Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

An episode this weekend !!!!

Hunter's_owner
September 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM
The weather this weekend was great. Its good to take advantage of nice days this time of year. So Hunter and I were out in the yard playing, waiting for my bf (and Hunter's "dad" to get off work). My parents were around as well. I left and went inside to answer the phone or something and when I went back outside, Hunter was acting like he was gagging or something.

So I shouted for my parents to come around to see what was wrong with him. When I went up to him, he was freaking out. He was frothing, and pawing at his mouth, gagging, and more. It was almost like he was having a seizure, which was what my dad had thought. So I had a little bit of a panic attack. Then I got it together to try to help him. When I looked again, it was like he had something stuck in his throat, so I put my hand in, and felt something on the roof of his mouth. When I looked...it was a stick.

He had a stick jammed in the roof of his mouth, stuck between his back teeth. And I mean stuck :eek: !!. I could get my fingers between the stick and the roof of his mouth, but the stick wouldn't budge. Anyways, my dad seen it and tried, and on his second attempt he finally got it clear. What a relief. Hunter was relieved too, he put his head on my shoulder, and we hugged for a long time :) .

Just thought I'd share the ordeal.
But I have no idea where he got that stick, There are trees around, so the only thing I can think is that he bit it off a tree and it got stuck. Well, you can be sure, I will walk through the yard from now on and pick up all sticks, I never want to see that again!!! :dog:

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM
oh my GAWD! that is terrible :eek: poor hunter... he was lucky you were there! :grouphug: big hugs pleeeeease! and some ice-cream to sooth his throat... :o

Puppyluv
September 26th, 2006, 07:21 PM
:eek: Poor Hunter!!! Lay had an event like that a while back.. wonder if I can find it...
:eek: (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18585) (click the second face)

Skryker
September 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
:grouphug: for you and Hunter! Poor pup. I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Hunter's_owner
September 26th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, Hunter got lots of hugs, lol. Puppyluv its good that there was a vet place so close. If I had been by myself when it happened, I would have had to drive 30-40 minutes to see the vet, and it would have had to be an emergency call.

I really don't think I would have been able to drive all by myself with Hunter in such a state, Thank God my dad was there to save the day.

Now Dad says Hunter owes him a vet fee, if nothing else :rolleyes: .

mummummum
September 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Ceili has done the same thing a few times. The first time she had a wedge of wood stuck behind her front teeth between her gums and teeth. The last time she had a piece of a stick stuck between her two upper molars. And there's Bridie thinking Mummy is playing a game with Ceili and she starts jumping all over the poor girl while Mummy has her hand lodged in her mouth! I'm glad everything worked out for Hunter ~ bit of a heart gallop though isn't it ?!!

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Glad you and your dad were there for Hunter. I am always picking up sticks in our yard from the cedar tree. If my boys get them first they either chew on them or one of them has one in his mouth and the other is chasing him....such an accident waiting to happen.