had them, and they never smell doggy. It's a good thing too, because I hate giving them baths. Even though it only takes about 15 minutes a dog, it's horrible on the back.

mafiaprincess
September 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
15 minutes once every month or two.

Cinnabear
October 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Less than 15 minutes. Shampoo and condition. It helps to have a hand shower nozzle.