Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Cats/Kittens with Coccidia

canning4aliving
September 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
well, seems the litter has finally gotten better. We were able to save 4 of the 6 kittens. (One passed before we were aware of the trouble.) Vet tried an alternative med for mama and it seems to have worked well this time. Hope it lasts! He also instructed me to wean the kittens a bit early to save mama's strength and try to get her back to better. The kittens are 6 weeks old and 2 days and all have been adopted to wonderful homes with loving families and children. All will be inside cats. If the person that dropped mama off at my house while she was sick was near me I'd have to give her a piece of my mind. She could have killed a lot of cats out here in the country. I live in the corn belt with lots of farms and farmers that depend on their cats. I am glad I didn't give up.
Mama is still an outside cat and I think she must have previously been inside. I've offered her a look around inside but she won't come thru the door. She is very sweet and loving and I am glad she is still here. I hope it lasts. (still scares me)! :eek:
I read some other threads about whether or not to have an indoor/outdoor cat. ILLNESS is the biggie as far as I am concerned about why cats shouldn't be both. If they prefer outside, let them. There are some that prefer inside too. It all works out, but letting one go back and forth can be dangerous! I had a very sweet one get hit 2 yrs ago. She came when called just like a dog! I miss POPPY very much! :rip: girls! seems the life expectancy of an outdoor cat is about 1 yr out here. My inside cat is now 5. The kitten we kept is inside. Her name is Rolo. She is a Tortiose Shell calico. I will try to post a pic soon.
Thanks to those that helped! :thumbs up

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Glad to hear momma cat is doing well and that homes were found for the kittens. I have two cats that were semi-feral rescues. They are 3 and 4 yr. old and inside/outside cats. We live in a rural area and I've never had a problem. They come when they are called and are always in before supper time.

Would love to see pics of Rolo, mama and the rest of your crew.

LibbyP
September 25th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Ya Hoo, Glad to hear everyone is doing much better, and that you decided to stay:) . Like rainbow cannot wait to see some pics of the fur-family