Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First day at puppy classes!

ByronsMum
September 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM
ByronsDad and I just came back from our first session of puppy classes, a free 6 week seminar that our vet gives to new puppy owners. Your puppy gets to meet other dogs in a controlled setting, they discuss training, food, exercise, housetraining, etc...

Anyhoo, first day of class was without the pups. And I had to smile because WHAT WAS THE FIRST THING THEY COVERED??? Feeding. AND WHAT WAS THE FOOD THEY RECOMMENDED?? The brand of kibble that they sell there: Performance Diet and MediCal! And they went on and on about how these are highly researched formulas made especially so that your dog can absorb all the necessary nutrients, bla bla bla...And although they are more expensive, you get more bang for your buck...bla bla bla...

All hubby and I could do was smile and think..."yeah ok. You say what those companies pay you to say and we will keep feeding raw to our little wolf". :p

Mind you, we still think that the classes are VERY useful and will help with socializing Byron, but in terms of feeding, we think we will stick with raw, thank you very much. :)

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 09:53 PM
wow those classes sound like so much fun for the puppies! :highfive: and totally hilarious about the "kibble pushers", LOL! yup it's all about kickbacks... about 40% profit per bag :eek: anyhoo, use the free classes to the max and who knows, maybe you might convince another person or two to "think outside the box" and look at their little wolf through different eyes!

so when are we going to be spoiled with new byron photos? :cool:

Cinnabear
September 27th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Wow I thought free puppy classes, then boom buy this dog food. There is always a catch. :D At least its still good for Bryon to attend and have fun.

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 01:13 AM
You should have grabbed a bag and asked them what "beet pulp" is for...:D

Glad the classes are useful at least..

mummummum
September 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Hmmm..40 % huh? A nd here I thought "living off the avails..." was a criminal offence.:frustrated:

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM
hmm, the vet I worked at only made a couple of bucks a bag...

DakotaJo
September 27th, 2006, 05:11 AM
I only discovered this site a few days ago and am really getting an education ! I keep seeing the talk turning to "raw" feeding. Could someone explain what that is? Is it about feeding the dog raw meat? If so, what kind? I feed Micky hamburger every day and occasionally deer meat but I always cook it first. Is it better not to cook it? What about eggs? He eats a LOT of eggs but I scramble them and mix them in with his dog food.:confused:

ByronsMum
September 27th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I keep seeing the talk turning to "raw" feeding. Could someone explain what that is? Is it about feeding the dog raw meat?

Hi and welcome DakotaJo! If you would like more info on raw feeding, etc, go to the Dog and Cat Food subforum (under Recipes for Pets) and post there. Yes, raw feeding IS feeding your dog raw meat, but mainly what they call RMB (raw meaty bones). There are some amazingly knowledgeable people out there who can explain it better than I ever could.

Some cool websites that one of the members here recommended are:

http://www.geocities.com/havens_home/feed.htm

http://rawfed.com/links.html

http://rawfeddogs.net/

http://rawlearning.com/

This is Byron's first week on the new diet and he LOVES it (hence the idea of him being a little "wolf" :p ) Cheers and good luck! :thumbs up

ByronsMum
September 27th, 2006, 05:51 AM
so when are we going to be spoiled with new byron photos? :cool:

ByronsDad took a few that are sooooooo cute. I love this little guy!!! :cloud9: He has to go to the vets' today to see why he keeps (still!!!) scratching. We have ruled out fleas....so hopefully it is something we can manage quickly and painlessly! :fingerscr

Don't you think he has the saaaaaddest eyes???!!!! :dog:

Lissa
September 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Oh my goodness! He is adorable!! The classes sound great!

I can't believe you had to sit through their speech about the greatness of Medi-cal! Did anyone buy a bag from them??

technodoll
September 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM
ooooh sweet photos! :cloud9: hims gonna be a BIG boy! :highfive:

byron may have environmental allergies, or latent food allergies that may take a while to go away... *some* dogs are allegic to raw chicken so maybe a good idea to explore that. sometimes it's just dry skin (adding EFA's to food helps alot but it's not an immediate cure... say one 1000mg capsule of ocean fish oil per day), or shampoo residue from a previous bath. sometimes it's the fabric softener residue from washing their favorite blanket!

the vet will probably bully you into buying one of their awful "food" products but stand your ground... ask for allergy tests and go from there. good luck! byron is an amazing boy! :dog:

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM
he's adorable. He looks so fluffy and huggable.:cloud9:

If the allergies lessen after the first major frost, it's likely they're ragweed allergies.:shrug:

ByronsMum
September 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Just called hubby and asked how it went. He said that the vet couldn't find any sign of allergy rashes or fleas. But just in case, she prescribed a one-time skin medication to make sure it isnt fleas. She also prescribed Omega-3 capsules, cus she suspects that it is dry skin. Byron ate the pill with no problem....that pup will eat shoe leather if we feed it to him!!!!!! :dog:

OH! And LO AND BEHOLD... hubby told the vet that we have Byron on raw! And she said that was fine!!!! :crazy: Hooray!!! :highfive: Good to know that we are not going to vets who are completely in the dark about this...even though they pushed the benefits of "their" kibble.

ByronsMum
September 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I can't believe you had to sit through their speech about the greatness of Medi-cal! Did anyone buy a bag from them??

Nope. But I am sure some of them will! Next class should be interesting...we are to bring the puppies and let them off leash to meet each other and play!!!! The only other dog Byron has played with is BryonsDad's (hubby) VERY LARGE bouvier/collie mix (they love each other!!!)!! So playing with a dog who is more his size will be different!!! And they will be covering "nipping" as a topic next time. GOOD THING TOO!!! :o

technodoll
September 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM
:highfive: for a modern vet! LOL

She also prescribed Omega-3 capsules, cus she suspects that it is dry skin

Just buy them at your local drugstore, they're SO much cheaper. Just find the 1000mg Ocean Fish Oil capsules and you'll be fiiiine. :)

dogcatharmony
September 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
lol cute pics.........my dog just slobbered all over the computer screen.....i think she likes him