Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any ideas on how to stop a dog licking herself

Suzan
September 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
My GSD has licked her legs before and caused sores. The first time, when we first got her, it stopped when we started her on a good exercise regiment. The next time, when she realized she was going to be left in boarding, we were able to control it almost immediately with some lotion from the vet. (It surprised me that she didn't lick at all while in boarding). This time, however, she has opened large open sores on both sides of a hind leg and on a front elbow. Nothing I have tried has helped. She doesn't do it in front of me often and when she does she will stop immed. when told to. However, I guess she keeps them open overnight and when she is alone. Any ideas?
Suzan

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Cone? It's uncomfortable...

Have you had her tested for allergies and things too? Maybe they're causing the itchiness.

PetFriendly
September 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I'd have her checked for allergies. The itch in her skin might be more than she can deal with and it licking the itch open to try and make it better. Tlak to your vet about different allergy and meds for them, try to stay away from steroids if at all possible (they create their own set of problems)

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM
What are you feeding her?

Suzan
September 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
It not an allergy but a recurrent problem . She did this in her former home ( she is a rescue). I solved it when I first got her by increasing exercise. She now has bone cancer and so her exercise has been cut back again and the licking started up again. I got a cone and some salve from the vet... she slept through the night with it and seems to be tolerating it well. Hopefully it will allow the lesions to heal.
Suzan

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Poor girl....I hope the cone (I hate those things as much as dogs do :o ) and the salve help her. :fingerscr

I realize that you can't increase her exercise because of the bone cancer :sad: but what about some mental stimulation with buster cubes, kongs, etc.? Or, just playing some kind of game with her?

vfrohloff
September 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Allergies can cause recurrent problems! What are you feeding her?

Lise
September 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Allergies can also be seasonal.The last few years seems to be worse for some reason.My collie reacts twice a year and starts licking her feet.I put her on a steroid/antihistamine combination when it was really bad a few years ago.I find she has fewer flare ups and they are not as severe since she's been on a raw diet.She hasn't needed meds since the switch.

Iggette
September 29th, 2006, 08:00 AM
try to stay away from steroids if at all possible (they create their own set of problems)

Was wondering about your comment Buddy and Casey are on a steroid/antihistamine combination now in treating for a food allergy what problems do they create?

Both my dogs have the same sort of symptoms alot of scratching and licking....no fleas present