Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nipple sucking

roxanne rose
September 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
hi, i have a cat. shes about 1.5 years old and one day ages ago we ran outta milk for her for a couple of days and gave her water then she started sucking her nipple. just one of them. she had kittens and stopped for a little while but shes started again, she does it when some one pets her and she enjoys it or if she likes the person, it really freaks people out. any ideas on why she is doing it and any tips on stopping it???

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Sorry, I'm confused. When did you stop giving milk?

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I'm confused too...and why are you giving her milk instead of water?

badger
September 26th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I think she's saying the cat is nursing on herself.
It's unusual, but I wouldn't stop her.
If you have her spayed, it will probably stop. Good idea anyway, there are enough cats on the planet.
What are you feeding her? Maybe she's missing something from her diet and is trying to supplement.

roxanne rose
September 27th, 2006, 05:36 AM
we didn't mean to stop giving her milk. we ran outta it and had no money to get more. will be getting her spayed, first on my list of 3 cats, she just had a litter and has stopped it for now. she has normal cat biscuits and caned cat meat to eat.

badger
September 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Many cats have a problem with milk, it can give them diarrhea, so if any of your kitties suffer from this, you know the probable reason. I'd give them half water and half milk and then slowly wean them off. Then only give it as a treat.
And please keep Momma locked up until she's spayed. She can get pregnant again in the blink of an eye, even if she's still nursing.