Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Euthanizing One Dog, should I take her sister too..

justinshattuck
September 24th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Question:

I currently have two bullmastiffs, ages 5.5 years old. They're sisters, one is currently diagnosed with a terminal illness and we have decided to have her euthanized in the morning.

My inquiry surrounds the topic of taking her sister, the other mastif along with us during the procedure. Has anyone had an event such as this occur and did you take your other pet(s) or the animals (family) along. If not, what did you do to help the other pet(s) or dog feel comforted after the fact.

Hopefully, I was clear with my question.

Should I take the other dog to her sister's euthanization procedure..

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Wow, that's a toughie. :grouphug: The few dogs I've put down were alone with us (we left the other dog at home). They sort of know anyway, so IMO, it gives you time alone with her to focus just on her. :shrug:

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :grouphug:

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
oh that is so sad.... I'm terribly sorry for your poor girl :grouphug: i think your surviving girl should not be there with you, it's traumatic enough as it is... when you come home, you can grieve together and celebrate the life that has gone to the rainbow bridge :candle:

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, I am so sorry for what you have to go through. :grouphug: I agree with the others and that you should leave the other animals at home.

But everyone is different and you know what's best for your pets. If you really want them to be there then I would ask the vet to come to your house to euthanize your girl. :candle:

BoxerMom
September 24th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I would say no...Let that time be for the departing sister(the one being put down). You will want to put all your attention on her. She will 'know' you are sad for some reason, and will need comforting. The surviving sister will look for the departed at first, but eventually will stop...

jiorji
September 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM
personally i wouldn't take her. Animals feel what's going on more than we know. She could get really emotional and behave unusually at the vet. Nothing you want to put up with in such difficult times.

When you come back just hold her and spend time with her and i think trying to not change her regular schedule is important.

Poor babies. :sad:

mona_b
September 25th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I would also have to say no.

As BoxerMom stated,you will want to focus and put all your attention on the one sister who is being put down.

2 years ago I had to put one of my GSDs down,Yukon.I left my other(who was his cousin,Tron)at home.There was no way I could have brought Tron to see what was going to happen to his cousin.I just couldn't do that to him.And I wanted to spend the time I had left with Yukon to myself.This was my moment with him.And I knew that when I got home,all my attention and focus was on Tron.

It took quite some time for Tron to get over his grieving(months)...But he is doing great now.

I too am sorry you have to go through this......:grouphug:

OntarioGreys
September 25th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I know others that have taken a dog with them and allowed them to sniff the body afterward, they claim it is easier on the surviving dog as they can accept they are not coming back easier so they are not going searching for their companion. I am not sure how true that is, but there is not doubt that they do go thru a grieving process and some take it very hard.

My condolences to you especially losing her so young :candle: