Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Here are my new picks...

erykah1310
September 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Well now that i am upset with SG ( for stiffing their loyal customers) although I have only been purchasing for about a month.

I have narrowed the dogs new food ( yet again) to Wellness or Acana
Since there is no specific health reason for the dogs having to have no poultry or anything like Prins situation (:grouphug: ) Im not sure which formula to go with on either side however.

The cats have taken well to the Acana that i have decided on for them. No tough transition for them.
I had never heard of this food before. I have read the previous thread about it for dogs, but does anyone feed to their cats??

erykah1310
September 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I should have added this a while ago in the previous post but ... I guess I like talking to myself. :o

I was thinking with Meik, if I chose the Acana. I would put him on the Premium Deluxehttp://www.championpetfoods.com/dogs/premium_deluxe.aspx

Kita I was thinking that the Salmon and Potato looked good. http://www.championpetfoods.com/dogs/salmonpotato.aspx

but for Puppy I have no idea... I really dont want to buy 3 different bags of food. How do you guys think the salmon and potato would be for him??

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
yikes, the acana "premium deluxe" does not have premium nor deluxe ingredients :eek:

Chicken meal, whole grain corn, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract), whole grain rice, beet pulp (sugar removed), natural chicken flavor, whole ground flax

this food is chicken and corn, has an artificial stool hardener high on the list of ingredients ... :yuck:

the salmon & potato looks MUCH better but you are feeding potato peels, also has the beet pulp... it could be worse though! :)

Pacific salmon meal, ground whole russet potato, oatmeal, fresh lake Whitefish, rice bran, salmon, canola and sunflower oils (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp (sugar removed), ground whole flax, sun-cured alfalfa, dried whole kelp,

erykah1310
September 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I didnt really like the corn either.... I NEED another Freezer, get this raw going ASAP :frustrated: But the doggies need to eat in the mean time.:shrug:
Perhaps for the time being.... I dont know :yell: :yell:

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 09:38 PM
you mentioned wellness? if you have access to that... it would be a much better choice. IMO corn does not belong in a carnivore's diet :shrug:

i love my little chest freezer, LOL! :crazy:

erykah1310
September 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
made the stupidest move ever 2 months ago... Had a big freezer that had next to nothing in it so ... I sent it to the dump and got a smaller one for in the kitchen.

Boy do i regret that move.

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
You don't have access to Canidae where you are? That would be the best, IMO- for both Meik and Puppy. Why is Kita going to be on a different food?

Maybe supplement it with some evo too?

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 09:45 PM
prin you'Re gonna have to change your signature to "betrayed by SG, moved to Camp EVO" - LOL! :D

erykah1310
September 26th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It was Meik who was going to be on a different food. Since he is a part time cattle dog and ALWAYS on the go.

Puppy and Kita have "normal" activity levels. Puppys are prolly a bit below normal cause of his health problems.

Not sure about the Canidae, I imagine there is some around. I have just been trying to shop a bit more locally. Sometimes, especially during winter, a 1 hour drive for dog food is kinda out of the question.:shrug:

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Erykah, I know what you mean about the drive in the winter. :frustrated:
What dog foods are available close by?

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah, shop around and give us a list of convenient ones.:)

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
yeah! teamwork :highfive:

and maybe find another freezer for the doggies on freecycle, garage sales, newspaper ads, clearance sales... ;)

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
prin you'Re gonna have to change your signature to "betrayed by SG, moved to Camp EVO" - LOL! :D
I changed it... but less slanderous, just in case.:D

erykah1310
September 26th, 2006, 10:43 PM
The closest dog foods ( 10 minute drive)
Are crappy, there is the usual Dog Chow, Pedigree, Big Red, Alpo, Purina One ect.

Next, there is ( 15 minutes) a feed lot. They have a bunch of stuff with no ingredient lists ( so im not going to even bother there)

And half an hour away... I'll get back to you on that with in the next few days. Thanks gals.

And Techno, I placed an ad for a freezer this week. (It'll be advertised tomorrow) I have been looking for a good deal on one.
I thought about brand new but now that Larry got hurt, I freaked out about Puppy sneezing:o , and the truck breaking again. All in one weekend, I kinda need to conserve the cash flow for the next week or so.

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM
yeah erykah, wait until your finances are in order again! :sick: but who knows if a really good deal happens your way, :cloud9:

prin, your new sig line's awesome! :evil:

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
The closest dog foods ( 10 minute drive)
Are crappy, there is the usual Dog Chow, Pedigree, Big Red, Alpo, Purina One ect.

Next, there is ( 15 minutes) a feed lot. They have a bunch of stuff with no ingredient lists ( so im not going to even bother there)

And half an hour away... I'll get back to you on that with in the next few days. Thanks gals.

So, where did you purchase the Solid Gold from? :confused:

erykah1310
September 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
an hour away, in sudbury. It's not a problem right now to get it cause i work there, but come winter I could be up north in Timmins or Kapuskasing ( sp??) and not working in Sudz so I would like to get something that is less of a drive to get.

meb999
September 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Most stores that hold Acana also hold Orijen, which is also by Champion petfoods. It's their higher end food :

http://www.acana.cz/orijen/about/

ORIJEN is a new direction in pet nutrition: BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE.
The Biologically Appropriate concept is simple: include the fresh, whole foods that dogs and cats are naturally evolved to eat (in correct ratio and quantity), and exclude ingredients like cereal grains that are biologically inappropriate.

Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate.

meb999
September 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
if you ABSOLUTELY want to feed Acana...I would stay away from the Premium deluxe, it seems to be the worse of their formulas. Not only is corn a HUGE part of the food, but it's not great to see chicken fat as a 3rd ingredient --- research has shown that fat in the top four ingredients can increase the chances of bloat.

I'd try the lamb and rice over the premium deluxe any day!
New Zealand lamb meal, ground whole rice, steamed oatmeal, rice bran, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary), beet pulp (sugar removed), ground whole flaxseed, natural lamb flavor, yeast extract (MOS), chicory root (FOS), steamed sweet potato, yucca shidigera, dl-glucosamine HCl (lobster shell), chondroitin sulfate (shark cartilage), marigold extract (source of lutein), Atlantic kelp, carrots, tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), apples, whole garlic, parsley, rosemary extract, cranberry, salt, yeast culture, ginko, ginseng, green tea extract, potassium chloride, choline chloride, lysine, vitamin A supplement, dl alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), methionine, carnitine, vitamin D3 supplement, *iron Bioplex™, *zinc Bioplex™, *manganese Bioplex™, biotin, *copper Bioplex™, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin K supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12, *iodine Bioplex™, folic acid. *chelated mineral

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah, that one is better, but still very ricey and with beet pulp.:shrug:

erykah1310
September 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hokay.... here is a bit of a list.

Little more accessible to me come winter.

Fromms, Wellness, Acana, ( some mixture stuff, I think its a "just add water" kinda thing and its quite pricey, not too mention im not too interested in it), Royal Canin, Nutrience, Technical... and then all the really junky stuff like dog chow and so on.

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Fromm or Wellness.:shrug:

erykah1310
September 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Its friggen hard to pick:frustrated:

I need a food that is gonna be good for all 3 dogs. One high energy, one special needs ( puppy) and one who is other wise a nice medium.

I think I see now why people would rather not "care" that their dog is eating junk. The more you know ( and can ask about) the harder it gets.

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
IMO, with no allergies, Fromm would be better.:shrug:

technodoll
September 27th, 2006, 09:52 PM
my boy loves the Fromm's duck & sweet potato... but not the others. the food does smell pretty nice, for a kibble :)

rainbow
September 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'd pick Fromm's too. :D