Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oster Golden A5 Clipper help

JudyRae
September 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I just purchased an Oster Golden A5 Clipper and it came with a #10 blade. I used it once to clip my little cock-a-poo and it worked great...cut his fur like cutting through butter. I wanted to clip my Aussie but not so short, so I sent for a comb to attach to the clipper. I tried it today and my clipper fell apart (blade fell out). I decided that the comb wasn't such a good idea and maybe I should send for a special blade. My problem is that I can't put the darn thing back together like it was. I wanted to just trim him a little with the #10 blade and it keeps falling apart. I think I put something together wrong, but my manual only shows how to oil the motor and no pictures of how the blade should look. Can anyone help me figure out how it should go back together?:pawprint:

Byrd
September 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Um.... can I ask why you're clipping an Aussie? :confused:

JudyRae
September 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Just wanted to trim her legs a little. We live on a farm and she likes to chase squirrels when she's not rounding up the cattle and gets burdocks in the fur on her legs. She's a beauty and outsmarts us all the time. I think when my clippers fell apart I might have lost a little blade. I did it outside on our deck. But I don't know what I'm hunting for because I don't have a picture of what all the parts look like.

Byrd
September 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Oh, okay, *whew* I thought you were shaving the whole dog. I always hated it when people would come into the shop with a dog that wasn't supposed to be shaved down and request that they be buzzed. :( :mad:

The blade comes in two pieces, the larger piece, and the blade piece which is about an inch wide.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/graphics/clippers/442-6070-01.jpg

OntarioGreys
September 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah the blade is a 2 part assembly, the blade itself looks a little different than above since it uses 2 screws but basically the same idea, you may want to contact Oster to see who can repair in your area, if you had taken it apart to clean your may not have reassembled it together properly, the lower blade has a slot it must be firmly pushed into, if you had notit may not have been assembled properly it should not have fell apart that easily just from putting a comb on a as the 2 screws that hold the blade on would prevent it from falling apart, so may be covered by the warranty

JudyRae
September 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the link to the picture. I can see now that I'm missing the little blade. I have the big one. One of the screws came loose and the blade & comb turned sideways. I had to take the other screw out in order to get the comb off the blade. It must have fallen under the deck or just flew when the screw came loose. I'll have to crawl around under the deck and see if I can find it and if not order another one. I appreciate the help.
And No I wouldn't shave my Aussie...in fact, I'm sure she wouldn't let me.
She's a real cracker jack and hyper as all Aussie's can be. But I cut the burrs out of her legs and she looked kind of scraggly, so I thought I'd pretty her up. It was a bad idea all the way around.. I lost a blade and she only let me do one leg anyway.