Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

looking to rescue a large male dog, Montreal area

technodoll
September 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
i don't know where to start looking... oh and it's not for me, it's for my petsitter's brother, whose beautiful german shepherd Sarge passed away on Saturday... he choked to death on an inflatable ball that the neighbor's kid accidentally kicked over the fence and onto the deck where the dog was... this was on the 2nd floor of a building too... the dog played with the ball which apparently deflated, and then tried to eat it but choked to death :sad: it is such a tragedy, and the owner is taking it very badly (he was working at the time so could not help). he's been crying for two days and has missed work. my petsitter has asked for my help, he wants to hook his brother up with a another dog to help fill the void (the home is too empty without the pitter-patter of doggy feet). he's always loved big mastiff-type dogs, and preferably a male... rotties, shepherds, danes, etc. can anyone please help? this dog would be very much loved and would be the only "kid" in the house... :pray:

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I think BMD is taking a break from rescue, but she does large breed doggy rescue.:shrug:

Otherwise, there's petfinder, the SPCAs (Monteregie always has a ton of large breeds that aren't on their site)...

technodoll
September 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
prin, any phone numbers my friend could call?...

i suck at finding all that info :( and really appreciate everyone's help!

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM
www.petfinder.com
You can search there, using your postal code or city, province, or you can go to "shelter and rescue groups" at the top, put in your location again, and see all the rescues around here.

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Sophie has some german sheps:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6918395
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6918398

And this guy from Rosie:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7043032

And Le Refuge (where my dad got his Jack):
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7038779
:shrug: Once you find a dog, you have to fill out the adoption forms for whatever rescue it is and wait to be approved.

Inverness here is Sacha's Den:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC07.html

And BoxerRescueMTL is Boxer Rescue of Quebec:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC29.html

There are also a few members here with golden rescue:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC20.html

technodoll
September 25th, 2006, 11:20 PM
thanks so much! i will look into this tomorrow and give my friend the phone numbers... he has no PC access so i'll have to help out :fingerscr

jiorji
September 25th, 2006, 11:27 PM
crikey!poor guy. You know sometimes i think "a few minutes can make such a difference" and there you go...this poor man lost his friend in one day:sad:
I hope he finds a new dog soon but I don't know..isn't it too soon? I really think you're doing a good thing trying to help.:love:

Poodletalk just posted something about a dog adoption day on september 30th in NDG. Why not take him there? I think most dogs from Monteregie will be present.

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I wonder, eh, in this day and age where a lot of rescues expect you to fill out the forms on the net before calling, how net-less people are supposed to get through...

technodoll
September 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM
in this day and age where a lot of rescues expect you to fill out the forms on the net before calling, how net-less people are supposed to get through...

yeah good question. so many folks (specially the "older generation") either don't have a computer at home or are not computer literate, and wouldn't get near one with a 10-foot pole... what are these people supposed to do? i guess call, and find a way to get to the shelter to fill out the form there?... anyways a trip to meet the dog would be an absolute minimum, I would think! :rolleyes:

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah, you need connections or something...:shrug:

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 12:19 AM
What about one of "the huskies" back there? I keep checking for updates but never find one. :fingerscr

fosterpat
September 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
We get people who call us all the time and don't have a computer. We simply fill out their application with them over the phone. You know rescue is all volunteers so doing things on the internet, like applications saves everyone a lot of time and energy. On another note, Blue Ribbon always have some rescue german shepherds.

poodletalk
September 26th, 2006, 08:18 AM
SPCA Monteregie has some beautiful large dogs, we have a ST.Benard in, Buffy is a female she's the biggest sweet heart you can imgaine. We also have some shepherd mixes and rotties.

I don't know where your friend lives, but SPCA Monteregie will be having a dog adoption day at Bark & Fritz on Monkland this Saturday. I don't know what type of dogs are going, but your friend can go and take alook. Maybe he will see a dog that he likes or inquire about other dogs.

If you want to call the SPCA Monteregie, call 450-460-3075

Here's a picture of Buffy...again she's a total sweetheart! :love:

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 09:26 AM
i'll have a talk with my dogsitter today, i know he spent an hour on the phone with his brother yesterday night... i'll let you all know what happens and thank you for all your help! :candle:

mona_b
September 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM
technodoll,just a question.Is Sarge's owner looking for another dog after just loosing his baby?Or is his brother "surprising" him?...If his brother is surprising him I would be very careful.His brother may not want another one right away.He may want to have his grieving time.I know when I lost my first GSD at the age of 13,getting another was the furthest thing from my mind at that point and time.I wanted my time to grieve....I would find out first....Just a thought.....:)

What beautiful GSDs...There is no way that Jasper 2 has Lab in him.He is definately a pure GSD.

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
from what i understood, it's not a surprise... but i will confirm today. :angel:

LibbyP
September 26th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Hey TD sorry to hear this happened, accidents happen so fast, I think Sophie has a Mastiff(not sure what type) coming in but I think she said it was 3yrs and a female, does gender matter when their neutered/spayed anyway? Just a suggestion :rip: Sarge

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I was wondering too. Females are great.:)

Frenchy
September 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
TD,your best bet would be petfinder.com. Almost all the rescues are there (the german sheppard one too) Not on petfinder ; SPCA Laval and Montérégie who have their own website. If you need any help,I'm here.

BMDLuver
September 26th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Ahem...... I am not taking a break lol, my job gets in the way a bit. ;)

I have 1 Berner in presently and two on the way. So there ya have it. :D

vfrohloff
September 27th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Would he be interested in a Greyhound? If so, let me know and I'll give you the number for Greyhound Rescue Quebec.

technodoll
September 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I think he's looking into adopting an amstaff or pittie... I'll keep you guys posted, there will be news by the end of the week :)

BMDLuver
September 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Sasha's Den has one of the most beautiful male pits I have every seen. I think his name is Hoshi? Trying to remember, sorry should have looked it up first.

BoxerRescueMTL
September 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Sasha's has the most beautiful pitties. Sadly, they are so hard to find good homes for...

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Ahem...... I am not taking a break lol, my job gets in the way a bit. ;)

I have 1 Berner in presently and two on the way. So there ya have it. :D
Great! The break is over then. :D

Techno, how about a burmese?

(kidding again! :D ok, I'll stop now before I bug everybody...:o )