Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mixing two formulas of the same brand

coppperbelle
September 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM
What are your thoughts on varying formulas of food from the same company? For example feeding the venison in the morning and the fish in the afternoon or mixing two bags together.

SunGurl372
September 24th, 2006, 09:19 PM
In the past, I have mixed Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue and Dakota Bison for Harley's meals daily with no issues whatsoever. Interestingly, when she was on the Ocean Blue alone, I saw a great deal more issues with itching and such, but the jury's out on whether that might be seasonal allergies.

Anyhow, I've been able to blend TO's formulas at will, and then switch cold turkey back to one or the other solo without any detox time at all.

All this with a girl who is HIGHLY sensitive to switching. Trust me, I've had two very bad experiences with food changes with her to know!!!

I'm sure you'd have to be with a company who maintains similar standards of quality in all their formulas. It's pretty clear that there are some who have varying degrees of quality across their product line.

mafiaprincess
September 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I mixed WK and barking all the time in past.. Currently mixing dvp ultra, evo rm and nv chicken no issues.

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
yep i mix kibbles together all the time... ex: EVO and Fromm's, EVO and Nutro, or mix in sample packs of various kibbles i get from the petstore.... never any problems :shrug:

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I agree with the others....mixing provides variety.

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Mixing to of the same brand might overlap the wrong ingredients (i.e. the grain part). :shrug: I'm probably going to give at least Boo some DVP sweet potato and fish on top of the evo (not sure if Jemma needs any extras right now...).

coppperbelle
September 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I was thinking of giving some DVP Sweet Potato and Fish with the Venison formula just so that they have a variety of proteins. They did so well on the SG, WK which contains salmon and bison.

On another note, my 3 e-mails to Solid Gold remain unanswered.

BMDLuver
September 25th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I mix two different foods of the same company as well. Doesn't seem to affect my guys with the varying type of proteins.

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM
On another note, my 3 e-mails to Solid Gold remain unanswered.
Great...:rolleyes:

I chose the fish DVP because it didn't seem to have as many grains as the venison one... I'm still waiting for it though...

Maybe people here are turned off by fish, but I think it does great things for doggies. When our dogs start living 30-40 years, then I'll worry about the toxins.:shrug: And hey, Jemma and Boo can be guinea pigs for everybody too.:D

OntarioGreys
September 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I would mix the food together rather than feed as seperate meals, sometimes the ingredients are different enough to cause problems when alternating and some dogs just can't handle,

coppperbelle
September 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Great...:rolleyes:

I chose the fish DVP because it didn't seem to have as many grains as the venison one... I'm still waiting for it though...

Maybe people here are turned off by fish, but I think it does great things for doggies. When our dogs start living 30-40 years, then I'll worry about the toxins.:shrug: And hey, Jemma and Boo can be guinea pigs for everybody too.:D

I was going between the venison and fish and decided that I would start with the venison. I was concerned that the fish did not contain any red meat. At least with the SG there was some bison in it. I too like the results of feeding a mostly fish diet. I think I will do as Ontario Grey suggested and feed a mixture of both fish and venison. Either that or feed the fish formula and add my own cooked red meats.

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Well, that's the benefit of the Evo RM- it's only red meats with potatoes. It's a LOT of different red meats too.