Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about cat harness

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 01:30 PM
After seing pics of Chico2's cats outside,I tought about buying a harness if I ever got a cat.So I bought a harness,leash (why not? :shrug: ) and a 20 foot leash so that "monsieur le chat" could come with us in the yard.He didn't mind when I put the harness on him but was terrified when I attach the 20 foot leash to get him outside.So I left him inside with the harness so he can get use to it.But the harness is not the problem,the leash is. What can I do to get him use to the leash ? :confused: I tought being an outdoor cat before,he would want to come outside with us?

Skryker
September 24th, 2006, 01:35 PM
My Dancer was a stray; when I first used to take her out on the harness I had to leave the door open so she knew she could get back in the house and wasn't being kicked out again. Just take it slow with Mr. Maybe a shorter leash to start, until he gets used to having something dragging behind him? And maybe he's scared because it's a new outside, all unfamiliar territory.

And our Himmie always walked like the weight of the leash was breaking her back. :frustrated: She loved being outside, didn't mind the harness, but walked sway-backed once the leash was on.

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Do you have a shorter leash you can attach and leave on in the house for him to get used to? Or even a piece of rope or an old belt you can cut. :shrug:

BTW, is his name monsieur now? :D

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Do you have a shorter leash you can attach and leave on in the house for him to get used to? Or even a piece of rope or an old belt you can cut. :shrug:

BTW, is his name monsieur now? :D
Yes I will try the shorter leash.His name :cool: still don't know.When I call him (he listen like a dog!) it comes out ; le chat (the cat) wich is not too original. But none of the names I like suits him ! I keep hoping one will pop out in my mind....

Lissa
September 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I agree that taking it slow is best! Is it possible that the leash is too heavy for him to drag behind him? He may not like the tension it puts on the harness.

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Too heavy ? No,I don't think so.The harness,leash and 20 foot leash are specialy made for cats.I think he maybe afraid of open space.Here it's quite different than the Montreal streets.

jiorji
September 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM
i think the trouble he's having is " the odd looking thing that is attached to him that won't come off and follows him everywhere". Try letting him wear it around the house as much as possible. I think eventually he;ll start ignoring it. My cats did that too and lost interest in it fast, but should something else be tied around them they're not too happy.

Did he use the litterbox yet?:o

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Did he use the litterbox yet?:o
Yes,after 2 days :thumbs up

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Le chat de Monsieur est un garcon tres bon. :highfive:

cpietra16
September 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
:confused: I tought being an outdoor cat before,he would want to come outside with us?

Tess was outside for a while (probably thrown out by someone who didn't think she matched the furniture) before I got her and now if I open the door she walks the other way...She has no interest in going out again.

jiorji
September 24th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Yes,after 2 days :thumbs up

yay!! I hope he got a treat for that :cool:

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Le chat de Monsieur est un garcon tres bon. :highfive:
You almost got it but I'm not a monsieur,he's the monsieur.And yes,he's a good boy. Jiorji,he got some "Minouche" after the fact!

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Tess was outside for a while (probably thrown out by someone who didn't think she matched the furniture) before I got her and now if I open the door she walks the other way...She has no interest in going out again.
Maybe you're right.I open the door a zillion times a day for the dogs and the cat never tries to run for it.