Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need advice Please!!!

Heather78418
September 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I have a five month old cat . Well I recently started working all day so she is left alone . She started wking myself and my husband up all hours of the night to play. We assumed she was getting lonely so we got her a playmate from the humane society. He is three months old. She is not happy. She hissed and growled at him alot .She never go physical or anything . What can i do and will this stop? Please help!

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I think the best thing would be to search around here for threads about introducing cats. You can't just throw them into a room together and expect them to get along. Apparently, it's a gradual process (I say apparently because I'm not a cat person, but that's what the others here say...;)).

Lukka'sma
September 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Heather, I hope that your issues with two cats resolves soon. I too did this with my cat and the kitten I brought home to her from the humane society was the sweetest thing in the world. My original cat was mortified, she hissed, growled and seem to go into a depression about this new arrival. I ended up having both of those cats for 17 years and it was a daily struggle to break up the fights. It never got better. Would I bring two cats from separate litters into contact again, NO! I just think cats are far more territorial than dogs and don't like to share their space if they don't have to.
Anyway, I hope you have better luck than I did.

LibbyP
September 24th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I have had alot of different aged cats over my years, I have had my share of troubles introducing some. It can be a slow process with some but seeing as they are two juniors I don't see this being a problem with time, put the new one away(different room) and bring him out for short periods of time, if this makes you feel better. My last kitten that I brought into the house(haven't had a kitten for many years with my adult already established cat) No she wasn't happy but she has accepted him, I did not separate them except at night, from day one. They are not best buddies but they are friends. Not sure if this helps at all but good luck:fingerscr I almost forgot, how long have you had the new kitten?

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I've always had at least two cats and have never had a long lasting problem. My 4 yr. old female rescue that I have now was 1 yr. old when I rescued a 5 week old male kitten. It took about a week for her to stop growling at him and by 3 weeks they were getting along great.

Heather78418
September 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I want to thnk everyone for the advice and if you have any hints please let me know

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 03:08 PM
How long have you had the new kitten? Are you keeping them separated right now?