Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Opinion: "Nature's Recipe" Dry Dog Food

ShaggyRudy
September 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Hi all -
I hate to start yet another thread, but I've done every type of search on this site and found very limited info. about this food. Does anyone have any knowledge about Nature's Recipe dry dog food (aside from the list of ingredients as I have this in front of me already). It was one of the only dog foods I found at the pet store w/out corn and other fillers and also has chicken listed first in the ingredient list. Our pup currently eats Adult Science Diet - Original. After much research and quick weight gain by the pooch, I've decided to switch him to something with less carbs and fillers, etc. I've seen a lot of info on Nuro, Innova, Solid Gold, etc. - but not much on Nature's Recipe. Any thoughts??

Thanks much!

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Nature's Recipe is a step up from Science Diet but a very small one and about the only thing it's got going for it is that it doesn't have corn. If you would like to list the ingredients we'll pick it apart for you.

Of the other three you listed, Innova is the best (that's what I am currently feeding).

There is a "sticky" at the top of this dog food forum page posted by meb999 that lists the ingredients for a lot different foods.

This is a list of the ingredients you should avoid:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

There's a lot of great information on that website for you to check out. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions. :D

ShaggyRudy
September 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Here's the ingredients for Nature's Recipe:

Chicken meal, ground rice, pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb digest, tomato pomace, salt, potassium chloride, yeast culture, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 20.0%
Crude Fat 10.0%
Crude Fiber 4.5%
Moisture 10.0%
Iron 200 mg/kg
Copper 10 mg/kg
Zinc 150 mg/kg
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg
Vitamin E 100 IU/kg
Beta Carotene* 5 mg/kg

INPUT??

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
shaggy if you know how to read & interpret dog food labels, and this is the best available to you, then feel no guilt in feeding it! it's not perfect but it's far from bad compared to iams, purina, etc... :)

personally i would supplement this food with some real nutrition such as canned fish, cooked meats, eggs, cottage cheese, canned food, etc to make sure your dog's diet is better than with the kibble alone.

good luck! :thumbs up

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
The lamb digest, tomato pomace, yeast culture and menadione sodium bisulfite complex are all ingredients to avoid:

Lamb Digest

Digest
May also appear as dried, or spray dried.

AAFCO: Material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. Sometimes the type and part of animals used is specified, such as in "Chicken Digest", "Lamb Digest" or "Poultry Liver Digest".

A cooked-down broth made from specified, or worse, unspecified parts of specified or unspecified animals (depending on the type of digest used). If the source is unspecified (e.g. "Animal" or "Poultry", the animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.

Tomato Pomace

Tomato Pomace
Also appears in ingredient lists as dried.

AAFCO: The mixture of tomato skins, pulp, and crushed seeds.

An inexpensive byproduct of human food processing that may still contain traces of pesticides present in the tomato skins. Does not contain the whole complement of nutrients as whole fresh or dried tomatoes.

Yeast Culture

Yeast Culture
AAFCO: The dried product composed of yeast and the media on which it is grown, dried in such a manner as to preserve the fermenting activity of the yeast.

An unnecessary, feed-grade ingredient in pet foods, added mainly as a flavoring to make inexpensive food more attractive. Lacks the nutritional value of higher quality yeast supplements. The media on which the yeast was grown is not identified. Also a potential allergen for some dogs.

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex

Menadione Sodium Bisulfate
Vitamin K3, synthetic vitamin K.

Feed grade. Also listed as Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfate, Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Unnecessary ingredient in dog food. This synthetic version of vitamin K has not been specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food. It has been linked to many serious health issues.

Just out of curiousity, what does a large bag (30-35 lb.) cost?

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Meal (which I notice you put in bold meaning it's a bad ingredient, right?) is actually a good thing. Meal is the dehydrated meat, which doesn't include the water content in its weight. When the meat is wet, it's 70-90% water (depending who you talk to), and all that water evaporates. Being that the food ingredient label order is by weight, we don't like that water to be counted.:shrug:

Meal is not the rendered stuff people used to claim.:shrug:

ShaggyRudy
September 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys!
Technodoll - this actually isn't the only option available to me. I've been on line some more tonight and noticed that a pet store close to me carries Innova Evo. Looks like the ingredients in that are much better and have more protein. I also noticed that many people on this forum feed their dogs Innova.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM
EVO rocks! :highfive: and they started a new trend in dog food, it was about time :thumbs up

ShaggyRudy
September 28th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I'm going to go check out the Pet Store that sells EVO this evening.

What's the opinion on Royal Canin??

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Royal Canin is middle-of the road... a step above purina & iams, but far from "holistic". :)

ShaggyRudy
September 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Makes sense. Is EVO pretty pricey?

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
yes, evo is one of the most expensive kibbles out there (well in canada it is, LOL! lucky americans... still cheap there). but you don't feed much and there are no fillers so smaller poops, better digestibility, etc... :p

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
The last time I looked Innova EVO was $59 + taxes for the large bag here in B.C.

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
we're getting ripped off here in quebec: regular EVO is $72 for 28.6 lbs, plus 15% tax! and the EVO RM is about $5 more. it's ridiculous. i need to find a way to get it from the states for half the price :frustrated:

Frenchy
September 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
we're getting ripped off here in quebec: regular EVO is $72 for 28.6 lbs, plus 15% tax! and the EVO RM is about $5 more. it's ridiculous. i need to find a way to get it from the states for half the price :frustrated:
If you lived in Sherrington,you could go and buy it yourself :p But seriously,$72 for 28 pounds??? And people buy that stuff?

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
is it OK to make a day trip to the states, and bring back a bag of dog food? :confused:

Angies Man
September 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM
is it OK to make a day trip to the states, and bring back a bag of dog food? :confused:

Speaking for all of the people of the United States, it's okay with us! Bring some cheap pharmaceuticals, tho. :D

Esaunders
September 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Travel allowances upon return to Canada (according to the Canadian Border Services Declaration form:
- 24 hours - $50 CAN
- 48 hours - $200 CAN

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hmm... One bag at a time then.

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
yup, and it requires an overnight stay, too. grumble grumble! :frustrated: give us canucks a break! :ca:

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Sleep in the car.:D That way you save the money for sure.:D

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:16 PM
and bring a cooler with sandwiches and beer! LOL

:crazy:

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Don't drink the beer in the car though.:eek:

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:31 PM
no that's just for the dogs, to keep them quiet so they don't tell the border patrol we're smuggling dog food :D

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I think bully sticks would be better for that.:D

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:46 PM
there shall be no bull penises in my car! :yuck: :o :p

Prin
September 28th, 2006, 09:47 PM
lol when I read that, I missed the bull part and I was thinking, "ooo she's not gonna like what I'm gonna point out next..." :D

technodoll
September 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
ROTLFMAO!!! man... i need to get to bed soon, i'm about to start typing silly things and threadjacking's gonna have me baaaaaaaaanned! :eek: